No engine braking! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2009, 6:59 am Thread Starter

No engine braking!

Last year whilst in Spain, I had a problem when shutting off the throttle, the bike didn't slow down!

Temperatures were in the mid 30's, and the problem lasted for a good 15 minutes or so. Quite disconcerting to shut off for a a bend
and find you ain't slowing down!. Everything then goes wrong. Speed approaching the bend is too fast, braking has to be much harder and is further up the road than you wanted to be, and corner entry is poor at best.

I had the "problem" fixed with the new airbox and ECU software, and all was well for quite some time, BUT, the problem came back.

Perhaps you saw my "Season opening ride report"? Well, we started off in the valleys at around 17.5 degrees, but parked for an hour or so at the top of a 1498m col while we had lunch, where the temperture was only 7 degrees. Setting off afterwards it was ok for a while, but soon I started to find that at 3000rpm, shutting off had no effect at all, irrespective of what gear I was in. Lots of downhill hairpins and twisty lanes soon became a nightmare, god knows what my wife behind thought I was doing as I shouted and cursed at the lack of braking. Eventually it seemed to stop, only to resurface again in town, where first gear held the revs at 2000rpm, before slowly descending. Stopped at traffic lights with revving engine was not great, and again lack of engine braking was apparent.

I made the decision to go straight to my dealers, and amazingly for France at 16.00pm on a Saturday they were still open. They took it straight in and put it on the diagnostic, and gave it me back (after I'd taken the K1300GT for a test), stating they had reinitialised the system. By this, I assume they mean they reset the TPS sensor. Immediately the bike felt smooth, and like a new machine, even the handling seemed much better. I've read somewhere that the ESA and engine management are linked.

My question is though, what caused the problem in the first place? 10 degrees difference in temperature shouldn't make that much difference, and suppose I'd not been able to stop or brake in time for a bend due to lack of engine braking. Be difficult to explain why you crashed, who's going to believe the bike didn't slow down!!

Ideas anyone? Am I going to get this as a recurring problem? Anyone experienced the same thing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 16th, 2009, 8:14 am
Strafist

Originally, some of the dealers were having problems installing the new software, or getting the ECU to accept it.

Now, if they just reset the TPS, you'll likely have problems again.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 1:33 am
Enthusiast

My bike was the same after the airbox upgrade, although it was never perfect and was still slow to reduce idle from 2000rpm. It finally got worse and worse until it was back to the full blown high idle and I had to do something. The dealer did the same thing as yours by reinitialising the settings using their computer, which seems to be more than just a TPS reset. My bike has now been good for over 10,000 km so I think it is finally fixed.

Bob

2007 K1200GT Graphite
Ex 1986 Kawasaki GTR1000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 11:06 am Thread Starter

That sounds positive and gives some hope. Maybe I'll be lucky!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode