Pillion Backrest - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:21 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Pillion Backrest

My first post to the forum - be gentle! I have just started riding my new 2008 GT. Bought it new last fall when the rebate was good and the trade value of my HD Street Glide was still reasonably good. I had the dealer keep it in the crate until this spring and it was delivered to my door on March 6th! It hasn't been great riding weather here in Minneapolis this early, so I have only 42 miles on it so far. My wife is already after me to get some sort of back rest on the bike as she was used to the thing on the HD. I wouldn't mind getting a large top case for it, but the BMW web site doesn't seem to offer much in the way of top cases. What happened? I'd like just a back rest. Other than a whole new seat arrangement from Corbin or Sargent, what choices are out there? Please help! PS. she also misses her floorboards!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 7:24 pm
Noob

Void Warranty

I think its ok to install a backrest, but you install footboards on a BMW it voids your warranty.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:34 pm
Veteran

There are two BMW top cases that mount to the rack. The 49 liter is huge and has a built-in backrest. The 28 liter is smaller and doesn't come with a backrest, but you can buy one for it from BMW. Both are expensive. Both can be keyed to match your ignition key. They operate in a similar way to the GT side cases - with a handle for carrying and locking to the rack, and a flap for opening and locking shut.

You can buy non-BMW top cases from Givi, Coocase, and others, but they will require an adapter. You might also want to look at soft bags that mount to the rack.

I have the BMW 49 liter top case. It is a love/hate thing. I love the huge storage space it offers. It is the only case large enough to hold my backpack that I take to and from work.

I hate the gray look, the way it affects balance because it sits high and to the rear, and the way it catches side winds. I wouldn't give it up for anything though. For my daily commutes, I leave it attached and leave the side cases at home. I keep my helmet and jacket locked in it when I am at work, and my backpack in it when I am commuting. On the weekends I leave the top case at home.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2009, 3:52 am
Veteran

Bakup backrest is the way to go, but they are pricey, here is a link
http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16757
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2009, 3:11 pm
Addict

I bought a 49Ltr from Chicago BMW (fixed the key to work with ChiBMWs help) last year at this time. My wife and I were planning a 2 week ride and she definatley wanted a backrest.
As said its expensive (almost $1k now). It holds vast amounts...two helmets easy. Catches the wind but I did two weeks on it and never bothered me. Wife loved the back support.

As for floorboards....what she want to do dance? Just kidding. They are foot rests. No pressure other than mounting up. She will get use to them. Or find some floorboards that you can slap on and take off when you need warranty work,

Have fun.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:37 am Thread Starter
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
I bought a 49Ltr from Chicago BMW (fixed the key to work with ChiBMWs help) last year at this time. My wife and I were planning a 2 week ride and she definatley wanted a backrest.
As said its expensive (almost $1k now). It holds vast amounts...two helmets easy. Catches the wind but I did two weeks on it and never bothered me. Wife loved the back support.

As for floorboards....what she want to do dance? Just kidding. They are foot rests. No pressure other than mounting up. She will get use to them. Or find some floorboards that you can slap on and take off when you need warranty work,

Have fun.
I don't know what's going on, but I do not see any top cases on the BMW site that will fit the K1200GT, no 49L box for sure. I think the lead in photo is of the 49L top box, but it is not listed. Have they been discontinued?
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:43 am
Enthusiast

Top Case

The cases that fit the R1200RT fit the K1200GT (2006+) as well.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:44 am
Rookie

Pillion Backrest

Check out the Stealth Backrest at Pirates Liar.

'04 K12GT Grey-Green
Garmin 2820
Nolan N-103
S&W M&P 500

"Be the person your dog thinks you are"; unknown author
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 3:34 pm
Veteran

I tried checking out the Stealth backrest last year, I believe they stopped making it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 5:58 pm Thread Starter
Noob

The Pirate will not be making backrests for the next gen K1200GT, previous generation only.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode