Top case for commuting - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 6:49 pm Thread Starter

Top case for commuting

The BMW cases are great for touring, but a bit overkill for carrying just a briefcase to work everyday. For me, side cases add width that makes it tricky to maneuver around certain obstacles to my sidewalk parking place. To my eye, the bike looks weirdly imbalanced with just the 49L top case attached. The 28L top case is better suited for holding a helmet than a briefcase.

For a briefcase-friendly commuter case, you can mount a hard-shell attaché case to the bike. I wanted extra room for a rain suit or other gear, so I opted for a “Heavy Duty Tool Case” from Cases by Source (http://www.casesbysource.com/product...ts-tuc-11402-p , see Pic 1). This 25L case is sturdy, sleek, and can be locked by either a combination or a key. It ended up leaking rain around the trim, but that was fixed with a thin bead of silicone.

I made a rigid platform for the case by sandwiching 0.5” foam insulation between epoxy and fiberglass cloth (Pic 2). The four solid epoxy cutouts are for the mounting hardware. I painted the platform black and glued it to the bottom of the case. Mounting hardware is hammered and sawn from aluminum stock (Pic 3). Small bolts pass through the case bottom and platform to secure the mounting hardware to the bottom of the case. Eighth-inch Al plates distribute the load within the case (Pic 4). There are no modifications to the bike.

The mounting works similar to stock top cases: You lay the case on the luggage rack pushing forward to engage the front clamps (background in Pic 3). The rear clamps are bolted to an aluminum plate that floats on large horizontal bolts (foreground in Pic 3). To engage these clamps to the luggage rack, you reach under the case and slide the plate back. You then tighten two nuts on the large bolts to lock the case on the bike. To remove the case, you reverse the process.

Pic 5 and Pic 6 show the completed product. Pic 7 shows it accommodating a well-stuffed briefcase. I keep a wrench Velcroed in the case so that it is always available for attaching and removing the case. It takes about a minute to tighten/loosen the nuts to remove/attach the case. Not as convenient as stock top cases, but I only occasionally need to take the commuter case off –mostly just to swap in the 49L top case for touring or grocery shopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Case1Start.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	10065   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case2Platform.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	10066   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case3Latches.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	10067   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case4Interior.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	111.3 KB
ID:	10068   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case5Finished.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	169.6 KB
ID:	10069  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Case6Finished.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	10070   Click image for larger version

Name:	Case7Use.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	104.5 KB
ID:	10071  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 7:27 pm
Veteran

How much in groceries will the 49l hold? Nice looking mod on the top case, interesting that the side bags need to come off to be able to park, that must be some valuable real estate around there. I can see that in a James Bond movie; gets off bike, opens top case, nice shiny guns all surrounded by foam, pulls out pistol, screws on silencer.......
Gilly
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 7:33 pm
IBR# 366

Nice job with the alternate case. That's also the first GT I've seen with Hippo Hands, then again, I imagine they help quite a bit out where you are.

A lot of the Long Distance riders swear by Pelican cases. They come in dozens of sizes and are guaranteed waterproof and crush proof.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Nice job with the alternate case. That's also the first GT I've seen with Hippo Hands, then again, I imagine they help quite a bit out where you are.

A lot of the Long Distance riders swear by Pelican cases. They come in dozens of sizes and are guaranteed waterproof and crush proof.
I looked at Pelican. I'm sure they're great cases, but I just didn't care much for their looks.

As for the Hippohands, der grippentoster ist gut; der grippentoster mit das hippohanden, dass ist wundervoll! Like holding your hands in an oven.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode