Scorpio Alarm - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 1:20 pm Thread Starter

Scorpio Alarm

Well, I am now the proud owner of a very shiny and pricey new motorcycle. Unlike all the previous "oldies but goodies" I've owned, I'm more than a little concerned about somebody stealing it.

I thought I'd fit my first bike alarm system. I have searched around here and other sites, and it sounds like the factory system is a little ho-hum.

For my needs, I was interested in a Scorpio alarm system, due to the two-way remote unit.

Looking at their site, I noticed they had "plug-and-play" wiring harnesses for nearly everything except BMW's. I contacted them by e-mail (and they quickly responded ).

They stated that BMW does not make their OEM connectors available to them, so you need to use their universal kit. There are a few problems with ABS errors appearing if you aren't real careful how you wire it.

Ok, so I have some information. Anybody have any "real world" experience with wiring one of these systems into a GEN2 GT?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 1:35 pm
Veteran

I have one installed on GT2. No problems My dealer suggested the BMW alarm. Looking it over, I wasn't impressed as it doesn't have the ability to inform you that something has happened to the bike.

The Scorpio alarm is a better unit as it has two-way communication. I put a couple of those LED circle things from local Cycle Gear shop beneath the front seat pointing to the sides instead of messing with the Can-Bus system on the '06 GT. They are bright and get ones attention better than the flashing of the brake lights.

Nice thing is that the Scorpio also has a proximity sensor so if someone should get within your preselected range, the unit will beep a warning and if they persist, it will go full alarm and also inform you via the remote (which either will beep or vibrate which works well should you place it on a motel nightstand).

Has a knock-over sensor as well as a bump sensor. Records the time of the incident too. You can also set it for silent and it will inform you as to incidents like when your dealer really began working on your bike (sneaky!).

Just a better alarm and about the same cost as a BMW alarm. Got mine from the manufacturer in Arizona. Good support from them as well.

Mack
post #3 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 4:38 pm Thread Starter

So, you run it as a completely separate unit (just hooked to the battery)?

Heck, that sounds easy enough for ME to do...

Under normal wiring circumstances, is the only connection to the wiring system a light connection for flashing the lights?

I guess I assumed that it would be doing some other "disabling" sort of stuff when activated, hence requiring lots of wiring tie-ins. But then, I've never had a bike with an alarm before...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 5:31 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon
So, you run it as a completely separate unit (just hooked to the battery)?

Heck, that sounds easy enough for ME to do...

Under normal wiring circumstances, is the only connection to the wiring system a light connection for flashing the lights?

I guess I assumed that it would be doing some other "disabling" sort of stuff when activated, hence requiring lots of wiring tie-ins. But then, I've never had a bike with an alarm before...
Yes. It's direct to the battery only. No other wires connect to anything other than the LED lights I stuck on the sides beneath the seat from Cycle Gear. Stay away from the CanBus System!

You cannot connect it to the bike's lights at all. See Cycle Gear and add some aux. LEDs or something and hook that one wire from the Scorpio (their alarm light wire) to them and then ground the other side of the LEDs. Don't try and hook it to the bike's brake, tail, or turn signals else you will get all sort of Can-Bus faults.

The small antenna wire for the remote can be snaked down through a small water drain hole in the back under the seats near the rear fender. You can feed it between the two plastic pieces of the rear fender and license plate holder.

You cannot use their immobilizer portion. Your bike already has one (key ring) so you don't need to splice into the Can-Bus at all. Stay away from it!

The proximity sensor can be Velcro'ed to the top of the oil-box. I thought under the top tank fairing cover would be better and give more front sensitivity, but it turns out that it works quite well under the driver's seat on the oil bath top. I set it to activate down to about 3 feet warning range since cars next to it set it off too often when set out to 10 feet. It does get people to back off when they hear it chirp (me too!).

Hardest part is learning all the button pushes for different functions on the remote. You could pay a dealer hundreds of dollars to try and do it, and they will screw it up in the process and it still won't work right (damhik!). You'll get better install help from Scorpio if needed.

I had to put it all together on the living room floor and figure out the proximity thing along with the LEDs before I moved it to the bike using a 12 volt power supply. Dealer gave up after a few hours and thought it was defective as they kept tripping the alarm during the install. Turned out they messed with too much of the control/remote/shaking configurations and were doing it all wrong and the remote was trying to tell them they were setting it off and storing the "bike shaking" and "proximity alert" codes. The alarm was doing it's job all along, they just didn't figure it out nor read the instructions that well. It is a different beast than the BMW alarm so it threw them off. Tech support at Scorpio was really helpful on getting it set up right initially to move to the bike.

Interesting part is the alarm's remote will store the actual time the mechanic actually messes with the bike from off the center stand to shop, off the stand again, etc. if you set it for "silent alarm and no notice" and it will store the proximity or shake time info on the remote. Then you can ask them why you were billed for 3 hours work when they only moved it between the one-hour interval stored on the remote. Opps!

Mack
post #5 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:09 am
Cruisin the MidAtlantic joyfully

I have both the BMW alarm and LoJack on my K-bike. I'd recommend both.

wintermute
'08 BMW K1200GT
'10 Ducati 1198 S Corse
'10 Ducati Streetfighter S
post #6 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 2:42 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by wintermute
I have both the BMW alarm and LoJack on my K-bike. I'd recommend both.
I had the misfortune of finding the GT knocked over in a motel parking lot the evening prior to it's 6000 mile service. Damages cost $4500. At that point I decided I needed some sort of alarm or something since I never heard it go crash and it was right outside my room's door.

The BMW alarm has no two-way communication and no proximity alarm either. I doubt if you can find a better alarm than the Scorpio, although the Lo-Jack is nice if it gets stolen and they find it. Then again, it might be some underage punk kids and the cops won't give you their names since they are minors so you cannot prosecute them.

The two-way off the Scorpio is pretty slick. I've left tons of pricey crap on the bike and no one gets near it for too long and it tells me if someone is messing with it. It will rattle itself to death on the nightstand in a motel or coffee shop if someone is lurking around it. A good loud shout of, "What the f'ning hell do you think you're doing?" sets them flying - or just trip the remote siren.

Mack
post #7 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:47 am Thread Starter

Thanks for all the detailed info. Hopefully all this functionality isn't too much of a draw on the already limp-wristed battery. Sounds like a winner. Hopefully it won't get stolen before I get one. Definitely before the first big trip.

I looked into the LoJack. According to their site, no installers within 100 miles of me.

I wish they'd bring the Datatag system over from the UK. I like it's concept. Somewhere between an alarm and LoJack.
post #8 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 7:54 am

Gorilla?

Anybody have any experience with the "Gorilla" alarm. From the ads, it seems to have similar properties to the Scorpio.
Don G
post #9 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 7:31 pm

Scorpio Alarm

+1 on the Scorpio Alarm.

I followed the install instructions and didn't have any issues getting it setup.

While there's a little bit of work running the wiring up to the battery (take off the bodywork...also may want to remove the fuel tank which will help running the wiring cleanly and install the Omega metal fuel line disconnects now) the process will probably take anyway from 4 hrs to a full day depending on how anal you are about the install.

And yes, the prox sensor is great once you have it set up properly. I've had a few people tell me how my bike 'chirped' at them when it thought they were getting a little close. Also have it set for under 3 feet - so yeah I'd say if I wasn't there - they were getting a little close.

Great product, no problems.

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #10 of 33 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2009, 11:33 am
Veteran

Fwiw, and since some have asked, I'm using these LEDs since the Can-Bus doesn't like the Scorpio being attached to it for the warning lights:

Cycle-Gear Electropods

I stuck them on beneath the driver's seat area (put seat in lowest position first) and they are bright and easily seen from the side. I've got mine grounded to some silver bolt on the frame beneath the seat. The Scorpio rests in the curved cowling area near the saddlebags with Velcro. I just shoved the positive lead up along the left side of the tank and it eventually and magically appeared where needed.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode