Done Got Myself a New Toy! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 27th, 2009, 11:42 pm Thread Starter
2 heads are better than 1

Done Got Myself a New Toy!

I posted this on our sister site BMWLT.com, but wanted to share with with the folks here as well. I am happy to report that I am one of the first people in the San Francisco Bay Area to take delivery of a 2009 K1300GT! I am pumped! As you can probably tell, it's a red one.

And for the obligatory delivery shot

This is the culmination of an effort and interaction with BMW NA and San Jose BMW that I originally discussed in this thread back in November. Since that time my 08 GT has spent roughly 3 months in the shop (the last 2 consistently) going through a series of diagnostic and investigative procedures under the guidance of BMW NA to try and determine the root cause of the hesitation and non starting issues. I also engaged BMW Customer Relations to open a case with them in order to keep my issues visible and escalated in the system. I talked with Customer Relations regularly and with the shop even more so as various tests, parts, and other actions were taken to try and resolve the issues. Unfortunately they were not able to find a root cause that would resolve my problems.

My approach and discussions with BMW, both locally and at corporate, were at their core very simple - put a bike under me that works correctly and I'm a happy guy. Fixing my 08 GT was a perfectly viable and acceptable option. But there seemed to be something inherently wrong with my particular bike. I state it this way as I am convinced that the issues I experienced are unique to this bike, and I don't want my experiences to start a bunch of worry-wart and fear of failure threads on the model line as a whole, as I truly believe it is unwarranted. I know some others have had hesitation issues, but with the extensive amount of effort, parts, and diagnostics that was put against that issue and the other, I feel certain that there was just something wrong at the core of this bike that could not be fixed without basically building a new bike.

And after several discussions, BMW NA and I agreed that a new bike was the appropriate way to address my issues. I am not going to go into the details of what we agreed to as that really isn't pertinent to anyone but me. I will say that BMW Customer Relations and the other teams I dealt with at BMW NA, as well as the staff at San Jose BMW, were proactive, considerate, thoughtful and fair in all of their dealings with me. I could not be more impressed and pleased with the way the individuals I interacted with and the company as a whole treated me and handled my situation. Specifically, I would like to thank Katie, Jay, Doug and Derek at BMW NA, and Chris, Pete, Erik, Tom and the entire service staff at San Jose BMW for their persistence, consideration, and above par service while handling what has been a trying situation for both me and them. You all rock!

Now, if I can get a break in the rain I'm gong to go scrub those new tires in. Woohoo!!!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 3:50 am
Veteran

Isn't it Dark Graphite? OH you mean the one up front!
Congrats!
Gilly
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 7:04 am
Enthusiast

I hope you enjoy this beautiful GT. I am trying to get out of the GT business (get a 800GS), and you guys are escalating the deal, too much for me to handle. Maybe my dealer will never get one so I will not have to look at it in person or heavens forbit test ride it.

My GT sits in the garage while I ride the Tiger local and medium distance with the wife on her F650GS.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 9:05 am
Veteran

Congrats David. Beautiful bike. Beautiful.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 9:11 am
Enthusiast

Are those the seats off your "old" 2008 GT?

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 9:51 am
Veteran

Dealer was trying to get me to buy one yesterday. That red/orange/rust colored one too.

However, it has "issues" in that it will not start at all. They cannot figure out why so BMW NA is going to need to intervene as to why it refuses to start. Maybe that keyring thing is a carryover from the 2007+ era or that guy is still pinching wires too tight with the clamp ties? Think they would have figured that one out already.

So far they are one for three: one sold, one refuses to start, and third came with two right panels for the underside??

Mack
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 11:06 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
Are those the seats off your "old" 2008 GT?
Yes, those are my Rick Mayer saddles I had on the 08 GT. As far as I can tell most farkles are interchangeable between the two bike, with the exception of TechMount mirror hole mounts, since this has no mirror holes. I'll have to find a new way to mount my radar detector now.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 11:08 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Dealer was trying to get me to buy one yesterday. That red/orange/rust colored one too.

However, it has "issues" in that it will not start at all. They cannot figure out why so BMW NA is going to need to intervene as to why it refuses to start. Maybe that keyring thing is a carryover from the 2007+ era or that guy is still pinching wires too tight with the clamp ties? Think they would have figured that one out already.

So far they are one for three: one sold, one refuses to start, and third came with two right panels for the underside??

Mack
Interesting, I've ridden all three GTs my dealer has received (mine being #3) and no issues with any of them.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 11:25 am
Enthusiast

Congrats David.
Enjoy and ride safe.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old Feb 28th, 2009, 11:41 am
Enthusiast

I had a similar experience w/ my '07 GT. By the time I worked my way up the chain of command at BMWNA to Derek, with enormous and persistent help from the service manager, I was finally able to resolve matters in a similar fashion and with a happy outcome...although I did have to sign a non-disclosure agreement about how it was settled.
Glad to hear that BMWNA is apparently increasingly willing to do whatever it takes to make a customer satisfied when they are simply unable to resolve issues w/ a bike...and it does appear to be a small percentage of bikes that are just 'bad'. Glad to hear of another GT rider who had a happy outcome.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode