Tire safety question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 8th, 2009, 11:46 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Unhappy Tire safety question

Yesterday I left the dealership with two new tires mounted. This morning my rear tire pressure was low and I discovered a screw had punctured it.

Question: Should I immediately replace my one-day-old tire, or dare I plug the hole and drive around town on the present tire to at least get a few miles out of it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:51 am
IBR# 366

That boils down to a choice between your sense of safety and your wallet. Some guys won't want to risk it to save a few bucks, and some won't want to throw away a nearly-new tire. So only you can make that choice for your bike.

If I was stuck on the road, I'd use the sticky string repair to get me home. Then assuming the hole is neat and in the center of the tread, I'd take the tire to a competent tire repair shop and have an inside patch put on properly (which I have had done). Then ride the tire out, but I'd always be just a little worried about it.

But again, your bike means your choice.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:09 am
Enthusiast

I don't know if I'd like to have a plug other than for an emergency. As you're wicking it up past a hundred you'll always be wondering if it's going to let go. Then there is the sleep factor. I'd sleep better knowing my tires were up to the task. Just my opinion and I could be wrong.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:54 am
Veteran

I'm with Ken on this one. I've had fairly new tires successfully plugged/patched with excellent results and no concern for safety.

Since I've started using Avon Storms, that have a road hazard warranty, which in your case would have provided a free replacement, I haven't had any screws or nails come my way.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:55 am
Enthusiast

It's your call, but considering the speeds this bike is capable of, you might ask yourself if your life is worth $300.?

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:18 am
Veteran

I'd worry if it were a steel belt tire. Those plugs can get chewed up by the metal and sooner or later, may end up with another leak. I believe Stop-n-Go mentions this in their instructions.

With an internal plug, it might last for the remainder of the tire. If it does come loose, you might end up with another leak. I doubt if it will blow out, probably just a slow leak somewhere down the line.

Moto tires do a lot of squirming and heat. It amounts to your call.

Oh, stay away from Home Depots and Lowe's by 5-7 blocks especially on a bike with pricey tires. Lots of nail and screws show up within that radius, especially near their contractor's exit. Flatbed contracting trucks spew a lot of trash on the roadways. All my flats show up after recent trips trip near one of those places.

Mack
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 11:55 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Oh, stay away from Home Depots and Lowe's by 5-7 blocks especially on a bike with pricey tires. Lots of nail and screws show up within that radius, especially near their contractor's exit. Flatbed contracting trucks spew a lot of trash on the roadways. All my flats show up after recent trips trip near one of those places.
Mack
Mack - That is good advice that I hadn't heard before. Thanks for the great tip.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:29 pm
Addict

I agree with Ken. That said, the same thing happened to me last September before a 5k trip. I had just mounted a set of new PR2's before the trip, took the bike out to scrub em in and got a drywall screw in the rear. I mounted another new PR2 because I didn't want to chance it on the trip, however, I had a tire shop "patch" the one with the screw and will run that one locally, until it wears out. BTW I would never plug a tire unless it was an emergency. Last year there was a K1200S at Big Bend that blew a plug in a curve, the rider wasn't hurt to bad but the bike was a mess.

James
Central Texas
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 4:45 pm

In my more impoverished student days, Iíve plugged tires more often than I can remember, always riding them until they wear out. Iíve never had the plug come loose.

But now that I have a decent income, an occasional unexpected $300 doesnít really impact my life, so I replace the tire. Over the lifetime of the tire, I donít miss the $300 half as much as Iíd miss the peace of mind. Throwing away a tire with 10,000 mi left on it seems a waste, but youíre also throwing away 10,000 chances for the plug to come out.

This fall, my rear tire got gashed by something on the I-90. The GT is awfully squirrelly with 0 psi even straight upright.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:13 am
Noob

I had the misfortune of having a nail puncture on my rear tire on my LT. I was about 3 miles from my destination (my lake place) so I walked there, grabbed my four-wheeler and an air compressor and came back to fill it up and drive it to the lake home. I took out the kit that BMW supplies with the weird looking iud's. (plugs to them I guess) The hole in the tire was smaller in diameter than the tool supplied to ram the "plug" in with. And the tiny amount of cement they give you couldn't lubricate a toothpick, let alone the dumb things BMW supplied. I quickly ruined the evil and just plain wrong BMW plugs. So I rode the four wheeler into town and got a proper tube of cement, and proper rope plugs. This got the job done quickly. Long story short, the tire held for weeks after this repair. Then I bought a fresh tire getting maybe 800 miles out of the repaired one before I started to feel silly.

Now I carry a small compressor, rope plugs, and a big tube of cement. (to make sure the rope plugs is slippery when jamming it home) I think rope plugs are fairly safe, but I agree that if this were a brand new tire I'd have it patched from the inside proper. I wouldn't toss a fresh tire for one small hole and I AM made out of money.
(you get that way when you don't throw money away needlessly)
(as I am now a few short hours away from heading to the local BMW dealer to perhaps FINALLY buy a GT)(or not)(please make the right decision)(YIKES!)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode