Noobie Clarification on Battery Chargers - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:20 am Thread Starter

Noobie Clarification on Battery Chargers

I am a very recent (a couple of days ago) BMW K1200GT owner (2008). Although a long time owner of a variety of different bikes, this is my first "canbus" bike.

I am actually having a bit of information overload here. I have found so much information on this subject that refer to a number of different year/model BMW bikes, that I'm not sure what specifically applies to me. And some of the information seems a little out of date and contradictory as well.

After many years of various technology, sizes, etc. of batteries, and various chargers, I am pretty much sold on Deltran Battery Tenders. I would prefer to use this proven technology to keep the battery topped up on my new BMW. Not to mention it's cheaper than the "over the top" BMW one!

I also would like simple connectivity for some temporary electronic devices like a GPS.

What I thought would be ideal is to have a second powerlet connector next to the factory one (I'm not even sure where the factory one is yet!) and have them marked "canbus" and "direct". I believe harnesses are sold for this purpose. I have also heard that you can "convert" your factory canbus powerlet connector to a "direct" connection. That might be an alternative to a second one, but my gut tells me to leave the factory one alone.

The plan would then be to get two powerlet "pigtails". One with the battery tender connector (leave on the battery tender) and one with a "cigarette lighter" socket (for other accessories). I have seen both of these for sale as well.

Thoughts? Recommendations? Convert the existing factory one to direct? Add a second one? Something else completely? Good online sources for the required hardware?

I want to jump on this pretty quick so I can keep my BMW on a Battery tender (Jr.) while in the garage (like all my other bikes).

Thanks in advance for your advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 10:53 am
Strafist

If you want to keep your charger I suggest getting an Odyssey PC680 battery. You'll find the stock battery, besides needing a special charger to desulfate and keep it up to snuff, will be pitifully lacking. In hot weather my bike would slowly crank before catching. With an Odyssey it spins like crazy.

The powerlet connector is basically what you feel like doing. I have the original hooked to canbus and it's worthless, it shuts off at around 5 amps draw and to use it with the BMW special charger you have to go thru a routine. I kept my stock one simply because I had an extra available when I brought the bike home and stripped it down to farkle it and add the fuse block.

I know it's a waste to buy a new battery for a new bike, but in the long run you'll be happier and you get to keep your old charger and not buy a new charger. At around 100 bones for the special charger, you've already saved money buying an Odyssey for around 68 smackers.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 12:30 pm
IBR# 366

Many folks have added a second powerlet outlet for just the reasons you mentioned.

Another thought is to add a cigarette lighter plug directly to the battery. That keeps it up front where you would need it for a gps, phone charger, mp3 player, etc.

Or you could go whole-hog and get a powered tank bag.

But I prefer my tried-and-true charging method: Just ride the damn thing and let the alternator do the work.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:45 pm

Question

sorry for the thread hijack, but uh, whut special battery charger?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 6:57 pm
Veteran

This is all you need.... http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=48054 Keep your current charger
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 7:00 pm
Addict

This is the ridiculous Canbus charger, that might work, and might not. Just bypass the thing, and go directly to the battery anyway you like, as the guys have suggested. I did it with the standard SAE plug, but I'm not happy with it, I'm going to the powerlet option next you can find it here:
http://www.powerletproducts.com/shop...36-harness/158
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	355_B.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	35.8 KB
ID:	9880  

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 3rd, 2009, 8:43 pm
Strafist

What he said, he said, he said and he implied, but in serious kind of way.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 5:17 pm
Addict

Add the second accessory outlet directly to the battery and use that to charge through.
as was said.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 6:32 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Add the second accessory outlet directly to the battery and use that to charge through.
as was said.
This is exactly what I've done to my last two CANBUS BMWs. It looks factory. You can plug a non CANBUS charger into it, plug a Gerbing vest into, plug a tire pump into...and on and on.

Order the KRS accessory socket. Part # 71602337054 $56.00
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 4th, 2009, 9:19 pm

Cool

ok, it was late and I somehow didn't get the fact that you guys were talking about charging the battery in the bike (since mine is currently on a workbench in the basement).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode