BBS, hi idle... Should I buy a GT? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:23 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Question BBS, hi idle... Should I buy a GT?

Hi everyone,

I'm a '06 RT rider considering to buy a 07 or 08 GT. I've tried it several times and loved the moderate sporty feel and the smoothness of the engine. But while thinking about the worse weather protection (than RT) and buffeting problems, I've read the issues like hi idle and BBS problems. When I look at the picture, I see nearly half of the GT owners having these problems with their bike. Some of them solved the problems, but some of them still having. On the other hand, most of them still loving it.

At this point I'm very confused. The weather protection is important for me but I may solve this by aftermarket products. So the main problem will be the engine . Because the importer company in my country is not good at the points like customer satisfaction and if it happens, I'm sure they wont replace my airbox under warranty.

Even if I accept to pay it myself, I won't be sure that it will be fixed.

In this situation what would be your advise? Should I sell my problem free RT for a mysterious GT? I hope to hear something good cause I'm really loving it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 12:52 pm
Addict

I came off of an RT and bought a 2008GT. Mine has a March 2008 production date, and so far I have had no issues. Mine was produced with the bulk of the upgrades, the only thing they replaced just before delivery was the immobilizer ring. If you get a late production 08 you should be fine, or if your really concerned get an 09. Now to the weather protection. I had an 03 RT with a Vstream Windshield, which was great, couldn't ask for more weather protection. I thought I was going to be giving up a lot of protection, but that's not the case. The only difference I noticed is that my feet are in the airstream a bit more than on the RT. This is most useful in hot weather, and not terrible with the Oxtar Matrix boots I have in the winter. I find the GT easier to ride than the RT, less shifting, the engine is nearly impossible to lug, and despite the numbers it feels lighter, and much more agile. I say go for it. By the way Welcome aboard.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Lightbulb Gt

I have an 08 with a March build. Below 2K revs (necessary some times in traffic situations, or restricted speed areas) it is terrible when hot. Over 2K it is just fine.
My only complaint. Otherwise I love the bike. It is my second one. Had an 06 and ran out the warrantee period.

Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by merCan
Hi everyone,

I'm a '06 RT rider considering to buy a 07 or 08 GT. I've tried it several times and loved the moderate sporty feel and the smoothness of the engine. But while thinking about the worse weather protection (than RT) and buffeting problems, I've read the issues like hi idle and BBS problems. When I look at the picture, I see nearly half of the GT owners having these problems with their bike. Some of them solved the problems, but some of them still having. On the other hand, most of them still loving it.

At this point I'm very confused. The weather protection is important for me but I may solve this by aftermarket products. So the main problem will be the engine . Because the importer company in my country is not good at the points like customer satisfaction and if it happens, I'm sure they wont replace my airbox under warranty.

Even if I accept to pay it myself, I won't be sure that it will be fixed.

In this situation what would be your advise? Should I sell my problem free RT for a mysterious GT? I hope to hear something good cause I'm really loving it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 2:26 pm
Addict-oholic

The high idle, bbs situation has pretty much been resolved. My 06Gt had the problem, but was taken care of with the new airbox and upgraded software. Whatever bike, you look at, check to see if the work was done irregardless of whether the symptoms showed.

You said that almost half the owners had the problem. Actually, that is not the case. Speaking with the service dept of my local dealership, it is mopre like less than 20%. Here on the web, there is a bit more vaocalization of problems than what is actually happening in the real world..

Buy this bike and you will love it.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 3:29 pm

I've got an '08, so far so good. Like everyone is saying, BBS and hi idle are fixed now, or fixable should you find a bike that hasn't been serviced in the last two years. Engine-wise, not an issue. Good weather protection, I have an Aeroflow windshield, love it. With all that air protection I do get warm in the summer, but not a deal breaker.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 20th, 2009, 8:54 pm
Addict

I have an '06. Had BBS. New airbox and software fixed the issue. In truth, it wasn't a "problem". It just had a lot of torque right off the line. Most people, including myself, just found it hard to ride in crappy traffic. It never did and still doesn't have an issue on the freeway. I feel like I'm a lucky one because I LOVE my servo brakes. Later ones don't have 'em. To those that slam the servo brakes, my response is 1.) I NEVER ride my bike with the power off, and 2.) you have power brakes on your car DON'T YOU?

B.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 4:23 am

Should you buy a GT. Don't really know. If it grabs you go for it. Only you know the answer.

However for what its worth I have had no issues of any sort with my 4/08 version. Mr BMW does seem to have got all the bugs out, some may say at last. No doubt in my mind the GT is a far better bike than the RT but thats my opinion only.

Cheers
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 21st, 2009, 7:43 am
Noob

I just bought an 08 GT in October, all problems worked out and could'nt be any happier with the handling and engine characteristics of this bike. Being young and a sportier rider I think it is the perfect bike for me on longer trips or weekend getaways than the RT.

'08 K1200GT Dark Graphite
'03 CBR 954RR
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 6:08 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Thank you very much for all of the replies. Now I will be focusing on late '08s. It will be hard to find as second hand. Or I will look for early models but has the airbox replaced. Is there a way to understand if the airbox is replaced or not? And in some messages I found a version number of V3. Is there a newer one or should I look for it?

If I can't find one, I think I will stay with my RT and wait some more for 1300's. By the way has the problem solved with the 1300?

'07 K1200GT (new toy)
'06 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
'06 F 650 GS
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 6:28 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by merCan
Thank you very much for all of the replies. Now I will be focusing on late '08s. It will be hard to find as second hand. Or I will look for early models but has the airbox replaced. Is there a way to understand if the airbox is replaced or not? And in some messages I found a version number of V3. Is there a newer one or should I look for it?

If I can't find one, I think I will stay with my RT and wait some more for 1300's. By the way has the problem solved with the 1300?

From the sound of thing, yes. The 1300 is everything the 1200 should have been. That being said you'll get my 1200 when you pry it from my cold dead fingers.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode