Types of clutch noise - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 4:47 am Thread Starter
Noob

Types of clutch noise

After a long period of decision, now I've got a '07 GT by trading in my '06 RT. By the way I want to share my first impressions. Yes it seems "far better bike" than RT as everyone says. It has more stable and better handling, more responsive riding dynamics and of course the silky 4 cyl. engine. Everything seems good except this damn turbulence and the irritating clutch noise.

I found that the people having problem with the clutch is suffering from a squealing noise. I didn't have a chance to hear that noise but I think mine is different. It is like a pair of rusty metals rubbing each other (something like harrrrtttt). I asked to service guy for several times. Everytime he said this sound is harmless and normal, there's nothing to change or fixed.

It becomes frustrating in the stop and go traffic. I think I will not get used to live with it. I may even pay myself if it is not under the warranty coverage. Anyone knows the source of this sound?

'07 K1200GT (new toy)
'06 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
'06 F 650 GS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 8:29 am
Noob

nothing normal about this, they changed mine a few months ago, and the sound is gone. a clutch does not make this kind of noise. insist and they will change. the machine is to expensive to have this kind of low quality issues. new clutch basket and sprocket and gone it will be.

K1200GT Aventurinsilver 5.4 average. Long live the german Autobahn
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:51 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by merCan
....Everything seems good except this damn turbulence and the irritating clutch noise.
No clutch noise here...yet...but the turbulence between the RT and GT is something that I thought aftermarket screens would address. However, I've yet to find one that does - even the Aeroflow. Seems more of a fairing issue from the lowers.

The RT seemed much more quiet at high speed than the GT, imho. Maybe the RT has a wider fairing? I know the pillion commented that she gets far more buffeting on the back of the GT over the RT no matter what sort of shield I try. After a tank-to-tank ride, her neck is sore and cramped badly in the shoulders. I can go about 5-6 hours before the buffeting cramps set in.

I might wait until the second gen of the 1300/1350 comes out with some sort of fairing modification before upgrading - and much cleaner looking switchgear with no [email protected] pots on top either! Screw-on caps suck, especially when they are loose from some itchy fingers and they dribble brake fluid onto the paint - or itchy just decides to take the entire cap. Sorry, but it's not acceptable on this sort of bike at all.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:39 am Thread Starter
Noob

Steffie, what kind of noise was yours? Was it a squealing or something like I described above?

One more thing, Is it possible that the noise may be coming from somewhere other than the clutch system? Because sometimes it is still making noise for a very short time even I fully release the clutch lever. Can camshaft make this kind of noise?

I need your opinions because there are very few GT owners in Istanbul to refer.

'07 K1200GT (new toy)
'06 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
'06 F 650 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode