Installing an EZPass toll transponder on my K1300GT - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 1:04 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Installing an EZPass toll transponder on my K1300GT

In the Northeast, we have EZPass transponders in vehicles, to collect road tolls. I was looking for a good spot to install one on the new K1300GT, where it would not be easily stolen. I think I found the perfect spot; under the battery cover, in front of the gas filler cap.

Here are some pictures of the installation.

First, I removed the two screws from the battery cover.

To pop the cover, I slid my hand under the front of the cover and used my fingers to push up on the center of the underside of the cover.

Here's a picture of the underside of the cover and the battery compartment (red lead on the left and black on the right). There's plenty of clearance to velcro a transponder to the bottom of the cover.

Here is a picture of the EZPass transponder. Not that big, and thankfully only about an inch thick.

On the bottom of the tranponder, I attached a pad of velcro (the soft side, not the hook side).

I then stuck a piece of heavy duty velcro (hook side) on the pad. This is the side that will be stuck to the underside of the cover.

Now comes the tricky part. There is a ridge of black plastic (which you can see in the picture below) that the transponder must be behind. So, I used a shim (in this case a stud finder) on top of the battery, to elevate the transponder high enough that the exposed sticky side of the velcro will stick to the cover when I "install" it. I also used a shim (this was an extra piece of velcro) to position the transponder horizontally in right position.

I carefully reinserted the cover and pressed down on it to have the transponder stick to it in the proper location. I then removed the cover with the transponder stuck to it and pressed down on the transponder hard to seat it. The next two pictures show the measurements that resulted for proper transponder placement.

I then reinstalled the battery cover with the transponder nicely hidden underneath. Worst case scenario, if the transponder comes loose, it's a self contained plastic box, so it will have no ill-effects sitting on top of the battery.

Word of caution, if you drop anything during this process, it will disappear under the battery and into the bike internals. So be careful. Below is a picture of the battery tray with the battery removed. When I was removing the "shims" the piece of velcro slipped and disappeared, never to be seen again. It's plastic, so worst case it will melt somewhere, but I'll smell it long before it becomes a problem (hopefully).

Last edited by SFoster; Mar 29th, 2009 at 4:41 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 2:18 pm
Addict

In the glovebox?

Out here we have toll bridges. I put mine in the glove box. Hlaf the time it works the other it does not. Out here if it does not work they enter the license number from a picture, works for me.

2008 R 1200 GS ADV
2007 K 1200 GT Graphite
98 HD Sportster 1200C [Sold] (Mistake)
Various dirt bikes in my youth.
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 3:01 pm
Addict

Only one of your pictures loaded, personally I put it in the tank bag, sometimes its works sometimes not.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 3:36 pm
IBR# 366

Great first post, Scott. Very detailed and informative.

I edited it to fix your image links.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 4:01 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

The images loaded just fine the first time, but then I too had a problem. So, I put the images on Flikr and referenced them. They should load fine now.

Personally, I hate taking up space in the glove box, and I also find it works on 50% of the time. This should work all the time but we'll see.

I must say that I'm happy to be back with BMW motorcycles. Working on the Goldwing was a pain in the @$$. There were a lot of clips (that were dying to be broken) instead of exposed screws.

Last edited by SFoster; Mar 29th, 2009 at 4:44 pm.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 5:44 pm
Veteran

Yer losin' me on why you need the velcro. Can't you just use the Dual Lok stuff like a car windshield? In IL, they will give you all the Dual Lok you ask for, within reason I'm sure, certainly a couple strips for one vehicle. My experience is you only have one transponder, you change it from vehicle to vehicle, would seem like a lot of work to attach/detach/reattach, etc to do this. I'd use the storage bin, tank bag, saddle bag, coat pocket, most anything than this.
I don't know if you've ever had one shipped to you, but they wrap it twice in foil when they mail one to you, so you don't end up wondering just when it was that you went through the whole tollway system from the South Suburbs to the South Beloit toll booth in a double-bottom UPS truck........in other words, the transponder usually works quite well, even when riding in a semi in a cardboard box surrounded by other transponders, navel oranges, BMW magazines and some ladies latest delivery from "The Panty of The Month Club". The transponder should work fine inside the side case of a bike. You could also put it somewhere on the back side of your windshield, down low out of the way.
I have heard stories about "unprotected transponder shipment" (one guy sending his brother his transponder to use, for example, where he didn't wrap the transponder in foil), and yeah it happened just like I said, ended up in a mail truck and registered every time he went through an EZPass, and NO they wouldn't refund it, at least not without a lot of hassle. Not sure if they tried charging him multi-axle or just 2, those trucks pay through the nose at those toll boooths!

OH! And don't worry about dropping stuff into the bowels of the beast, the first time you set it on it's side I'm sure whatever it was will fall out........

Gilly

Last edited by GillyWI; Mar 29th, 2009 at 6:08 pm.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 6:44 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Yer losin' me on why you need the velcro.
If I knew exactly where to place the dual lok, that is what I would have used. However, I was looking for something that would cover the whole back side of the transponder. You will observe that I did use dual lok for attaching to the underside of the cover. In Delaware, they will not give you all the dual lok for which you ask.

Quote:
My experience is you only have one transponder, you change it from vehicle to vehicle, would seem like a lot of work to attach/detach/reattach, etc to do this. I'd use the storage bin, tank bag, saddle bag, coat pocket, most anything than this.
In Delaware you can have as many transponders as you want. Go figure. No extra dual lok but as many transponders as you want. So, once this baby is installed, it will stay there until I get another bike.

Quote:
The transponder should work fine inside the side case of a bike.
Actually this is not the case. I've personally observed a 50% recognition rate, using the glove box. Others have indicated issues with transponder placement. I spoke with a buddy of mine who knows how these things work. He said the goal is to have the unit in a horizontal position, maximizing the surface area facing the pickup antenna.

Quote:
OH! And don't worry about dropping stuff into the bowels of the beast, the first time you set it on it's side I'm sure whatever it was will fall out........
I'm going to try and do my best not to do that. Last time I dropped a bike was in Trenton, NJ in '97. I was driving the live TV bike for a bicycle race and the new idiot cameraman stood up in the middle of an S curve. Luckily I didn't drop it right there. I didn't want to get run over by the 100 or so bicycles right behind me. Instead, I made it to the curb and dropped it there. The cameraman broke a kneecap (served him right!). Other than that, the fork was slightly bent, but not enough to prevent finishing race coverage.... with a new cameraman.

Compared to the goldwing I sold, this bike is practically weightless.
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 6:52 pm
Addict-oholic

In order to increase the reading rate of my e-z-pass, I mounted it in a little caddy with a suction cup and mount it to the lower left side of the windscreen when needed. I now get a 100% read rate. On my next bike ( the 1300GT, I expect to mount it just under the lep of the top shelf in the air passage above the instruments.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 7:23 pm
Veteran

It seems that dual Lock is a bit different than Velcro, that seems to hold it OK? The Velcro is hook and loop. Dual Lock, both sides of it are the same. http://www.andybaird.com/travels/gertie/superlock.htm
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 7:29 pm
DrD

tankbag

I stick it in the front of the tankbag, vertical which is almost how it is on the windshield of many cars. I've done this on a couple of bikes and it works fine. I would put it in the glove box, but I already have that full with garage door opener and other things.

Besides, on top of the battery is my extra fuse block. The farkles which use that are next on my list.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode