BMW K1200GT Starting Problems - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

Arrow BMW K1200GT Starting Problems

Hello,
Im wondering if anyone knows, the problem that I have with starting regarding the following icon, located within the picture below. The bike turns over but will not fire. Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks,
Don
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges 004.jpg
Views:	667
Size:	1.29 MB
ID:	10042   Click image for larger version

Name:	gauges 003.jpg
Views:	584
Size:	1.23 MB
ID:	10043  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 4:55 am
Veteran

Unrelated problems. The odd symbol is telling you that there is a front light not working. There is a variation on this where the arrow faces down, which means a rear light is not working.
It should start in this configuration as far as the side stand and transmission. Even with the side stand down, in neutral it should start, would only shut off (or fail to start) if the trans is in gear. "I believe" anyways, this thing is so complex. Would be worth a try to make sure the stand is up and clutch lever pulled. Seems like most no-starts end up being the side stand switch. Emergency shut off switch is in the start position, right?
Gilly
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 6:00 am
DrD

My bike had a problem starting, so it went into the shop. Turned out to be a poorly secured power line to the starter motor. The connection was bad enough corrosion was forming, making it worse. Fixed under warranty.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 8:07 am
Veteran

That snowflake symbol, along with the temperature of 31 shown, might be to warn you of icy road conditions. My car has the same symbol and comes on at 37 degrees.

Regarding the starting, is it slow to crank or does it crank rapidly but won't fire? I'd expect slow cranking at that temperature, along with the stock lousy BMW battery. Might be time for a Odyssey PC680MJ battery if it's "slow to crank." Cured mine.

Mack
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 9:01 am Thread Starter
Noob

starting problems

The temp is an indication that my garage is a little cold, in Sask. the winters are anywhere from zero to minus 45 or more so I've stored the bike in my heated garage. I've checked the wiring of the kick stand switch,seems okay, I bought the computer code reader and it comes up clear, the battery is new and fully charged, the only thing that I can think of is a broken wire some where? I may have to take it in but the only dealer is 200 miles away. Riding season is quickly approaching so I better get it done. Thank You for your replies there appreciated. Don J
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 9:27 am

Side stand switch maybe? There's a way to hot wire it and bypass that switch, if it starts then that's your culprit. Unfortunately I don't remember how. Someone on here does though.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 9:35 am
Strafist

OK, I've known two guys, one actually had his bike towed to the shop, who were pulling in the clutch during the diagnostic procedure.... and their bike wouldn't start. When you turn on the key DO NOT PULL IN THE CLUTCH till the CHECK stops.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:44 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
OK, I've known two guys, one actually had his bike towed to the shop, who were pulling in the clutch during the diagnostic procedure.... and their bike wouldn't start. When you turn on the key DO NOT PULL IN THE CLUTCH till the CHECK stops.
In all the years reading various threads on this site I've never heard of this one before. Thanks for the nickle knowledge Oh Great Grifster...

David
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 11:49 am
Addict

Just another opinion. If you have the orig battery-these-most CAN-Bus bikes are very sensitive to batteries that are a little weak-my Ducati 999 is also. Considering your outside temp-my first stop would be battery.

Marin Phil
2013 K13S-Anniv ED
'06 K12GT Blue of course!_Sold-too many problems
'05 Ducati 999-My Italian Mistress_sold and missed
2004 K12 GT-Orient Blue-the new me.-Sold
about 30 before that but too old to remember them all..
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 12:00 pm
Addict

I'm one of those guys, but didn't have the bike towed in. Manhattan BMW who does my service confirmed exactly what Greg is saying. Somehow pulling in the clutch during diagnostics prevents the bike from starting. It cranks but won't start. Once you power up the bike just wait until it runs all diagnostic before touching anything. None of this effected my RT, and I guess I was in the habit of pulling in the clutch right after turning on the ignition.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode