Taking a K1300GT out tomorrow - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Taking a K1300GT out tomorrow

If the weather clears up like it is suppose to, I have a test ride on a K1300GT tomorrow. I rode the R1200RT last weekend. The RT felt nimble, and was very flickable in the 35-60mph range, top end seemed to roll off quickly though above 75mph. It was a very comfortable ride though. I'm coming off an older ZX11 setup for touring and am looking for a more touring oriented bike. I'm torn between the classic Boxer and a K bike. Will the power of the K1300 lure me over. It will be interesting to compare the handling, it is hard to tell how close they are from reviews. I wounder how noticeable the extra 60lbs is on the K bike.

JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 8:44 pm
Veteran

You'll have fun at Sierra BMW in Sparks, NV. Good folks. I buy a lot of crap..er... I meant farkles and clothes from them. They (Suzette?) seem to be the "with-it" dealer on BMW clothes and get a lot of pre-sale clothing from BMW to show off and comment on. Tell her, "The guy who told her how to afix the Santiago jacket collar strap says 'Hi.'"

Just for fun, ask them which bike is cheaper to fix should it fall over? Never had to fix my old R1100RTL 'cause it never fell over in 100,000 miles. The GT is a whole nother $10K matter. Might want to ask your insurance a question or two as well before the final decision. You can blast off on I-80 and try and see how much trouble the truck slipstream causes you since they seem to speed around there as if it's some sort of trucker's Autobaun.

Personally, I think the RT offers better protection from wind buffeting and noise than the GT. Don't know if the 1300 is any different than the 1200 in that regard.

Mack
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:05 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT_BMW
Will the power of the K1300 lure me over.
Yes. Definitely.

Quote:
I wonder how noticeable the extra 60lbs is on the K bike.
Once you get moving and the power band kicks in, not at all.

Think of it like trading in your ZX-11 for a ZX-14 that's already set up for touring from the factory.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Apr 3rd, 2009 at 11:23 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 3rd, 2009, 11:17 pm
Rookie

Tomorrow I am going to trade in my sexy, sleek and very nimble R1100RT for a GT. I really love my RT, it handles great, but the 150 horses is pulling me that way. Plus the extra weight and a little longer, I'm hoping for a nicer ride down the highway. Good luck and have fun

Mick
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 7:30 am
Noob

The GT is an absolute joy to ride, having ridden RT's before I can tell you the amount of power and protection on the GT is perfect for a sportier rider. You can always add whatever you want to the bike to make it more sport or more tourer.

'08 K1200GT Dark Graphite
'03 CBR 954RR
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 8:01 am
Enthusiast

KGT vs RRT

Quote:
If the weather clears up like it is suppose to, I have a test ride on a K1300GT tomorrow. I rode the R1200RT last weekend. The RT felt nimble, and was very flickable in the 35-60mph range, top end seemed to roll off quickly though above 75mph. It was a very comfortable ride though. I'm coming off an older ZX11 setup for touring and am looking for a more touring oriented bike. I'm torn between the classic Boxer and a K bike. Will the power of the K1300 lure me over. It will be interesting to compare the handling, it is hard to tell how close they are from reviews. I wounder how noticeable the extra 60lbs is on the K bike.

JT
I've owned an R12RT and currently own the K12GT.

Here is my quick comparison:

1. Better weather wind protection on the RT.
2. Better slow speed parking lot handling on the RT....but how much time do we really spend hanging out in the parking lot?
3. Better range on the RT....but 240 miles per tank on the GT during a tour is plenty for me.
4. Better in very technical tight switch backs on the RT.
5. High speed stability goes to the GT.
6. Sweepers and anything but the tightest of roads for handling goes to the GT.
7. Posture---for me, goes to the GT. I am very comfortable on this bike.
8. Wind resistance...both bikes are good, the GT is better. It took the 45-50 gusts on the way to Big Bend last week without a problem.
9. Power, high speed passing goes to the GT.
10. Clearance in turns goes to the GT. I have pushed this bike pretty hard and have not touched a peg feeler yet.
11. Maintenance is about the same RT GT.

I loved my R12RT. It is one of the best bikes in the business for what it does. For me the KGT is everything I liked about my RRT in a slimmer much more athletic package.

Have fun......purchase the one the grabs you and ignore us.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 8:10 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
They (Suzette?) seem to be the "with-it" dealer on BMW clothes and get a lot of pre-sale clothing from BMW to show off and comment on. Tell her, "The guy who told her how to affix the Santiago jacket collar strap says 'Hi.'"
I too, love Sierra BMW for those very same reasons Mack. And it's Suzanne Oster. Told her if I buy any more BMW gear I'm just going to start direct depositing my paychecks with Sierra!

Good luck on your test ride. I see a K1300GT in your future...

David
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 9:38 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpancerz
I too, love Sierra BMW for those very same reasons Mack. And it's Suzanne Oster. Told her if I buy any more BMW gear I'm just going to start direct depositing my paychecks with Sierra!
I don't know why I cannot remember her name (hence, the question marks). That name stuff really is getting annoying in (ahem!) older age. At work, we sit around and say "The name of the actor who was on ...???" or "Remember the name of the guy who worked here 5-10 years ago..???" Suzanne Oster always corrects me on that Suzette thing - and I cannot remember it still....

Then there is this BMW parts/sales girl who I cannot remember what her name is even though I've dealt with her numerous times in person or on the phone. The guy behind her is Ozzie (Since his name is on the building, it seems I can remember that!).

She's often got the parts on the counter before I can even say, "I need an oil filter for my 1996 K1200GT," along with the crush washer.

Sucks getting old.....

Mack
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:43 am
Addict

Cutest parts department I've ever seen

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 4th, 2009, 10:52 am
Noob

I live in Chico near Ozzie's BMW and do all my business with this small family run dealership.

Her name is Lilly.

Mark in Chico
07 KGT Graphite

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode