Another RPM question....... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:11 am Thread Starter
Noob

Another RPM question.......

Yesterday while going across the Nevada/Utah desert I settled in with a Range Rover that was traveling 100+mph. After a few miles I looked at my tachometer and saw I was close to 6500 which was about 105. After 10-15 miles I was pleasantly surprised that the bike felt very stable. Other than hitting something or a tire issue it felt like the bike could do this all day long. I followed the Range Rover for another 25 miles (passing other bikes who must have thought there goes a real fool) before I reached my destination and had to exit the interstate, I waved and I got a wave back. On my return trip home I went more or less the speed limit (75-80 mph), but it sure was fun on the way out.

Question: After riding R bikes for a lot of years, I was not used to seeing RPM's like this bike turns, Is it okay to run this engine at 6500+ RPM's for long periods of time? I am just not used to seeing RPMs like I see with this bike.........Bob

Last edited by BMOTORCYCLE; Feb 26th, 2009 at 5:37 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:43 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMOTORCYCLE
Yesterday while going across the Nevada/Utah desert I settled in with a Range Rover that was traveling 100+mph. After a few miles I looked at my tachometer and saw I was close to 6500 which was about 105. After 10-15 miles I was pleasantly surprised that the bike felt very stable. Other than hitting something or a tire issue it felt like the bike could do this all day long................can it? I followed the Range Rover for another 25 miles (passing other bikes who must have thought there goes a real fool) before I reached my destination and had to exit the interstate, I waved and I got a wave back. On my return trip home I went more or less the speed limit (75-80 mph), but it sure was fun on the way out..................Bob
??
Dave

If it's not fun - your doing it wrong !!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 7:50 am
Strafist

You could run it even faster all day long without hurting it one bit.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:15 am
Veteran

As Grif says, it won't hurt your engine. The real issues are reduced gas mileage and law enforcement.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 12:56 pm
IBR# 366

I've run full tanks of gas at 120-150 mph. No problems at all, except your gas mileage really sucks.

** Note that the preceding anecdote is in no way an admission of guilt, but merely an explanatory example directly related to the original poster's question. Therefore it is purely informational in nature and thus inadmissible in any sort of formal proceedings. **

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I've run full tanks of gas at 120-150 mph. No problems at all, except your gas mileage really sucks.

** Note that the preceding anecdote is in no way an admission of guilt, but merely an explanatory example directly related to the original poster's question. Therefore it is purely informational in nature and thus inadmissible in any sort of formal proceedings. **
Track days only. Yeah yeah. Un huh.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:30 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
Track days only. Yeah yeah. Un huh.
Yep, that's it. And I've ridden the Autobahn, where such speeds are merely "keeping up with the flow of traffic."

Nothing like running 125+ in the left lane, passing a bus that was doing 115, who was passing a truck doing 100 in the right lane. There was a Benz literally 2 feet off my trunk because he wanted to be doing 140, and a Porsche off his bumper wanting to do more. A few minutes later we hit some city traffic and I lane split past them both.

The biggest problem is that an average of 25 mpg means stopping every 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours to fill up again. But it was so worth it.

Trust me, these bikes are built for much more than you'll ever see in the States.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:34 pm

Years ago I sat about 1/4 mile behind a Texan in a Cadillac going about 110 for a couple of hours across Nevada. It was flat, straight and boring so I was happy to have this car buffer the police for me (thanks if you are out there reading this!).

I was riding a 1980 Suzuki GS1000 and not only did the gas milage suck big time but the tires and especially the chain (I won't miss a chain) really took a beating.

Of course technology wasn't what it is today.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 8:49 pm
Enthusiast

125 will get you by a long string of HDs doing 65ish in a very short time. Stretch of road in AL. that is worn out on the right lane, so the trucks run in the left, fastest right lane I have ever been in!

If states put in a GT lane for running 125, we could get a ways pretty quick, but then like they said, there is gas to deal with.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:20 pm

Rpm......

You are oh so right about feeling comfortable at speed. Mine seems to 'settle' at anything over about 85-90 mph. Can't really explain it, but everything just seems to get together at that speed and all comes together. These bikes, engines and systems are designed for the speeds we are talking about here. Easily. Frequent oil changes, good tires, and keeping your wits about you (and keeping a eye out for the nit wits out there) will keep the bike and you happy for many many miles...

my .02

kbikeinbc
07 krystal grey met

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode