07' Kgt In For Service - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 26th, 2009, 9:00 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

07' Kgt In For Service

Look'n for yer thoughts on any and all of this:

Took my 07' in for service the other day w/a laundry list of issues. 2 yrs old w/ just over 32k miles of drive it like u stole it. Brks; brk light on and after further inspection I found that on the rear padsw/nearly 40-50% of the pad left and evenly worn, the rotor is grinding into where the sensor is connected to the pad. Tech indicates normal and designed to do this. Frnt pads by comparision have 50-60% left. Cam chain rattle is evident and manifests itself as described by practiioners of this site. Clutch has not only squeel, judder, but a major slip and grab that sometimes launches u like a sling shot. This slip, grab and go is getting more frequent and dangerous and was the major reason I took in. Tech said would try to duplicate and inspect. "Says sounds like normal wear and tear". I also have the dreaded stall when exiting from high speed after a duration at hot, warm, cold temps. Does yer air temp gage stop working and go blank when it reaches 14 dg's on those oh so cool drives? Thoughts on warranty, and dealing w/ a service provider that has yet to sevice any k bike w/this many miles on it. Change oil. final drive. tires, farklize, by self under this sites tutuledge.

Thxs
G E

DON'T WAX'M; JUST RID'M!!

04'KGT=RED SLED/ SAY GOOD-BYE/ SOLD
07'KGT=SQUEEEZA-LICOUS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 12:26 am
IBR# 366

I hate to say it, but it really depends on the relationship that you have with your dealer. Doing all the work at home is perfectly acceptable, but it probably doesn't endear you to them very much, which could make a difference when you need them to go to bat for you.

Folks on this list have had cam chain tensioners, air boxes, and even full clutches changed under warranty (I've had all three done). But they do like to claim the clutch is a wear & tear item, even though there is a definite design problem there.

Some folks have also had the brake pads changed under warranty, but that's usually because the sensor wire breaks due to an over-tightened zip tie from the factory rather than just because the sensor wears out.

You can get EBC brake pads for the new GT. The rear pads are FA438HH, the front left pads are FA335HH, and the front right pads are FA441HH. The bad news is that while these pads do have the provision to fit a new sensor wire, EBC doesn't make replacement wires. The good news is that you can get all three sets of pads for about the cost of one set of factory pads. But you'll have to reuse your old wire, or jumper out the sensor wire so that you don't get the constant brake pad warning light on the dash.

All you can do is be persistent and hope they come through for you. Or try and find a more amenable dealer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 2:49 am
Addict

Hey Memphis, my 07 GT is currently in the workshop for its 20,000klm service. In Australia we only get 2 years warranty from new.
My FD failed a year ago and after writing a letter to my dealer asking them to get BMW to stand behind their product they gave a free 1 year extended warranty.
While they are doing the service, that warranty is replacing all of my clutch internals, everything plates, basket, oil pump chain, sprocket, guide, slave cylinder etc.
The dealer easily replicated the squeal/judder by simply holding on the front brake while attempting to take off.
My brake pads were all replaced under warranty but for the reason Meese states which was a broken wire due to the zip ties.
Good luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 8:34 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
Hey Memphis, my 07 GT is currently in the workshop for its 20,000klm service. In Australia we only get 2 years warranty from new.
My FD failed a year ago and after writing a letter to my dealer asking them to get BMW to stand behind their product they gave a free 1 year extended warranty.
While they are doing the service, that warranty is replacing all of my clutch internals, everything plates, basket, oil pump chain, sprocket, guide, slave cylinder etc.
The dealer easily replicated the squeal/judder by simply holding on the front brake while attempting to take off.
My brake pads were all replaced under warranty but for the reason Meese states which was a broken wire due to the zip ties.
Good luck
YO YO YO
Tnxs for the reply. Talked to service rep today and he indicated that pads front and rear are designed to indicate a fault @ 50% reduction. Talk about planned obsolesence! I guess I'll just deal w/ the idiot light until I put another 20k on the pads and replace. Of course they couldn't reproduce clutch slip? Am think'n of poney'n up $90 to have them pull clutch and inspect w/the hope that they find a warranty defect. Otherwise, its the trembuchet gambit every-once in a while until it goes totaly tango uniform. Parts on order for a fix of the dreaded cam chain rattle. Dealership gm conspicuously showed up for my talk w/service tech; go figure, guess I'm a marked man?

DON'T WAX'M; JUST RID'M!!

04'KGT=RED SLED/ SAY GOOD-BYE/ SOLD
07'KGT=SQUEEEZA-LICOUS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode