Cardo Scala Q 2 - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old Mar 29th, 2009, 10:54 pm Thread Starter

Cardo Scala Q 2

Has anyone used any of the bike to bike bluetooth communicarors?? Like the Crdo Scala Q 2 or the Chatterbox ..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 5:42 pm

BlueAnt

I've had good luck with this. It works with passenger or with ONE other rider. I don't think you can have more than one other person to communicate with, but it's a nice unit. It also will connect to your Bluetooth enabled cell phone. It's weird to be riding along and someone is talking to you. The person on the other end of the line says it's pretty clear, as it eliminates road noise. Good luck.
http://www.myblueant.com/interphone-...helmet-kit.htm
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 7:34 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaufu
Has anyone used any of the bike to bike bluetooth communicarors?? Like the Crdo Scala Q 2 or the Chatterbox ..
One advantage of the Q2 is it has FM radio already in it, so nothing extra to get some sort of tunes workin'.
Gilly
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 7:40 pm
Enthusiast

Blueant

I've got the Blueant. Support sucks though, I just went ahead and replaced the defective unit rather than dealing with stubborn technical support. They always know more than you (as if). I've had no problems with the later units although the boom will take some damage over time and you need to insure it's tucked away nicely. It works well with the passenger but I've had times where it just decided to "disconnect" and I had to re-pair the set (which is a different issue).

I've got the Blueant working with my Navigator III and my cell phone (via Navigator). Voice over 50 MPH gets sketchy but you can hear well up to 70 MPH but make sure the speaker is near your ear (placement of the unit is everything) and the windscreen is up. This solution is the best for me (without the hassle of wires) but is a compromise (like everything). Battery life is great.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 9:40 pm

I've had the blue ant too, and had nothing but trouble out of it. Constantly dropping synch and poor battery life. Finally ditched it and had dealer put in an Autocom.
Mack
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:56 pm
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by syaufu
I had the Q2 and loved it. It worked flawlessly for the entire riding season. When I was on the phone with people over 80mph, they didnt even know it. Talking between people (or rider) is good. I recommend wearing earplugs to eliminate wind noise. I am partially deaf in my right ear and I could hear at most average city speeds. The FM radio option is perfect for solo operation so you dont have to wear earphones. Not to mention, its easy to connect to a fm modulator for your Zune or other MP3 player.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 11:56 am

I also have the Blueant Interphone system for my phone, gps, and rider/pass communication. The only problem I have had is I don't think its loud enough, I can hardly hear the person when I am riding. Any of you guys who have this system have any suggestions???? I have the tall windscreen and get some wind noise but nothing crazy. There is no way I could carry on a conversation at 70mph.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:16 am
Enthusiast

The Chatterbox XBi is waterproof, easy to install, and loud enough even with custom earplugs. The price is reasonable and battery life seems to be in the 4-6 hours range. I like the unit more than the Nolan Bluetooth (probably because it lets me wear my Arai and still have Bluetooth capability), Just my opinion.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 10:01 pm
Rookie

Q

I have the Q2 for the phone. I've had the other person I've been talking to think I was lying after telling them I was on my bike. The FM is kind of weak but works, I get a beeping with the bike running. MP3 plugs in to the back of unit and is wired, kind of blows the Bluetooth thing, I wanted to get away from the wires. The unit will link to your GPS. I haven't used any others, so have nothing to compare to. I like it so far.

Mick
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 9:18 am

Thumbs up Scala Rider Q2

Riding with the wife (2 bikes; me on the GT, her on the Ducati) we have used the Scala Q2 since spring of last year (or thereabouts).

I have custom Westone earplugs (not the music kind, just the plugs), as does the wife. Wearing the plugs with the Q2 is no problem. The communication is clear and works amazingly well - as long as I can see her in my rear view mirror. We definitely like the full duplex and VOX activation... Volume is definitely fine, unless it's a very windy day, then it would be nice to get it a little louder.

When on my own, I sometimes listen to the radio (FM, no stereo) and pair it with my phone. This works very well too - again unless the winds are strong... Putting up my windshield all the way does help some in windy conditions. I have been 'picking up' the phone while riding, and like a previous poster, had a hard time convincing the other party that I was actually riding the bike while talking to them.

Setting the speakers and mike up in the helmets (I have a Shoei X11, the wife has a Shoei RF-1000) was very easy and straightforward. It takes a little fine tuning to get the speakers just right (if it sounds weak, try to move the speakers around in the helmet - if they are not aligned well with the ears, the volume 'suffers'), but it's an easy installation. Do read the book and follow the instructions exaclty as written to do the pairing; that way it will work the first time (don't ask...)

All in all, the wife and I are very happy with the Q2. I was wearing mine in summer downpours and had no problems with the unit. While the range may not be quite as good as FRS or CB, the (actually working) VOX, full duplex, and lack of antennae more than make up for that, in our opinion.

-----
His: 2012 K1600GT
Hers: 2008 Buell Blast (for sale) & 2009 Ducati Monster 696

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode