New Clutch - New Noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 3:02 am Thread Starter
Addict

New Clutch - New Noise!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I took my GT in for a 20,000klm service 3 weeks ago,
I had been living with the clutch noise(ROARK) and slight judder issue for almost a year.
I told them that I had a big road trip coming up (next Friday) and asked if they could take another look at the clutch while they had it.
A phone call later that day put a smile on my face when they said that they had easily replicated the noise and that they would be replacing the whole clutch asembly, oil pump chain, guides sprocket and slave cylinder under warranty.
As usual, most of the parts had to come from Germany and i ran the gauntlet hoping that I would get the bike back in time for the trip.
I picked her up this afternoon feeling pretty pleased with myself only to start hearing a new noise on change down.
By the time I got home it was doing it when the clutch was released in 1st and also on change down.
When I start the bike and pull the clutch in to engage first gear I get it again and can feel a slightly notchy resistance in the clutch lever.
The new noise sounds more like a squeek than the previous noise, The previous noise only happened under load, two up, fast start etc but this seems to be doing it on almost every clutch application.
I bought my bike with 6000ks on it so didnt have it new.
Has anyone else had this problem, is it just a new clutch noise (wishfull thinking). I will call them tomorrow (saturday here) but unfortunately I fear that they wont have time to pull it down and or rectify it before next Friday.

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 4:02 am

Hi Andrew

That is a real bummer. You should be harassing your dealer no end over this. I have not had any of the issues you have raised and would be f$%#&#g pissed if I had. You would think the dealer would be embarrassed to give you the bike back when something is not right. Hey he doesn't sell Harleys as well by any chance. That would explain a lot.

Have fun in Tassy you lucky bastard, I am really missing the riding down there at the moment. I have been thinking about taking a bit of time off and going down for a while. I have a K1100 RS down there that needs a bit of attention. If this cyclone up here starts turning right any time soon I might do it.

Cheers
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 4:09 am Thread Starter
Addict

Thanks John, yes they do sell Harleys!
Im going for a ride in the morning for breakfast in the mountains behind surfers paradise.
About 200ks round trip, I hoping like all f%$k that i can ride it out or I might be taking the GSA to Tassie!!

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 6:12 am
Enthusiast

I finally got my clutch replaced under warranty after persistent complaining about the squeal at take off that I had ever since I bought the bike at 1400km. I think it was during the 30,000km service, or not long after, that I replaced it. The new clutch is worse than the old, much more juddery and nearly as much squeal under heavy load. The only time it is smooth is when I ride away from the dealer after fixing something and as soon as I do a few minutes riding it is back to its old ways again.

I have complained to Classic BMW in Perth several times but no one is interested in doing anything after already replacing everything after my complaints the first time. I am getting my 40,000km service done next week but I have given up on the clutch and will just keep riding and ignore the noise and judder. At least that is not as difficult to live with as the high idle that I had for over 20,000km.

The bike is actually running well apart from the clutch after having just about everything that can be replaced fixed under warranty in the last two years. I am just waiting for the drive shaft to go now that it is out of warranty.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Bob, my bike was sold new at Classic in Perth. Maybe we got two from the same batch.
Its a late 06 without servo.
I did about 200ks on it today and its f#$%ed!!!!!!!!!! and I am seriously pissed off.
It will be going back on Monday morning and it looks like I will be taking the GSA to Tasmania.
It now squeals intermittently on take off as well as squealing on decel with clutch held in when coming to a stop.
I also now get a fierce transmission lash when letting the clutch out in 1st while rolling.

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2009, 7:46 am
Enthusiast

My bike was sold in October 2006 and is the non servo version, hence I call it a 2007 as per the US system. We would call it 2006. Sounds like they are a similar batch.

I will be interested to see if you do get a fix for the clutch. My all new clutch is as juddery as hell and when I take off the windscreen shudders like a Harley. It is not as noisy as the original smooth clutch but still makes a squealing grinding noise if I try to take off quickly.

You have probably seen by my posts that I have had the brake pad warning light problem so new pads, high idle / new air box, new rear shock due to ESA failure, new computer due to ESA failure, new later model seat and new clutch, that I can think of off the top of my head. I ride the bike every day and the good thing is that I get a free loan bike while all these things are getting sorted or a service done, so it is not as time consuming as it would otherwise be.

Anyway, good luck with your bike and I hope it gets fixed. Ride an F800 and you will see that the clutch is perfect so why can't it be perfect on our bikes?

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2009, 7:17 pm

Man that sucks. Give your dealer hell. If I'm down your way anytime soon I'd love to have a listen to your bike. I am now getting worried I am compensating and not hearing or feeling any odd behaviors on mine.

Mind you all this may be a blessing in disguise for Tassy. On that GSA a lot of country opens up for you. Look at your maps real close before you set off each day and the rewards will be magnificent.

Cheers
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2009, 9:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Now Im really stumped. Ive had it out twice today and cant get it to replicate. Ive done about another 100ks and nothing.
Now Im truly nicked in the head about which one to take, A failed FD ruined this trip for me last year and Ill kick myself if the clutch fails when I had a choice of bike.
The next biggest threat to this trip for me is currently travelling down our coast as we speak and might mean it is postponed for a while.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cyclone hamish.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	9898  

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 2:05 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadicool59
I took my GT in for a 20,000klm service 3 weeks ago,
I had been living with the clutch noise(ROARK) and slight judder issue for almost a year.
I told them that I had a big road trip coming up (next Friday) and asked if they could take another look at the clutch while they had it.
A phone call later that day put a smile on my face when they said that they had easily replicated the noise and that they would be replacing the whole clutch asembly, oil pump chain, guides sprocket and slave cylinder under warranty.[/B]
Sorry but ...........

It is premature to change whole clutch asembly with only 20000 km on clock;
By signing you I understand that you are an experienced rider.

From the beginning I have bought my GT make noise at the first change speed and beyond.

German / European gearboxes .....
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 5:07 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Sorry Cazer, when German engineers design clutches they dont engineer in noises.
If you are comfortable about the noise your clutch makes power to you brother.
I personally hate any noises coming from any vehicle of mine that shouldnt be there.
I once pulled the hoodlining out of one of my cars on a long road trip to find and stop a rattle that was totally giving me the shits.
A clutch as I am sure you know is a friction device and the one in question is wet ie bathed in oil.
There are 2 issues that I have with the faulty clutch design that is evidenced on my bike. A - I hate the noise and it embarrasses me when I take off from the lights. B-and far more importantly, this noise is indicating pre-mature wear and if left unattended will fail me somewhere, typically a long way from home.
This issue has been discussed persistently on this forum and it seems to morph itself in different ways on different bikes.
Some owners have escaped the problem all together while others have been plagued.
To answer your question in the simplest form, YES 20,000klm is way too low to be changing the clutch, as was 6000klm to change the failed ABS Modulator, 7,500klm to change the airbox, 9,800klm to replace the failed FD, 13,000klm to change all of the disc pads due to warning light etc. My view is that these new gen Ks were of largely new design when released. Unfortunately many of the issues that have plagued many owners seem to have been BMW R&D carried out by consumers.
BMW seem to have dealt with many of these issues over the last 3 years and I think that the new K1300 is actually a re-release with all of the issues of the 1200 sorted. Time will tell.
Despite the dreadful pisscup brake and clutch cylinders I would love to buy one but this time Ill wait and see for a while as I stay glued to this forum

10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode