Key Questions that come to mind (K13GT) - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 4:13 pm Thread Starter
JIS

Key Questions that come to mind (K13GT)

Some questions as I prepare to take delivery of my K1300 GT SE (with extra bits) :

-Is it a problem to leave the cruise slider switch permanently “on” ?

-Are any of you believers in “run’em hard” running in schedules? If you are; what oil did you use and how often did you change it. (if you don’t know what I am talking about, please see http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm

-Although it is recommended that we use premium grade petrol (sorry, “gas”) have any of you strong views on this ?

-I have been told that the OEM tyres could be Metzelers; Michelin or Contis and that BMW don’t differentiate between manufacturers. (Well, I do, and I know what I would like). What have you guys had delivered on your new K12 / K13 GT; are / were you happy ?

-I have Xenon headlights with the SE model; does this make a noticeable difference?

Enough questions for now !

Thanks

John

John I. Stephen - Tunbridge Wells, Kent, UK
K1300 GT (quite superb ! )
Triumph Tiger 1050 (2008)
K1200 GT (2003)
R1150R (2002)
Suzuki GS 750 (late 1970s)

Last edited by JIS; Mar 10th, 2009 at 4:40 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 4:35 pm

I have a K1200GT, 2008 model. Xenon headlight is even and bright, love it. I've had my cruise "on" for the last 5000 miles, no troubles yet. Don't know if the K1300GT is different on break-in but the 1200 was nothing about 7k rpms and don't dog the engine for the first 600 miles. Lots of rev changes and gear changes to get those rings to seat. After that, ride it like you stole it to keep those rings seating in. Just did an oil change at 6k miles and put in the BMW synthetic. Drained oil looked pretty good for 5500 miles on it.

Premium is recommended because it is such a high compression engine, helps prevents detonation (knocking). That being said, the computer, if it senses any problems, would just adjust the timing to avoid any problems. So you could run regular gas with no troubles, just take a hit in performance. Not sure if it would affect your mileage at all.

Tyres, I had the BT020 battleaxe in my bike. Great tyres, no complaints. They did start to scallop (or cup) around 4500 miles but I changed them at 6400 and they still had life on 'em. Good tyres, happy with them. Put on Avon Storms, haven't got to ride the bike yet though.

cheers
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 10th, 2009, 5:38 pm
Enthusiast

I'm a low mileage guy and pretty conservative rider. Pilot Road 2s are my favorite. Having said that, I have a Road Smart on the rear right now. I have little over 20,000 miles.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:26 am
Enthusiast

My cruise control has been on for 40,000km. It only gets turned off when a mechanic does it while servicing the bike and then it gets turned on as soon as I get the bike back.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 12:42 am
Enthusiast

Cruise control has been on since I bought the bike, 22000 miles ago.

I run Road Smarts, tho I don't think BMW will deliver with them.

Agree with break in previous answers. Ride it hard after the book breakin period, and don't baby it. I switched to Amsoil at 6k miles.

Guy Howard
K12LT 05 (sold)
K12GT 07 - build 12/06 BMSK-P ECU (ASC retrofit), V.3 airbox, new o2 sensor @18k, PowerFrk module @25k
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 4:27 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Some questions as I prepare to take delivery of my K1300 GT SE (with extra bits) :
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
No. 200K miles, 3 bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
-Are any of you believers in “run’em hard” running in schedules? If you are; what oil did you use and how often did you change it. (if you don’t know what I am talking about, please see http://www.mototuneusa.com/break_in_secrets.htm
Yes. BMW. 600 & 6K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
-Although it is recommended that we use premium grade petrol (sorry, “gas”) have any of you strong views on this ?
No. Cheap stuff. Mpg = same.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
-I have been told that the OEM tyres could be Metzelers; Michelin or Contis and that BMW don’t differentiate between manufacturers. (Well, I do, and I know what I would like). What have you guys had delivered on your new K12 / K13 GT; are / were you happy ?
Z6. No. Storms rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
-I have Xenon headlights with the SE model; does this make a noticeable difference?
Yes. Really yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
Thanks
No problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS
John
Ken

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 6:26 am
Enthusiast

K1300GT tyres

Bridgestone 020's out of the box in Australia
cheers Andrew
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:58 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIS

Thanks

John
Hi John,

I switch my cruise on and off, but I use the switch to "take manual control" when I reach certain sections of my daily commute. It wouldn't hurt to leave the cruise on all the time, unless the LED annoys you when you don't need it on.

I followed BMW's recommendations for break-in (run-in). Gentle acceleration. RPMs under 7K. Varied the RPMs and gears a lot. I trusted BMW's written instructions on that one, and yes, I had seen many other suggested break-in protocols, which vary widely. I always wondered if anybody test rode my bike before I bought it, and how hard they rode it. It had 26 miles on the odometer when I bought it, but there is no way to know. So far, so good (14,000 miles in 18 months).

I change the oil every 3,000 miles and use BMW oil (not synthetic). I ride a 15-mile daily commute, and about half of it is stop-and-go, which is one reason why I change oil frequently. Because I change oil so frequently, I use the less expensive BMW dino oil, rather than a synthetic.

Per BMW's instructions, I always put premium grade gasoline (petrol) in the GT. I try to use "Top Tier" stations, but will occasionally put the cheap stuff (Costco) in the tank. The premium fuel that we have here in California is only 91 octane and it sucks anyway. Formulations change between winter and summer here, too.

My 2007 K1200GT came with Bridgestone 020s. I replaced them at 6600 miles when the rear tire took a nail. The rear tire was close to the wear bars, and the front tire was scalloped. I replaced them with Michelin Pilot Road 2s, which I like better than the Bridgestones. I haven't tried other tires on my GT yet.

The Xenon headlight makes a big difference. Not having the Xenon headlight would be a deal-breaker for me, although you can always add aftermarket Xenon headlights.

Cheers,

XMR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 11:30 am

I always slide the Cruise switch to off after I accidentally brushed the flip switch to set the cruise while I was decelerating... All while I had only one hand on the bars! It made for a bit of an exciting few moments...

The new controls have a slightly different set up. A larger set lever?

I do remember another member here complaining about a "sudden acceleration" of the bike and having to do with the cruise being told to "resume" a previously set speed...

I prefer to err on the side of caution... YMMV

Spafxer
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 2:00 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by spafxer
I always slide the Cruise switch to off after I accidentally brushed the flip switch to set the cruise while I was decelerating...
Tapping the brakes will disengage the cruise, as will pulling the clutch in just slightly. So I never touch the cruise on/off switch - it's always on. But you can use it to bump up or down your speed if your other hand is previously occupied with something else, like programming the gps or grabbing a snack.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode