Washers for Shifter fix??? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 12:18 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Washers for Shifter fix???

Okay I took the advice and bought the bearings. Bought the SS #8 washers too but boring them out is nye impossible, okay difficult.

So then the source of the washers that will fit was noted.
http://www.bikeman.com/BO1261.html

But hey for $3 worth of washers they want $9 for shipping.

Is this a part that can be readily obtained from a motorcycle shop? Hardware store?

I understand its only $12 but that equates to $6 per washer used....a little extreme.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 12:36 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
Okay I took the advice and bought the bearings. Bought the SS #8 washers too but boring them out is nye impossible, okay difficult.

Is this a part that can be readily obtained from a motorcycle shop? Hardware store?

I understand its only $12 but that equates to $6 per washer used....a little extreme.
Give me a ID & OD measurement and I'll see what I can come up with.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 4:37 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Well the Shifter fix posted here noted #8 Stainless Steel washers then bore out with a 5/16" bit.

The other option noted was the washer noted in the website I noted.

Spec: 8.2 x 12 x 1 mm

so I'm guessing 8.2mm ID x 12mm OD x 1mm thick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 9:36 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs

Product Quantity Price/Ea Total

Kalloy 1mm Washers for Seatbinders 8mm ID Bag of 10 1 $2.95 $2.95
Shipping: USPS First Class Mail $3.17
Sales Tax $0.00
Total $6.12

If you change the shipping method to USPS first class, shipping is $3.17. If it makes your 20K bike work better and you can fix two bikes with the parts, how much is too much? You got the advice for free, they showed you where to get the items, they will be delivered to your door, come on, be happy.

kymshu

07 GT Blue
09 HD Ultra Red & Gold
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Mar 17th, 2009, 10:17 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I must have missed the USPS shipping...i just saw the $8.95 and thought there must be a easier way.

Thanks.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 7:51 pm
red
Rookie

These washers work fine and arrive for about $5 total. Ever so slightly loose on the ID, but much better than the flintstones washers I made.

I needed 2 inside and 2 outside for the lever to move freely when snugged-up.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 9:56 pm
Capn' Blowhard

Quote:
Originally Posted by red
These washers work fine and arrive for about $5 total. Ever so slightly loose on the ID, but much better than the flintstones washers I made.

I needed 2 inside and 2 outside for the lever to move freely when snugged-up.

Same thing here - good price (be sure to select USPS) and use 2 washers on each side. Ooops, I mean "warshers" (have to remember to speak Texan)

Use a dab of red loctite (as the factory does) on the bolt as well - mine came a hair loose after my first test ride (aprox 17 miles). For those who didn't use loctite, you may want to check your bolt if you've put miles on it...the washers work great, but appear to help loosen the bugger with use.

'07 BMW K1200GT
'06 Ducati Classic Sport 1000 Monoposto
K7 GSX-R 1000
"Oh, somewhere deep inside of these bones, an emptiness began to grow. There's something out there, far from my home, a longing that I've never known..."
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:33 pm
Veteran

I just bought some stainless steel washers with a 5/16" hole in them. Mounted 3 of them on a long 5/16" diameter carriage bolt between two nuts and spun them down on against a grinder by hand. A file with the bolt in a 3/8" drill may do the same, but I couldn't wait that long.

When spinning the washer's O.D. against the grinder, and once they just began to grind off the two nut's hex edges, they were about the right O.D. for the assembly. It was really easier than trying to drill out a smaller one for the proper I.D. Mine took 3 (one outer + stock washer, and 2 inners).

Mack
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:37 pm
red
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
A file with the bolt in a 3/8" drill may do the same, but I couldn't wait that long.
Lacking a bench grinder, I tried to make two this way (file, drill). Either the SS washers were too hard, or my file too dull, but it took forever for me and I got bored after 30-40 minutes testing them for fit and never quite got them small enough.

Ordering by mail was the best use of my time/skills All came out well in the end. Quite happy.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode