Why does it sound so bad? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 22nd, 2009, 9:22 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Why does it sound so bad?

This guy just had to make the K1200GT sound bad all day long. He'd fall back, read a map or have a smoke, spray on some Tyre-Grip, and zoom by again and again - not that I ever do that to the Harley folk.

At some point, I could hear him coming over the BMW engine. Hate to say it, but that clunky BMW engine just doesn't sound right with him around.

Quicktime Movie on BMW engine "Noise"

Maybe a Leo Vince Ti exhaust?

Actually, the Suzuki pilot was quite good, annoyingly good if you know what I mean. I could stay ahead of his buddy atop the noisy GT, but the Zuki was just too clean and sounded too sweet.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 10:35 pm
Enthusiast

Yep you're right....but it would only be worse if you were passed by a V10 Moto Guzzi with a set of Staintunes and the guy looking back at you with a smile. Sometimes the sound just makes it more enjoyable, other times it's a curse.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:30 am

I don't think it's bad. Now that I own one, if it sounded all smoove like that I'd be a little bummed. There's something extra in our exhaust note, a depth, a hint at something more. Big bike, big ass torquey motor. She ain't a show horse, she's a worker and will pull all day. Now get a video of you making that pass at 8k and pullin' and see what that sounds like
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2009, 6:49 pm

I think a K1200RS sounds just fine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQl7c76ABH0

Marc
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:57 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by lomax
I think a K1200RS sounds just fine.
Sure it does, but it's so last decade.

Wait, come to think of it, our K12GT's are now obsolete, too.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 1:32 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese

So true.

Too bad BMW hasn't some sort of sound associated with them other than the high-pitched "Reeing-Dingy-Dingy" and their infamous "KA-KLUNK" tranny. That Gixer just sounded too sweet.

Even Ghost Rider's 500hp Turbo Hayabusa didn't sound that neat either with hi-rev rpms, imho.
http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...69604612882573

I just think it needs a better low-sounding sports car growl. A high-pitched pipe like Remus just seems to bring out all the high-frequency engine "noise" with it.

Mack
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 1:47 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese

You got me there.

Marc
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 1:56 pm

Speaking as somebody who owns both (a GSX-R and a K1200GT), I think the GT sounds fine. It was one of the things I liked when I bought it.

I've also recorded on-bike video. There is a big difference in sound when the mic is on the gas tank versus a bike passing by. Believe me, particularly on the earlier oil-cooled GSX-R's, they sound like a hundred enraged sewing machines through a camcorder mic on the dash.

But, they both sound sweet riding by. The K1200 a bit quieter of course. But I don't really want a loud touring bike...

I like the sound of most engine configurations. Triumph triples, Ducati's, Guzzi's, etc. all have their charm...
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 2:43 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilodon
Speaking as somebody who owns both (a GSX-R and a K1200GT), I think the GT sounds fine. It was one of the things I liked when I bought it.

I've also recorded on-bike video. There is a big difference in sound when the mic is on the gas tank versus a bike passing by. Believe me, particularly on the earlier oil-cooled GSX-R's, they sound like a hundred enraged sewing machines through a camcorder mic on the dash.

But, they both sound sweet riding by. The K1200 a bit quieter of course. But I don't really want a loud touring bike...
hmmm.... Might need to go set up the camera stuff and see what sound it makes from a distance.

I saw some guy's setup on another website. He had a full-blown stage mike under his seat in some foam pipe-wrap pointing towards the rear. I may try that next and see if I can isolate or minimize the engine noise from the exhaust. I don't know if it's possible to tune a mike to ignore the engine noise. Need to see if I have some adapters to plug in the VIO recorder direct to a mike.

Don't know about the K-tranny clunk though. Downshifts 3-2-1 really are annoying on mine. I've had people in town stare at me when the thing "Ka-Klunks" like it was going to throw chunks out onto the pavement at any moment.

Mack
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 2:57 pm

This is definitely a big deal to the manufacturers. The DB ratings for certification (EPA I believe) are measured by a mic at a distance when the bike is at a certain RPM. Any noise they can "take out" of the mechanical noise of the engine is noise they can "add" to the exhaust to get a nice sound the buyers like.

I believe the Styrofoam blocks on either side of the GT's motor are partly to silence FI and alternator noise.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode