Preferrences for brake pads? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:34 am Thread Starter
Addict

Preferrences for brake pads?

While doing the rear gear oil change I checked the rear brakes. Yep worn down pretty good.

So is there a limited selection of pads out there for a '06GT?
Anyone have a preferrence?
Online purchase?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 1:22 pm
IBR# 366

You can get EBC brake pads for the new GT. The rear pads are FA438HH, the front left pads are FA335HH, and the front right pads are FA441HH. The bad news is that while these pads do have the provision to fit a new sensor wire, EBC doesn't make replacement wires (even though they do list part numbers for the wires). I went all the way up to the EBC factory in the UK to get that answer. I ended up reusing a sensor wire from an old worn pair of factory brake pads.

The good news is that you can get all three sets of pads for about the cost of one set of factory pads (about $40 each set). But you'll have to reuse your old wire, or jumper out the sensor wire so that you don't get the constant brake pad warning light on the dash.

Note that the only difference between the FA441HH front right pads and the FA335HH front left pads is that the FA441HH pads have a cutout to fit the sensor wire. So if you don't care about the brake pad warning light, those two part numbers are interchangeable.

Do a Google search for the specific FA part numbers and you'll get lots of hits. I ordered from PowerSport Superstore when they had a sale last December. Two full sets of pads ran me $159.95 delivered, which is six sets of pads for the cost of one set of the BMW pads. The caveat is that they mis-packed one pair of pads, and it took 6 weeks to sort that out (holiday delays and all). Still, the pads work great and I couldn't beat the price.

Note: I just checked PowerSport Superstore and it looks like the pads are on sale again for under $30 each set. I don't think you can beat that price anywhere else.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 2:00 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
You can get EBC brake pads for the new GT. The rear pads are FA438HH, the front left pads are FA335HH, and the front right pads are FA441HH. The bad news is that while these pads do have the provision to fit a new sensor wire, EBC doesn't make replacement wires (even though they do list part numbers for the wires). I went all the way up to the EBC factory in the UK to get that answer. I ended up reusing a sensor wire from an old worn pair of factory brake pads. ...
Ken,
What is special or challenging about the wires? Can you make your own out of a copper wire strand, or perhaps a insulated (coated) wire-wrap wire, or maybe a thicker plastic insulated copper wire, if that's what is needed? Is the problem matching the resistance of the original so that Canbus doesn't whine?

I assume that the copper and insulation are so soft compared with the disc and pad material, that no harm would result. What am I missing?
-XMR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 3:32 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Yes I agree...looking at those 'sensors' , why not just splice in a new (appropriate gauge) wire around the holder?
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 8:03 am
Enthusiast

Even more basic question from me: Why not simply buy new sensor wires from BMW or are they not offered separately?

Thanks Ken,

David
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 5th, 2009, 4:50 pm
fas

Talking a few bucks for OE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbmwrs
While doing the rear gear oil change I checked the rear brakes. Yep worn down pretty good.

So is there a limited selection of pads out there for a '06GT?
Anyone have a preferrence?
Online purchase?
If you run fast, get the OE pad. Friction stability is the crucial issue for me, not saving a couple bucks. Does EBC meet OE requirements while providing wear indicators?

Rob Nelson
http://www.linkedin.com/in/robnelson44140
www.e-bikefun.com
2007 Super Duke 990
Orange Juice
2006 BMW K1200GT (now lives in Wisconsin)
Grey Goose
2002 K1200LTC (now lives in Georgia)
Toscana Temptress
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:06 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
Even more basic question from me: Why not simply buy new sensor wires from BMW or are they not offered separately?
Nope not offered separately, nor is there even a separate part # for the wear sensor only.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:10 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider
What is special or challenging about the wires?
The "wear through" indicator is just a stiff (single strand) wire coated with a clear insulator, so nothing special there. What makes it unique is the special BMW-only connector at the upper end and the formed plastic holder at the brake disk end.

As the pads wear, the lower plastic holder rubs on the brake disk and wears, then eventually the wire wears through and the circuit is opened. It's not a resistance thing, it's just an open or closed circuit.

I got lucky in that I had one set of pads that was changed before the wire wore through so I just reused the wire, and I had another set that I was able to pull the wires down a little and re-solder them to complete the circuit.

But I still need to get my warning indicator light reset by the dealer.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 12:18 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by fas
If you run fast, get the OE pad. Friction stability is the crucial issue for me, not saving a couple bucks. Does EBC meet OE requirements while providing wear indicators?
Agreed. Saving a few $$ means nothing if the parts don't work. Especially brakes and tires.

I went with the EBC HH pads like we did for the LT's. These are a sintered copper alloy and offer great brake feel and excellent stopping power. I've run them pretty hard without any problems.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 5:46 pm Thread Starter
Addict

I bought a full set from PowerSports for $88 delivered.

As for the sensor wire....still the question:

Why can't one splice in new wire??? Using the same holder and not touching the BMW connector.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode