New Camshaft - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 9:51 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

New Camshaft

Took the 06 GT with 37364 miles in for valve check. Valves were fine. But the camshaft (both exhaust and inlet) were pitted and needed replaced. The mechanic said I could probably wait (another 16k or so) but that they would eventually need replaced. The bike was already torn apart for the valve check and I had the extended warranty, so I had the camshaft(s) replaced.

Has anyone else replaced (or even checked) their camshaft?

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:20 pm
IBR# 366

First case I've heard of. There was mention of camshaft problems on the original K12S, but I believe that was before that bike was released to the public.

It figures you were just out of BMW warranty, but I suppose that's what extended warranties are for.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 11th, 2009, 10:57 pm
Veteran

Okay. That's pure crap!

I had a Honda that had pits in the camshaft at a low mileage. It was plain poor - if not intentional - quality control from Honda with them using "Grade B" parts in new engines. The new one ordered was flawless in appearance when I had to do the overall. Pits occur in the forging process due to air pockets and not dissolving metal due to oil or whatever lame excuse they dream up. Most often, cams will run a long time - and often out of warranty period - since the cam's pit is often smaller than the surface area of the rocker contact area. Too bad it chews away at the rocker and makes adjustment difficult down the road.

Not acceptable.

Glad I got the 7-year service deal on the purchase if this is how BMW builds their bikes (aside from their noted ongoing final-drive crap-bearing B.S.). Someone will hear from me if this sort of crap manufacturing nonsense shows up on mine.

Camshaft pits indeed!

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:25 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

GMack, Just saying...on your next valve check also check your camshaft.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 10:47 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-1
GMack, Just saying...on your next valve check also check your camshaft.
Check.

I will ask the mechanic - whomever it will be - to check for pits. If needed, at least I've got the additional 4 years on the supplemental insurance to carry it through. Still, it's pure B.S. if BMW is installing factory-second cams hoping they will last until the final moment of "Just-outside-warranty" so they can reap/rape another $2000 or whatever out of an owner.

Mack
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:35 pm
JCW
contributor

I think this was the exact problem the original K1200S bikes in Europe suffered as mentioned above.

A lot of times, parts like this are contracted out to different companies. Like pistons, conrod and crankshafts.

Not everything is made in house at BMW.

So the QC has to be up to snuff at the camshaft factory as well.

Also they are at the mercy of their metal supplier to ship quality metal to them. Sometimes a bad batch gets through and unless every batch is checked, sometimes a set of cams will be poor.

No excuse, just saying...

'06 K1200R- in pieces
'73 Honda CB500F- slow but fun.
'77 Yamaha XS 750 triple- kinda
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 12th, 2009, 11:44 pm
IBR# 366

Don't crucify BMW just yet on this issue. There have been a lot of cases where something that has failed just outside of warranty has been covered. Obviously documentation helps, as does a good relationship with your local dealer, but BMW has been known to come through on such items in the past.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 13th, 2009, 7:39 pm Thread Starter
Let's Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Don't crucify BMW just yet on this issue. There have been a lot of cases where something that has failed just outside of warranty has been covered. Obviously documentation helps, as does a good relationship with your local dealer, but BMW has been known to come through on such items in the past.
Meese, In support of your above statement: The dealer told me that he probably could have gotten BMW to cover the expense if I didn't already have the extended warranty.

2006 K1200GT
2009 G450X
2004 KTM525 SX
199? Dune Buggie
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old Mar 15th, 2009, 7:19 pm
Noob

When I pulled the cam in my Volvo B23E a couple of years ago it looked flawless, despite having covered 465000 km. Certainly no pitting. One of my Corollas ticked over to 230000km recently (just getting broken in, really!) and its cams look fine too.
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2010, 11:37 pm
Rookie

My bike is in the shop now with the same prob. I took it in to get the valves and spark plugs installed and the mechanic found pitted cam prob, Bmw said it is aware of this prob and im still under warranty.The shop told me that it is going too be $3600 in parts not including labour. He said the 16 rocker arms are $2000. So get it checked out when valves are getting looked at.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode