I ran the battery down... - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:33 pm Thread Starter

I ran the battery down...

I parked in Del Mar and walked around a lot and had a nice lunch. Problem was, I put on the emergency flashers, and since I didn't hear any clicking (as the old K1100LT did), I "assumed" the ignition cut off the flashers. Wrong. I was gone about 2 1/2 hours and came back and discovered my error. Pearl tried to start, but could not. I called AAA as I have the motorcycle option on my coverage. They could tow me but could not jump start the animal. They suggested towing to a Pep Boy or Auto Zone, called them up and even though they were open, they would not jump start a bike or work on it. All (almost) motorcycle shops are closed on Monday, so I was out of luck.

It was a rather busy street, but I got to a parking lot with enough room and bump started it very easily. We all used to do that with lighter, simpiler bikes, but I wasn't sure I could do it with the GT. Really simple: put it in 2nd gear, run along side, jump on the seat and pop the clutch. Starts right up.

Does anyone know why they wont jump start a motorcycle? Is there something I'm missing, or could I do it from a car or other bike if I had cables? I've seen these "cigarette lighter to cigarette lighter" cables that should work, if they can handle the current. How do I solve this problem if I'm struck stupid again? Any thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:50 pm
IBR# 366

Why were you using the emergency flashers, or was that a mistake?

Motorcycles have smaller starting/charging systems than cars (and thus smaller wires), so you could easily overpower it by jumping from a car battery (especially if the car's engine is running, adding its alternator power to the mix). Most places don't want to take that risk, so they just refuse to do it.

Some places offer "motorcycle" jumper cables which aren't as heavy gauge so they pack easier. They should be OK for a quick jump start, but I wouldn't use them if the bike is cranking over for a long time and not starting.

I have jumped bikes from cars before, even a GT, but the trick is to leave the car off and let it sit with the jumper cables attached for a few minutes (which helps charge up the bike's battery a little). Start the bike, then pull the jumper cables off and let the bike's alternator take over. Then go for a nice, long ride to charge things up.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 4:57 pm Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Why were you using the emergency flashers, or was that a mistake?
nope, I was backing up to park on a busy street and wanted to use the flashers. It was a mistake to leave them on.

Thanks for the advice, I might carry some small cables. However, unless you're going uphill, it's really easy to bump start.

Last edited by Meese; Apr 6th, 2009 at 6:46 pm. Reason: fixed quote tag
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 6th, 2009, 6:04 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLuz
....unless you're going uphill, it's really easy to bump start.
Unless it's so dead the fuel pump won't run when you turn the key to on.

New cars are prone to that little problem: no battery = no fuel pumpy. (damhik!...and off onto the flat-bed hauler it goes.).

Mack
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:18 am Thread Starter

urban meth or what?

hey, while we are on the subject, I've been told that when you drain the battery (mine is more than 2 years old) you will soon need a new battery. Has anyone confirmed this as fact or is it just my paranoia.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 11:32 am
OVD

Battery on my old Suzuki GS500 would die at least once a week. I always jump started it from my car easily. Just make sure the car is not running when jumping. Suzuki dealer told me that and said it safe as long the car is not running.

2009 K1300S
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 2:37 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVD
Battery on my old Suzuki GS500 would die at least once a week. I always jump started it from my car easily. Just make sure the car is not running when jumping. Suzuki dealer told me that and said it safe as long the car is not running.
Is it fair to compare the Suzuki GS500 with the GT?

The GT has sensitive electronics (e.g. Canbus) that the Suzuki may not have. I suspect the GT is more susceptible to failures due to voltage surges, brownouts, and overloads than the Suzuki.
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 3:13 pm Thread Starter

me too

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider

The GT has sensitive electronics (e.g. Canbus) that the Suzuki may not have. I suspect the GT is more susceptible to failures due to voltage surges, brownouts, and overloads than the Suzuki.
I was wondering the exact same thing. I think I'll ask my BMW service guy to see if I can get a good answer. Good Point.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 7th, 2009, 3:27 pm
OVD

Quote:
Originally Posted by XMagnaRider

Good point, pro-ly not. You know, I'll also call my dealer and ask him. What if I forget to turn off the bike's lights? I do want to know what to do in advance

2009 K1300S
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 12:55 pm
Rookie

12volts is 12 volts. As long as 2 batteries the same voltage are connected parallel, there's nothing to go wrong. The starter should only use as many amps as it needs to turn, so that shouldn't be a problem either especially since typically, car batteries have much more available cranking amps. Now I understand not having the car running as the alternator output on the car can be higher than 15 volts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode