Trail Tech HID Lamps - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:45 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Trail Tech HID Lamps

Just an FYI. www.trailtech.net has HID lamps that look just like the PIAA HID lamps. According to the support person I talked to, they are the same lamp and they build the PIAA lamps. They are located in Battle Ground, WA and assemble the lamps there. They do not come with a relay, a switch, or wire harness but they are $149.00 each. Just thought I would pass this along. I'm going to try and use them with an AutoSwitch but AutoSwith is not sure the HID's will work with their product. I guess I'll find out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 11:14 am
IBR# 366

I've been to the Trail Tech factory in Battle Ground and no, they don't make lights for PIAA. They take an existing lens and ballast and put it in their own housing. They may be using PIAA lenses in their lights, but that's not the same as building the lights for PIAA.

Their HID lights were designed for off-road and trail bikes where you need a compact size, low power draw, and a short range. None of these are really concerns on the Beemers though. They put out a decent beam, but at a very close range only (again, think low-speed trails riding).

This makes them less useful as driving lights on a street bike. In fact, Trail Tech claims that you can run these HIDS even in the middle of oncoming traffic. That makes them good for other cars seeing you, but not so good for you seeing obstacles down the road. That's not a bad thing, but you can get the same effect with much cheaper halogen lights.

We ran a set on an LT for a while and ended up swapping them out with Philips HIDs that give a much better beam pattern with more spread and depth. So I don't really recommend these for street bikes, as they're still too expensive for what you get, without really giving you the useable light that you need.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:13 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Hid

Then their tech is lying. He specifically told me they build the lights for PIAA. They also make two beam patterns and he said they were so bright that some people have returned them - California and Australia were mentioned. They have the following patterns - Spot: 12 degree beam angle & Flood: 36 degree beam angle. Both are 30W. I'm just passing along the information as it was given to me. One of the forums on Adventure Rider (not sure of the link) says they are the same light. Don't shoot the messenger.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 12:56 pm
Addict

All you have to do is ask by email if the units are 'road legal' and have certification marks on the lenses when used with the correct lamp unit.

If they can qualify them as road legal addons for your State or in Europe (CE marked) or for oem fitting on a new vehicle, then you have the right answer.

If the 'Messenger' can post those answers, then that would be helpful to compare with PIAA. A lot of the expense of producing legal aftermarket vehicle lighting is getting the design right, stable for road use and lamp changes, then certifying/qualifying the product for legal conformity.

The whole point about a street light is you can use it. For most that means a tight low beam which isn't going to annoy oncoming and that is pretty difficult to do in a small HID lamp. Otherwise, you tie the auxiliary lights to high beam which for some riding a lot out of town at night can still be worthwhile.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 1:09 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
They put out a decent beam, but at a very close range only (again, think low-speed trails riding).
Ken, I don't know if you're talking about the PIAA lights or the Trail tech lights here. I bought the PIAA's specifically for riding in the desert at night during my 38 state trip last summer. Combined with the GT's Xenon light, while riding from Jackpot to Vegas at 3 am, it was like riding in daylight.

I have since changed them out with PIAA 1100 for "normal" riding. The Cross Country HIDs are just too bright for use in traffic. I can always change them back for another night riding desert road trip if needed.

By the way...winter in Michigan sucks!

Current horses in the stable

'07 K1200GT
'07 R1200GS
'03 F650CS
'01 R1100RTP
'93 K1100LT
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 2:55 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Not Legal

Trail Tech says they are legal for off road only. Also says they are brighter than PIAA - 30W compared to 25W. Again, I'm just going by information provided by Trail Tech.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:25 pm
Rookie

I'm going to try and use them with an AutoSwitch but AutoSwith is not sure the HID's will work with their product. I guess I'll find out.[/QUOTE]

An Autoswitch will not work with HIDs. The pulse from the HIDs causes the autoswitch
to turn off. No workaround for the foreseeable future. This straight from the manufacturer.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 8:37 pm Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Unhappy AutoSwitch

Thanks. I talked to the manufacturer too and he said the same thing. Said he wasn't sure about the smaller ballast in the self enclosed units but didn't hold out much hope. Said it may work and then again it may not. I may just go to a switch and call it good. It would have been nice to have a hidden switch. Oh well.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 10:50 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by abercrombie_pafoofnick
Thanks. I talked to the manufacturer too and he said the same thing. Said he wasn't sure about the smaller ballast in the self enclosed units but didn't hold out much hope. Said it may work and then again it may not. I may just go to a switch and call it good. It would have been nice to have a hidden switch. Oh well.
Check out the Phoenix Switches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Phoenix switch.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	668.0 KB
ID:	9820  

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2009, 7:18 am Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Smile Hid

I already copied the part numbers! Grazie!

I may try Meese's suggestion of the ASC switch housing with the Phoenix switch insert (if it will fit). It'd be nice to have it on the left side. I have the part numbers so I just need to see if the switch will fit in the housing. I'll keep you posted.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode