Pannier Racks - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 3:33 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Pannier Racks

Hi Folks,
I see you can order pannier racks to suit an K1200 s , but is there a manufacturer

out there which supply pannier racks to suit an K1200 GT 06 on ?

Many thanks Mack....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:24 pm
IBR# 366

Um, the '06 and up GTs come with factory panniers, so the racks are already built into the bikes . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 4:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSA250
Hi Folks,
I see you can order pannier racks to suit an K1200 s , but is there a manufacturer

out there which supply pannier racks to suit an K1200 GT 06 on ?

Many thanks Mack....
Hi Mack,

I'm confused by your question. The K1200GT comes with two hard shell side cases (panniers) that mate with the corresponding mount points on the bike.

Why would you want to install separate pannier racks that might prevent you from attaching the side cases?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 7:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

Hi Folks,
No confusion, the panniers are not big enough thats it, I wish to hold more

gear and pannier rails give that option.

I see that after market panniers and rails are available for the K1200 s why not the GT ?

Best regards Mack....
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 8:01 am

A valid issue I guess, but you'll probably have a tough time finding anything.

There isn't much incentive for a manufacturer to design a set of mounting rails for a bike that already has factory panniers as standard. Just because of limited sales opportunities.

The rear of the S and GT are quite a bit different (due to the GT's factory bags), so there's not much that would share between.

The S, on the other hand, cries out for some better bags as an option. If I were buying an S, aftermarket bags would be the first thing I would get.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 9:39 am
Veteran

Hi Mack,

Perhaps another choice would be to buy a top case. BMW makes two of them, designed to fit on the rack.

I have a BMW 49 Liter top case. It holds a lot of stuff. It is as easy to attach and remove as the side cases. If I don't need it, I leave it off.

You can also buy excellent top cases from Givi and other manufacturers too, but they require an adapter.

Other thoughts, options, and considerations:

* I keep two pairs of RokStraps under my seat, one thin pair and one wide pair. I use them to hold down unexpected items, such as when I had to pick up a car cover for my wife on the way home from work a couple weeks ago. The RokStraps can be used to strap items to the passenger seat, the rack, or both.

* You can buy a variety of bags that can be strapped to the passenger seat or rear rack. Some larger ones can extend past the grab handles to rest on the side cases. Helen TwoWheels is one example.

* What about a tank bag? Some of them are very large. My personal favorites are the ones from Bags Connection. You can get them at Pirate's Lair or at Twisted Throttle.

* Meese and others have added a Harley-Davidson rack to the top of their BMW top cases, for even more carrying capacity.

Cheers,

XMR
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 10:20 am

re adding a topcase....especially the 49 ltr one.....be prepared for the handling to be adversely effected....not so bad two-up with the case on but one up, it really spoils the stable feel of the bike....real shame for me considering how much the bloody box costs.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:54 am
IBR# 366

Actually, I did investigate putting some GS-style panniers on my GT. There are no pre-made brackets, so you would have to design and build your own rack. I came up with a couple ideas, but I've been too busy riding to chase it any further.

Your easiest solution is a top case or a dry bag for the back seat as mentioned above.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 3:18 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by decompressing
re adding a topcase....especially the 49 ltr one.....be prepared for the handling to be adversely effected....not so bad two-up with the case on but one up, it really spoils the stable feel of the bike....real shame for me considering how much the bloody box costs.
Very true.

To clarify the handling issue further, there is more than one handling issue. One is weight. It is easy to load it up with heavy stuff. Another is it's position. Because it sits so high and so far back, even light loads can affect balance. Finally, it catches the wind, especially side winds.

Any time I don't need it, I leave it at home, but I leave the side cases off and use the 49 liter top case for my daily commute to work. It is the only case that will fit my backpack and 17 inch laptop.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 5:20 pm
Enthusiast

Garage
I mounted the large Givi, 52?? which I had on my R11RS, modifying the RS mount to fit.
Sitting next to another GT with same box with the correct adapter has that box 3+ inches further back than mine. The front edge of mine is just behind the seat heater switch and does not seem to effect handling.

'07 K1200GT Crystal Gray Metalic
'00 Ducati 900 Monster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode