Originally Posted by JT_BMW
If the weather clears up like it is suppose to, I have a test ride on a K1300GT tomorrow. I rode the R1200RT last weekend. The RT felt nimble, and was very flickable in the 35-60mph range, top end seemed to roll off quickly though above 75mph. It was a very comfortable ride though. I'm coming off an older ZX11 setup for touring and am looking for a more touring oriented bike. I'm torn between the classic Boxer and a K bike. Will the power of the K1300 lure me over. It will be interesting to compare the handling, it is hard to tell how close they are from reviews. I wounder how noticeable the extra 60lbs is on the K bike.
I've owned an R12RT and currently own the K12GT.
Here is my quick comparison:
1. Better weather wind protection on the RT.
2. Better slow speed parking lot handling on the RT....but how much time do we really spend hanging out in the parking lot?
3. Better range on the RT....but 240 miles per tank on the GT during a tour is plenty for me.
4. Better in very technical tight switch backs on the RT.
5. High speed stability goes to the GT.
6. Sweepers and anything but the tightest of roads for handling goes to the GT.
7. Posture---for me, goes to the GT. I am very comfortable on this bike.
8. Wind resistance...both bikes are good, the GT is better. It took the 45-50 gusts on the way to Big Bend last week without a problem.
9. Power, high speed passing goes to the GT.
10. Clearance in turns goes to the GT. I have pushed this bike pretty hard and have not touched a peg feeler yet.
11. Maintenance is about the same RT GT.
I loved my R12RT. It is one of the best bikes in the business for what it does. For me the KGT is everything I liked about my RRT in a slimmer much more athletic package.
Have fun......purchase the one the grabs you and ignore us.