My best mileage ever.....just one time. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 25th, 2009, 6:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

My best mileage ever.....just one time.

So I decided to try and obey Oregon's ridiculously slow speed limits as I'm heading south. At least to some extent. The weather was insane for some of it....snow, rain...and rain.....so that had something to do with it. Top to bottom averaged 51+ mpg. Never took it over say 72 mph average. Anyway I at least know it's possible to get over 50 mpg. Highly unlikely I'll do it on a regular basis though. My bike seems to like to get about 40 mpg for some reason!

The California sunshine is nice .....but the traffic.....my usual gripe about CA.....how do you guys deal with it all the time?

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 7:10 am
Rookie

Mileage

Robert, did you compute the mileage manually or did the bike computer readout give you the 50+ figure. I figure and log my milage manually every time I gas up, the bikes computer always has the average miles per gallon 2-3 miles higher then my figure. My average to date for the first year of ownership (5000 + miles) is a tad over 43 MPG which is still not bad. I only wish I could keep my sanity long enough to ride conservatively for a whole tank of gas! At any rate close to 50MPG is very good.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:31 am
Veteran

Like Ropal, I have been tracking mileage since I bought the K1200GT in June 2007. His numbers agree with mine - the OBC mileage is normally 2-3 mpg higher than actual. Actual mileage is computed by dividing odometer miles by gallons at the pump.

Here are tricks that I have learned to increase mileage:

1. Remove the side cases and any topcase that you may have. Leave the luggage behind.
2. Keep the windscreen on the lowest setting and tuck in tightly. Put your handlebars on the lowest setting, and keep your head down low, under the slipstream if you can. Wear gear that doesn't flap.
3. Use something other than California fuel formulations, the highest octane you can find.
4. Keep your speed down. This is just a guess, but I bet that the optimum speed is between 45 and 65 mph.
5. Keep your speed steady - wide open roads are best. Use the cruise control to maintain speed discipline. Stop and go riding will kill your mileage.
6. Keep your RPMs low, but don't lug the engine. Lugging will ruin your mileage, too.
7. Ride at higher altitudes. I don't know exactly why this helps, but it makes a big difference.
8. Ride in cool, but not cold weather.
9. Ride with the wind at your back.
10. Start at a high altitude with a very long descent. Downhill is a great mileage booster. (I am thinking about a route that starts high in the Rockies, and descends for 200 miles or so.)

Whaddya think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 10:52 am
Veteran

High Mileage Contest Proposal

Allow me to propose a highest mileage contest for OBC-equipped KGT motorcycles. Here are my suggested rules:

1. Reset your trip meter, your OBC mph, and your OBC mpg, all at the same time. You can do this at any point on your journey, even while riding.

2. Ride at least 150 miles (242 km) on the trip meter. The end point is your choice, but it must be at least 150 miles from the start point.

3. At the end point, write down the following and submit it to this thread:

* Model (K12 or K13) and year of your GT
* Date and general area of your ride
* Miles ridden (must be at least 150 miles) as registered on the trip meter.
* OBC mph (kph)
* OBC mpg (???)
* Any notes about your ride. What helped, what didn't, any stops, brand of fuel, etc.

Do we need separate categories for those who use US gallons vs. Imperial gallons vs. litres?
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 11:06 am
Veteran

I will kick it off with this entry:

2007 K1200GT
28 November 2008
Interstate 80 from Fernley, NV to Sacramento, CA over Donner Pass
167 miles ridden
OBC mph = 66.3
OBC mpg = 49.0
Notes: It was high altitude with a long decent, and fn cold. High mpg was not the goal.

I bet that any of you can do better than this!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 12:46 pm
IBR# 366

Robert, you and I really need to go for a ride one of these days. And the trick to CA traffic is to assume that you're invisible, and then to just cut up the middle and get through it.

I've also seen 50+ mpg when riding mellow, and as low as 25 mpg when not. My overall average is right at 40 mpg, and every gallon has been worth it. Just turned 80K miles yesterday, and I'll hit 81K before I make it home tonight. Had to stop in El Paso because my front tire just wasn't gonna get me across the next three states.

As for extended mileage contests, I usually only do that when I'm on reserve and there are no towns for the next 40-50 miles. BTDT, too many times.

How about a "furthest ridden on tank of gas" contest? My record is ~470 miles so far, but that was with an extra 5 gallon aux fuel cell.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 9:20 pm

Last fall when we had the spike in fuel prices there was a fuel shortage here in the southeast. I was headed from Greensboro, NC back to Knoxville (I-40 west all the way) and pulled off for gas when my low fuel came on getting into the mountains. No gas. Back on the highway and off again, no gas. Took over a half hour to find a station with fuel and then I was in line for 20 minutes. I shut off the motor and pushed the bike the rest of the way. BC said 10 miles remaining, put in 6 gallons. That's my personal record.

Now, in one sitting I did 210 miles between stops once. That was hard core (for me anyway). Stock seat sucks by the way, no $$ for a Russell Day Long
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 26th, 2009, 9:27 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Hey Meese, where the hell are you? I'm in Barstow tonight and headed down through 29 palms in the morning then over AZ way. We might pass each other!

As for the mileage thing, I recorded manually have used both the GPS and odometer, most of the time they jive with each other. Anyway:

07 GT
226.8 miles
4.4 gallons O'petrol

51.5 mpg !

However most of the time it's right around 40 mpg. Might even be lower tomorrow....

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2009, 1:56 am
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
Hey Meese, where the hell are you? I'm in Barstow tonight and headed down through 29 palms in the morning then over AZ way. We might pass each other!
We might just! I'm in Mesa, AZ waiting for a tire shop to open in the morning. Thought I had enough rear to get back home, but I was short by about ~500 miles. Can't see the cords yet, but it's definitely worn through to the casing. Got a new tire sitting in the garage at home, but it does me no good out here . . .

I knew I should've dropped in on Grif and taken his spare set while I was still in Tejas.
If I see a blue blur heading east, I'll wave.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Mar 27th, 2009 at 2:20 am.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Mar 27th, 2009, 10:17 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese

I knew I should've dropped in on Grif and taken his spare set while I was still in Texas.
Flat learning curve! I would have even put them on for you.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode