K1200GT Next Generation - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 5:54 am Thread Starter
Noob

K1200GT Next Generation

Guys
Currently have a 2004 K1200GT which is a great bike. Will be coming into a small inheritance and thinking of purchasing a next gen GT and sell the current bike. How much better is the new model? I like my 04 GT because it is really smooth, comfortable tourer for the pillion misses, handles well and can do the maintenance because it is still a brick engine. What is the valve adjustment on the new engine?

Would be really interested in candid opinions from my BMW brothers and sisters.

Change over could be around $8k Ausy dollars.

Thanks in anticipation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 8:34 am

My personal thought would be if you can find the right deal go with the next generation. I had a 99 K1200RS then got an 06 K1200GT which gave me a lot of trouble but when it worked it was the best bike I ever owned. Then in Nov. our dealership had a clearance of the 08 K1200GT's for the K1300's and I traded my 06 for an 08. I have only 1000miles but I feel the 08 is much better and fine tuned than the 06. The seat is better the computer has the latest updates, the air box is the new box and I have not had any issues with my new bike.
Other than the mechanical issue I had the bike was a better touring bike than the RS I had. The side bags are easy to use and 37liters a piece. I put a Givi 46 liter top box on for long trips and have more than enough storage. The bike looks like a sleeper but there is not much on the road you won't be able to keep up with.
So, just my opinion but I would recommend if you can get the right deal trade up to an 08K1200GT.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 7:34 pm
2 heads are better than 1

I had a 99 K12RS and loved that bike. I had an 08 GT and just got a 09 1300GT. The new motor platform and the bike overall are absolutely fantastic. More power, better handling, lighter, all in all just a better machine all around. Definitely get the 1300GT, this is the bike BMW meant to make when they made the latest gen 1200GT.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 9:32 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidTaylor
I had a 99 K12RS and loved that bike. I had an 08 GT and just got a 09 1300GT. The new motor platform and the bike overall are absolutely fantastic. More power, better handling, lighter, all in all just a better machine all around. Definitely get the 1300GT, this is the bike BMW meant to make when they made the latest gen 1200GT.
So.
Do you like it?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 4:01 pm
2 heads are better than 1

It'll do in a pinch.

David Taylor
San Jose, CA
2010 BMW R1200RT Polar Metallic
2008 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S Red (of course)

The shortest distance between two points is for people who don't ride!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 7:56 pm Thread Starter
Noob

How smooth is it compared to the Brick engine and any thoughts on maintenance. What I have found with the brick engine, the engine has enough smarts that tells you that all is not OK and then you have to take to dealer and plug in the computer. Consequently can still do your own maintenance with care, even the brakes.

Do you know what sets the valve clearances?
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 9:28 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcrawford
How smooth is it compared to the Brick engine and any thoughts on maintenance. What I have found with the brick engine, the engine has enough smarts that tells you that all is not OK and then you have to take to dealer and plug in the computer. Consequently can still do your own maintenance with care, even the brakes.

Do you know what sets the valve clearances?
It's very smoothe and you'll know, say, if a coil pack goes south.

The GS-911 is very good at reading the codes, minor maintenance is a snap. No one has had the cojones to do the valves, yet. They are shim under.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:25 am

I will give some fatherly type advice.

Is there anything wrong with your current GT?

Why not run the snot out of it for a few more years, invest the money in the depressed market, wait for the rebound, and then buy a new /slightly used 1300GT with any issues known by then.

Terry

2007 K1200 GT
1998 R1100 RT traded in
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdTbone
Why not run the snot out of it for a few more years, invest the money in the depressed market, wait for the rebound, and then buy a new /slightly used 1300GT with any issues known by then.
Ah, an optimist! I personally think that by the time the market bounces back, the current model will be a K2400GT7.

I really do hope I'm wrong though.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
It's very smoothe and you'll know, say, if a coil pack goes south.

The GS-911 is very good at reading the codes, minor maintenance is a snap. No one has had the cojones to do the valves, yet. They are shim under.

I got em! When mine gets there, I'm going for it! Of course, it might take me TEN YEARS to get to 24k!!!!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode