hose cnx at bottom of oil tank 07 gt - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 11:05 am Thread Starter
Rookie

Cool hose cnx at bottom of oil tank 07 gt

I did an oil change on my 07 k1200gt before winter and noticed some weeping and very slight seeping oil from plastic fitting at bottom of oil resevoir after riding (this year) Does anybody know if this fitting can be tightened? I was reluctant to get too aggressive before I can get to the dealer in order to avoid disaster. The fitting seems to have tabs and seemed to be capable of tightening.Has anyone faced the same problem? If it can be tightened one must proceed carefully since it is plastic. I probably loosened it by moving tube to drain oil.
If anyone has any idea some info would be appreciated. I did wring her out a little yesterday..It was sweet..
Thanks folks,
Vic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 11:15 am

I don't think there's any way that you can tighten it. The bottom fitting is essentially the same type as the top. You just squeeze the plastic ring that has the locking tabs on it and pull it off. Mine weeps a little bit as well. I doubt that you could find O rings to replace those on the fittings and likely would need a new line if yours leaks excessively. This oil line, with its attendant oil change procedure, is most unimpressive.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 12:43 pm
Addict

Vic. It's unlikely that the oil weep is coming from the connection between the plastic fitting and oil tank. Trying to do anything with the fitting will ultimately result in a replacement. It is more likely the the oil weep is between the hose and the fitting. The hose will take on a set with the fitting over time and disturbing this position may cause a very slight leak. I try to make sure that I reposition both the hose and the hose clamp in the exact position that they were in before I removed them to reduce the risk of leaks.

I'm thinking of installing a T fitting in the oil supply hose between the tank and the engine, then routing the new drain hose down under the bike with an oil drain fitting in the end. The hose can be tied off to the frame. I'll let you know if I give this a shot.

Last edited by John06KGT; Mar 30th, 2009 at 12:58 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 1:02 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by qkvic
Does anybody know if this fitting can be tightened?
If you mean the metal clip on the large black hose at the bottom of the oil tank, those are single-use clips that are tightened with a special reverse-pliers tool. They are not meant to be "tightened" once in place, but maybe you could pry the tabs a bit further apart to tighten it some. Or replace it with a small hose clamp, but be careful not to over-tighten that and cut through the hose.

If you mean the small clear plastic hose that runs up to the top of the tank, that can't be "tightened". But maybe you can replace the o-ring seal inside of the fitting. Or replace the whole hose at $50 from BMW.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 1:03 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by John06KGT
I'm thinking of installing a T fitting in the oil supply hose between the tank and the engine, then routing the new drain hose down under the bike with an oil drain fitting in the end.
I had that same thought, maybe using a valve instead of a T-fitting. You'd just want to make sure the new setup didn't leak at all.

But honestly, in all the times that I've changed my own oil (including in parking lots while on a long road trip), letting it drain through that small clear tube for an extra 10-20 minutes didn't really hurt anything.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 1:09 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese

But honestly, in all the times that I've changed my own oil (including in parking lots while on a long road trip), letting it drain through that small clear tube for an extra 10-20 minutes didn't really hurt anything.
Good point.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old Mar 30th, 2009, 7:47 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

Thumbs up hose cnx at bottom of oil resevoir

Hey guys,
Thanks for your help on this oil drain hose thing.
I feel very humble in telling you all this, but it turns out the oil on the fitting was from the oil spill on the top of the resevoir(last fall) that ran down the hose when I ran the bike. You were all correct, there is no adjustment and apparently this fitting snaps in to the tank.

For the info of someone out there who once said they removed the large rubber hose leading into the engine in order to drain the resevoir easier.
there is a BMW mechanic who did exactly that and blew up the engine. My mechanic source told me it had something to do with air in the engine. Apparently too much pressure at startup. That is a strange one, but these guys at my local dealership know what they are doing.Moral of the story (I think) is to know when to let these factory trained guys go where you think you shouldn't.

Did another 140kms today near beautful Oakville/Brampton Ont.

It felt sooo GOOOOOOOOD
Vic
2007 GT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode