Sun Effects on KGT Display Panel - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 6:44 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Sun Effects on KGT Display Panel

I rarely park my K1200GT in the sun. Twice since I've owned it, I parked it where the sun was behind the bike, without really thinking about it. It wasn't hot, but the sky was clear. When I got back on the bike, the display was very faint and unreadable. It took as long as an hour before the display was fully "restored".

Does this effect cause permanent damage to the display?

Do you do anything to protect the display when you park? If so, what do you do? (Yeah, yeah - cover it up, but how do you keep the cover from blowing off?)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:13 am
Addict

All LCD displays react this way when very hot, or very cold. I have never noticed any permanent damage occurring, when temps return to normal the display works fine. But you bring up an interesting point about lasting effects. Maybe an engineer type can explain to us further

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 2:04 pm
IBR# 366

It takes less than a minute to put my half-cover on and hook it to the foot pegs so it doesn't blow off. And less time than that to pull it off and tuck it away. Of course, I have that handy cover storage box available.

So if I was just popping into a store or maybe for lunch I might not bother, but if I'm at work or if it's raining then I just cover the bike and forget about it. Also, the cover tends to hide the electronics from prying eyes, and it means I can lock my helmet and jacket to the bike with a simple cable lock then just cover everything up. That's especially handy on a long, two-up trip when the bags and trunk are full.

As for the original question, I am an engineer, but I can't help you with the details of LCD longevity. Sorry.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 4:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
It takes less than a minute to put my half-cover on and hook it to the foot pegs so it doesn't blow off. And less time than that to pull it off and tuck it away. Of course, I have that handy cover storage box available.

So if I was just popping into a store or maybe for lunch I might not bother, but if I'm at work or if it's raining then I just cover the bike and forget about it. Also, the cover tends to hide the electronics from prying eyes, and it means I can lock my helmet and jacket to the bike with a simple cable lock then just cover everything up. That's especially handy on a long, two-up trip when the bags and trunk are full.

As for the original question, I am an engineer, but I can't help you with the details of LCD longevity. Sorry.
Got any links for the half cover and cable lock? Could be exactly what I'm looking for.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 6:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by iflybricks
Got any links for the half cover and cable lock? Could be exactly what I'm looking for.

I used this 1/2 cover all last summer on my 1050 TIGER and really like it. I don't know if they make one to fit the GT but you could ask. Although it doesn't keep your bike 100% dry in heavy rain, it does the job of sun protection and keeps prying eyes/hands off your bike when you're not around. Plus it folds up to about 1/2 the size of my full cover so I tend to always carry it with me. see= http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...000-Cover.aspx

Coach
North Conway, N.H.

'09 R200GS
'10 Triumph Tiger-SE
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 6:55 pm
IBR# 366

Check this thread, specifically post #20. I used a Dowco Guardian Traveler Size XL cover, but any of the waterproof half-covers will work the same.

As for a cable lock, almost anything works there. Just get something long enough to string through your helmet, jacket sleeve, and the passenger grab handles. It doesn't have to be super-tough as the cover hides everything, and it's usually only sued for short stops (lunch, sight-seeing, etc.).

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Mar 7th, 2009 at 12:10 pm.
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 7:38 pm

Thanks Ken.

For never washing your bike your final drive and rear tire look a lot cleaner than mine

When you said half cover I was thinking of a cover that wraps the headlight and windshield and terminates more or less at the front seat. Cover the tank and electronics.

Kinda shaped like that teardrop one-man tents. Anyone ever see one of those? That would be pretty packing friendly.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 8:08 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
For never washing your bike your final drive and rear tire look a lot cleaner than mine
That's because the FD keeps failing and getting replaced.

Quote:
When you said half cover I was thinking of a cover that wraps the headlight and windshield and terminates more or less at the front seat.
I think those are called bikini covers. Don't know where to get one though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 6th, 2009, 9:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
That's because the FD keeps failing and getting replaced.

I think those are called bikini covers. Don't know where to get one though.

Google here I come!
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Mar 7th, 2009, 8:36 am
Enthusiast

Cover

I'm sure there are other vendors, but www.motorcycle-superstore.com has 3 or 4 half-covers listed from 30-40 dollars each. It looks like they are light weight and pack to a reasonable size.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode