First Extended Ride on My New 1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 11:21 am Thread Starter
2 heads are better than 1

Thumbs up First Extended Ride on My New 1300GT

Yesterday I took a 250 mile jaunt on my new K1300GT. Mostly backroads with some freeway to connect the fun bits. It was a beautiful day here; mostly sunny with temps from 56 - 68 throughout the route. For those that know this part of California, the route was Uvas Canyon to Day Rd, then down through Hollister, Cienega Rd to 25, 25 to Bitterwater then over to King City (tacos, anyone?) short shot down 101 to 198, back onto 25 and the entire length of 25 back to Gilroy and then home to San Jose. Here's the short version of my take on the new red beast -
  • Handling - Awesome! It love corners, and the ESA II setup and settings are much better than the original ESA. The steering does feel a bit lighter than before.
  • Comfort with the new taller factory bars - Excellent, watch for a set of bar risers going up for sale soon
  • Hesitation - Haa! Fooled you, there is none! It was weird, for a time while carving up canyons when I was transitioning on the throttle I kept expecting the hesitation from the 08 GT to be there and I kept screwing up my lines. Not until now did I realize how prevalent that issue was on my 08GT. Oh, I did get over it rather quickly
  • Tranny - smooth shifting through all the gears, all the time. The clutch pull feels lighter than on the 1200, but the 1200 was far from heavy.
  • Motor - DUDE, IT IS SWEET!! Power all over the place, torque from way down low and just grunty pull everywhere. Linear, immediate, and fast delivery of GO when, where and how you want it, all the time.
Here's a good example of what I mean. A guy on a new R1200RT who could really ride (this guy was fast and handled that thing practically like a sportbike) caught up with us approaching an accident scene on the return trip on 25 and blew past us before he saw the CHP and slowed down. We got past the incident and he opened it up, and I decided to see how long I could keep up with him. I forgot how nice it is to have a skilled rider in front of you so you can follow his lines and have some early warning for braking, lean angles, debris, etc. Well, after about 20 miles of canyons where I don't think we dropped below 70 for more than a few corners, the chicken strips on the new tires are virtually gone. And after the canyon the road opens up into a couple of very long straights. So RT guy opens it up and gets rolling about 120, and I'm staying with him, he pulls to about 130 and I decide, "what the hell", and give the GT the full stick. He nodded as I went past at around 145, and I backed off as a hill approached pulling 154. Nothing about the bike cared it was going that fast, and it was still spooling up more power to go faster. Truly sick.

So all in all a very fun day on a great new bike, and I got a new high speed mark for myself! Woo hoo!

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 12:36 pm

Sounds good

But err, are sure you will not attract the attention of the online CHP while glorifying almost supersonic speeds ?
Too bad I have to wait another month prior delivery.
Keep posting road stories with your K13, that will keep us dreaming in the mean time.
Good work.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 1:21 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre
But err, are sure you will not attract the attention of the online CHP while glorifying almost supersonic speeds ?
Maybe they'll give him an online ticket? Besides, I figure he was talking in Km/h.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 2:11 pm
Veteran

Glad you like the new bike......how ever, the next time you talk about an "Extended" ride I believe there's an old BMW riders rule that stipulates "Extended" as any thing over say 1000 miles.....or maybe it's 10,000 miles.........

250 miles is officially just a minor jaunt.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 2:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Maybe they'll give him an online ticket? Besides, I figure he was talking in Km/h.

Uhhh..... yeah... that's it... Km/h, that's what I meant...

David Taylor
San Jose, CA

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Mar 9th, 2009, 2:34 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Glad you like the new bike......how ever, the next time you talk about an "Extended" ride I believe there's an old BMW riders rule that stipulates "Extended" as any thing over say 1000 miles.....or maybe it's 10,000 miles.........

250 miles is officially just a minor jaunt.
Good point. I did refer to it as a jaunt in the write-up. I'll be sure to use apporpriate verbiage in the future so the BMW gods do not rain down upon me with great anger and failed farkles.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode