First oil change - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 3:57 pm Thread Starter

First oil change

Well not the bike's first, but my first. Quick question. It appears to me that at least the lower tupperware (black that wraps about the bottom) need to be removed to get at the crankcase drain plug. Is that correct or am I missing something? Even laying on the cold floor I couldn't even see the plug between the exhaust pipes.

Thanks! Going in for 6000 mile service Wednesday and I have to knock out the oil change first. cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 4:24 pm
Strafist

No plastic needs to be removed. It's there, maybe use a mirror.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 4:45 pm
Addict

K1200GT Oil Change:

Oil Filter BMW: 11 42 7 673 541
Crush ring BMW: 07 11 9 963 252
Golden Spectro Semi-Syn Oil 10w-40 4Ltrs

1. Warm oil
2. remove siphon tube from oil tank from the top, under the seat (have a container nearby to hold about 3 qts)
3. plug tube with something (foam earplug is good)or work quickly cause the oil will flow when the end is lower than the bottom of the oil tank.
4. snake tube thru frame and allow to drain completely into container
5. after draining is complete, reattach tube to oil tank
6. move drain pan to under bike and remove drain plug (between headers and in line with oil filter)
7. reinstall drain plug after complete with a new crush washer
8. loosen rear of belly pan (don't need to do this but it makes it easier to avoid mess)
9. Option (remove shifter bolt to swing shifter out of the way)
10. Get a small piece of cardboard or similar to allow oil that will come out of filter to drain into pan and not on header pipes.
11. Remove filter.
12. Install new filter (wet gasket with oil)
13. Fill oil tank with 3.5 qts of oil...no more than this at this time or you'll have a mess
14. Start engine and allow to warm
15. Take oil reading with dip stick (next to drain tube) and top off as required
16. There is always some residual oil so the bike will not take 4 qts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 5:35 pm Thread Starter

I got a big head, can't get under there. I'll get it, just wanna make sure no plastic needs to be removed. Got the info from the HoW too, good to go. Thanks
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 5:37 pm
Addict

Nathaniel, this may be helpful:
http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthread...283578&fpart=2

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 23rd, 2009, 7:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2008-K1200GT
Beat me to it, bro as I was going to append the exact same link. Doesn't get any easier, especially when you have pictures. For my first oil change I was looking too far forward for the plug between the pipes. Move back toward the middle/rear of the bike and use your hands or a mirror if your head won't fit!

I completely removed the black bottom piece of plastic that mates to the painted Tupperware panel so as to gain unobstructed access to the side mounted oil filter. In retrospect it wasn't necessary. I can just as easily remove a screw or two and get that filter changed in no time.

I also used a pump action oil extractor from Griot's Garage to suction the old oil from the sump. I much prefer that to dealing with the flimsy plastic hose that you remove, plug, and then gravity drain. This part went quickly as well.

All in all, an extremely simple oil change. I've found working on the GT to be a blast thus far.

Best of luck!

David
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 24th, 2009, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the link, I saved that a while ago, just printed it off actually. Getting into the garage today to git'r'dun.

ED: Just finished up. I was looking way to far forward at first. Found that plug with no problem when I knew where to look! Pretty easy to do the oil change but I hate having to put on the filter with a wrench. Hope it's not too tight!

Last edited by iflybricks; Feb 24th, 2009 at 12:26 pm.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 12:11 am
Rookie

Evenning just did my 1st ouil change this weekend not a big deal but BMW could have made it easier. Hardest part for me was getting the tube disconnected at the top of the oil tank, rest was ok. Must be a trick on how to pus/pull or whatever to get it off. Is that tube jsut the an easer way of seeing there is oil instead of removing the dip stick. I would think it is or someone would have come up with a retro fit to close off and just drain from the bottom. By the way my dealer sold me 10/50 and after I changed it looked in the book and it recommenddeed 10/40. I am old scholl can't go the 6000 miles will keep changing at 3000.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 9:25 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Just finished up. I was looking way too far forward at first. Found that plug with no problem when I knew where to look! Pretty easy to do the oil change but I hate having to put on the filter with a wrench. Hope it's not too tight!
I knew you were looking too far forward just as I did the first time. Glad you were successful with the oil change.

I used an oil filter wrench to remove the OEM filter that Gunther installed with 10,000ft/lbs of torque at the factory in Berlin. Conversely, I simply snugged down the new one so I won't have to summon the strength of Zeus for my next oil service.

Why did you use a wrench to install the filter? No flaming or discourtesy on my part. Just curious.

David

P.S. I enjoyed the pictures on your web site. Very nice!
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Feb 25th, 2009, 10:27 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the kudos on the photos, much appreciated.

I used the wrench to snug it down because I couldn't get my paws in there to do it by hand. Got it spun on but then it was way easier to give it a snug with the wrench.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode