3M "Invisible Bra" - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 1:26 pm Thread Starter

Question 3M "Invisible Bra"

No, it's not as exciting as it sounds!

If you haven't heard of it, it's a transparent film that can be applied to painted surface. It is "invisible" (or nearly so) and provides protection against scratches, rock chips, etc.

I was thinking of having some applied to the bags on my K1200GT while it is new and scratch-free. From previous bikes, I know the bags take quite a beating.

I was wondering if anybody has had this material applied, and what positive/negative experiences you had.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 1:30 pm
Veteran

I've used the stuff for years.. I use it as a tank pad, on the sides of the tank, and anywhere else that I think i'll get wear and tear. Zero downside except that you have to learn how to apply it correctly.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 1:37 pm
IBR# 366

I had the full Clear Bra setup applied to my GT when it was new. No problems 2 years and 77K miles later. It was expensive to have done, but they covered everything - fenders, fairing, gas tank, side covers, saddlebags (there's a lot of odd angles and curves that I just didn't want to mess with). I pretty much never wash the bike, but it still looks really good under all that dirt.

After my center stand broke and the bike fell flat on the right side, I took it back to the Clear Bra shop. They redid the saddlebag and side fairing bits and it looked as good as new, although I think maybe we actually washed it that time.

You can see what took the brunt of the fall on the saddlebag and the back edge of the fairing in the pic. Notice that the BMW saddlebag guards hardly show any scuffs at all.

Like I said, it was expensive to get it done professionally, but it was still cheaper than a paint job or a new fairing panel.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Mar 5th, 2009 at 3:08 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 2:19 pm Thread Starter

Hmmm... Never thought of having the whole thing done. I do plan on taking it to a professional. I was more concerned about bag scratches handling the bags on trips, getting on and off the bike, etc.

But, your tip over story is pretty impressive. I may take the whole bike to them.

I assume you don't apply any wax or the like. No problem with UV hazing or anything?

Looks like pretty impressive stuff!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 3:07 pm
Addict

Tried this stuff?

http://www.thetankslapper.com/buy/to...ction/bmw.html

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 3:12 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon
But, your tip over story is pretty impressive. I may take the whole bike to them.
I added a link to my post above that tells the whole story.

No, I don't bother with wax, either. But my buddy owns a Triumph Tiger and he's much more meticulous than I. I'd been riding with him for almost 2 years when he mentioned his Clear Bra was just starting to come up at a corner. I looked closely at his bike, and had never even noticed that it was on there in all that time. That's what really sold me on the stuff.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 4:16 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
Interesting... Is the "3M" stuff they are talking about the same thing? Sounds like it. I wonder if I could order a complete "3M" kit from them and have a pro install it.

Might go better than having the pro do it all custom... And maybe a little cheaper.

Not sure if I want to try it myself. I fought with some "stomp grip" on my track bike, and don't know if I want to attempt this stuff!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 4:23 pm
Rookie

Had BMW installed on the whole bike tank, bags, fender etc. including the headlight, great stuff especially on the bags prevents markings. Total cost at Blackfoot BMW Calgary Alberta $500.00.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 4:46 pm
Enthusiast

I put some of the 3M film on my headlights and it has been great. The headlight assemblies are expensive and it has been nice having some insurance against rocks and hazing that occurs over time.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Mar 5th, 2009, 6:07 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon
Interesting... Is the "3M" stuff they are talking about the same thing? Sounds like it. I wonder if I could order a complete "3M" kit from them and have a pro install it.

Might go better than having the pro do it all custom... And maybe a little cheaper.

Not sure if I want to try it myself. I fought with some "stomp grip" on my track bike, and don't know if I want to attempt this stuff!
The 3M stuff is not the same as tankslapper. 3M is more durable, but tankslapper can be applied easily and removed easily and reapplied.
Tankslapper sticks by static, not glue. I had tankslapper and it worked fine. Eventually, I changed to techgrips for the tank sides. Tankslapper is precut. Even a caveman can apply it. Check the videos on their site and see how to apply it.

07 BMW K1200 S (cosmic blue/titan silver)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode