First Post, New 1200GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 11:25 am Thread Starter
Noob

First Post, New 1200GT

Hello to everyone. This my first post. A little over two weeks ago I was in Sierra BMW returning a couple of things. On the way out I noticed a beautiful 1200GT and decided to stop and drool. I had wanted one for the past couple of years but the price tag had prevented me from pulling the trigger. I decided to look at the hang tag and saw a price of 16,490 down from close to 22,000. The bike had six miles on it. I left thinking that my R1200RT was a good bike and I should not make any moves. Over the next couple of days I could not get it out of my head. So, two weeks ago yesterday, I rode down to Sierra BMW in the rain and long story I am now riding that K1200GT.

I had the 600 mile service done on Friday. The weather has been hit and miss going from beautiful, to snowy or just cold. I normally ride to work which is just shy of sixty miles round trip. The coldest I have ridden is 14 degrees and the other morning started the bike with at 18 degrees after the bike sat outside all night. About 150 miles have been in the rain. I have ridden a pretty varied set of conditions in a short period of time. Here are my impressions compared to the R1200RT:

Comfort: The GT is much smoother but the RT has a ltle more relaxed riding position. I would call the comfort comparison a tie.

Protection from the weather: (The GT has the tall windscreen). The RT has slightly better protection. I will emphasize the difference is slight but the nod would go to the RT.

Slow speed handling: I thought there would be a bigger difference but I find the GT quite nimble and the wet clutch is an advantage when slipping the clutch. The RT is probably slightly more nimble but for normal parking lot handling the difference is negligible. For my purposes I am going to call this a tie.

High speed cruising: I have only ridden the GT up to 120. About the fastest that I rode the RT. Both bikes are very stable at that speed but the GT felt as if it was on rails. Defintely better.

Sweeping turns: The GT appears to hold a line better and feels a bit better overall.

Twisties: For those of familiar with the Reno area, I live at the base of Gieger Grade (the road to Virgina City) I have spent quite a bit of time playing on this road with both of my RTs. The RT is probably a slightly more nimble and the GT tends to hold a line better. My initial impression is that I actually like the handljing characteristics of the GT a bit better.

Transmission: The GT seems to shift a little smoother and not quite as clunky as the RT. The difference is not huge and may just be the difference in individual bikes.

Engine and performance: Here is where the GT shines. The RT's power is very adequate while the GT is amazing. The RT is smooth but the GT redefines the word. The RT is more sensitve to being in the right gear. The GT's power band is very broad and one can be very lazy about shifting and still be rewarded with wonderful performance.

Overall, both are great bikes and there is alot of controversy as to which is the best. My opinion is that GT is an amzingly easy bike to ride. It is happy putting around but equally happy going like a bat out of hell. It is POWERFUL and SMOOTH. Overall, a much more pleasing bike to ride.

Ride safe,

Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 4:43 pm
Addict

Welcome aboard, I did the same, went from an RT to a GT, and have basically the same impressions as you explain, except I feel the GT is the more nimble of the two bikes. The RT has a higher center of gravity, and needs more pressure to lean it over in a turn, both at slow speeds and in twisties. Good luck with it !I'm confident you will be happy especially when the weather gets better. I'm tired of riding around with the winter apparel, no doubt it limits your mobility. I can't wait to stomp on it with the mesh tech, and summer gloves.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 5:19 pm
Veteran

Welcome to the other side. I too went from an RT to GT. Spent 9 years on one. When I finally got the GT I wondered why I waited so long. Happy trails.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:34 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
When I finally got the GT I wondered why I waited so long.
Maybe because the previous GT kinda sucked?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 22nd, 2009, 9:58 pm

Welcome to the boards and to the GT. Citabria eh? Guess we got another pilot/gt owner. Chalk it up (whoever's keeping track).
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 6:33 am
Veteran

I haven't flown for about a decade and a half, but yeah I got a couple hundred hours!
Without starting a flame war, what sucked about the 1st edition GT? I was sorta interested, but not enough to move off my K75.....

Gilly
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:00 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
Without starting a flame war, what sucked about the 1st edition GT? I was sorta interested, but not enough to move off my K75.....
Actually, the RS/GT isn't a bad bike overall, but it is rather heavy with sluggish handling for a bike of its size. It's not quite comfy enough to be a true tourer, and not quite sporty enough compared to others in its class. Although there are still some very happy owners out there, some of whom even think that it is "prettier" than the new GT.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:07 pm
Rookie

Congratulations on the new GT I just to have an LT and went to the GT, but can not compate a big whale to a dolphin I love my GT but miss the LT, this was a great whale in comfort but dose not compare in power and easer drive that the GT, it was a good trade. Enjoy

2008 K1200GT Adventurine Silver
2007 K1200LT (gone)
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 2:58 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Although there are still some very happy owners out there, some of whom even think that it is "prettier" than the new GT.
OH really?? heh heh, so can't afford one yet I assume, or why would someone say that??
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 7:43 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CITABRIA
Transmission: The GT seems to shift a little smoother and not quite as clunky as the RT.
Don't read this every day!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode