Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Garland, Texas, USA
Well now Good Dr, suppose I'll be one of the few fielding this question as I finally put on a set of these R&G Racing sliders just the other weekend - after I dropped the bike of course and had to pay out the nose to have my Tupperware fixed, sanded, painted, and shot with clear. Got 'em from my buddy Jerry over at Pirates' Lair as well. He saved my ass big time after I made a critical error that I'll cover in a moment.
To answer your question from the get-go, the installation of the sliders is pretty darn easy as most of the maintenance items are on the GT. It's just a damn fun bike to work on. Having said that, I ran in to a few "gotchas" with my particular install. I offered to do a similar write-up for Jerry to post on his web site that would act as ancillary instructions to the one page documentation that comes with the R&G product.
First thing missing from the R&G instructions is an obvious one. After you remove the side panel (Tupperware) there's a odd shaped piece of black styrofoam covering the engine bolts. No news flash here but you gotta take that off to get to the engine bolt in question. More on the black styrofoam later, too.
The factory engine bolts come out extremely easy with no heating, knuckle busting, or use of a pry bar. Where I got in to trouble was torquing down the replacement bolts from the kit. Since I didn't have a suitable 22mm open end/box end wrench or socket, I used much too large a tool and snapped the R&G bolt well inside the engine. Can you say dumb ass? To make matters worse it was a Sunday but as mentioned above, Jerry saved the day. We must have traded 4 or 5 emails and Monday afternoon a replacement bolt was shipped out. He cannibalized an existing kit to help out. Now that's stellar customer service boys & girls. Jerry has a customer for life in me.
So, learn from my huge mistake and don't torque that bolt down with the strength of a 'roided up Jose Canseco or Arod. Use the specs provided in the instructions with the proper tool.
The second "gotcha" occurs when drilling out the rather large hole in the Tupperware. Included in the kit is a threaded scribe with an extremely sharp tip that you temporarily screw in the R&G engine bolt (the one I snapped). With this scribe in place put your panel back on and it makes a mark on the inside of the Tupperware where you drill a pilot hole.
The R&G instructions say to use a 28mm hole saw but I tapped the brake pedal before committing to that drastic a step. In my opinion a 28mm hole is way too large for the sliders. I wanted it smaller and like Angelina Jolie's dress at The Oscars, form fitting.
Follow me here. With my pilot hole drilled I put the black styrofoam piece back on and installed the side panel using all the screws. I then took the long frame slider bolt and slid on the cylindrical spacer (leaving the actual rubber slider off). Since the pilot hole was big enough and I had previously used masking tape around it, I was able to screw the slider bolt into the new engine bolt and push the spacer right up against the Tupperware panel where I traced the outline with a pencil. From there I took my time with a variable speed Proxxon tool equipped with a sanding wheel (the German equivalent of a Dremel tool) and made the hole in the Tupperware large enough to accept the black cylindrical spacer and no more. Again, 28mm would have left quite a gap around the spacer.
After the hole in the Tupperware was completed you'll also have to remove some material from the black styrofoam piece on both sides. You must make room on the inside of it for the new larger engine bolt, and on the outside for the cylindrical spacer.
As you're no doubt suffering from information overload, PM me with further questions. It really is an easy install when you don't break any bolts or make other mistakes.
Best of luck!