Wheel Removal K1200GT Help Needed - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 4:56 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Wheel Removal K1200GT Help Needed

Need some assistance in removing the front wheel on my 07 1200GT, I removed the fender and brake calipers, my book says to "remove the right-hand axle clamping screw" which I did, book also says DO NOT loosen or remove the left axle clamping screw, then remove the "quick-release axle". The quick-release axle is not moving at all in any direction with much more force than I would consider normal, yes I am using a 22mm tool. 40+ years of experience but none with this GT. Thanks in advance. RonP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 5:14 pm
Enthusiast

I know this sounds "dumb" and I apologize if this insults you but there have been a few who have loosened the wrong "right" side pinch bolt. If this is the first time off the bike, you may want to use a breaker bar with someone sitting on the bike and off the center stand. Again, Sorry!!! When I did mine it was a tough first turn...Good luck.

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 5:15 pm
Enthusiast

You are doing what the book says, the right hand is the one where the hex socket fits. Shouldn't be that tight. The axle screws into the left side which should remained pinched to keep the proper spacing. ???

Maybe someone else will have more to offer.

12 Super Tenere 1200 (coming soon)
10 MTS1200 standard (riding)
09 Monster 696 (wife's ride)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 5:24 pm
Addict

Front wheel removal:
Remove the fender, its four screws and just makes it a bit easier....
Remove both calipers/and hang them out of the way. Wiggle them as your taking them off to spread
Raise front wheel (jack up to clear ground contact)
Loosen the "pinch" bolt on the left side only !!!
Don't touch the right side. You are only going to loosen the side opposite the sensor.
Using a 22mm hex ,you unscrew the axle and remove it out the left side while supporting the wheel.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 8:51 am
Enthusiast

You better make sure everyone is talking right or left as you are sitting on the bike, not facing the bike from the front!!! The side opposite the sensor IS the right side when sitting on the bike. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we call right or left as we are facing forward???

Gary
2007 K1200GT
Dark Graphite Grey
New Jersey-Don't Laugh!

Last edited by rebeltown; Mar 12th, 2009 at 8:57 am.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltown
You better make sure everyone is talking right or left as you are sitting on the bike, not facing the bike from the front!!! The side opposite the sensor IS the right side when sitting on the bike. Correct me if I'm wrong but don't we call right or left as we are facing forward???
Correct. When speaking of right / left it always is associated with sitting on the bike looking forward.

Good luck with that wheel!

David
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:47 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Update: The book is correct, remove the pinch bolt from the right leg (right as in standing behind the bike looking forward) then remove the axle thru the right leg using a 22mm tool. In my case I had to apply steady even pressure to the 22mm tool using a long piece of pipe for leverage. No it was not overkill, Tibor at the factory overtightened the axle, apparently he misplaced his torque wrench that day and had no idea the torque was 37 ft/lb (50Nm). Upon removal and inspection of the axle I found that it had been installed with no sign of anti seize other than in the middle of the axle and none on the business end where it was needed, the threads were dry! I am unhappy that I had to go thru this but thrilled to shit it did not happen on the road. Ride Safe! RonP

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode