Odysey Battery for the K - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Odysey Battery for the K

can anyone confirm the Odysey battery for the K1200GT? Someone said it should be PC680MJ, but Racer Parts web site has it listed as PC680. I don't want to order the wrong one. Has anyone changed to this battery? thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:15 pm
Addict

The pc680"MJ" denotes a metal jacket. If you look at the specs., the 680 MJ will withstand quite a bit more heat. If you have ever placed your hand up there by the battery compartment, while running down the road, you know that it gets plenty hot. Some members think that the heat is a major cause of early battery failure on the GT.
HTH...James

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:21 pm Thread Starter

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
The pc680"MJ" denotes a metal jacket. If you look at the specs., the 680 MJ will withstand quite a bit more heat. If you have ever placed your hand up there by the battery compartment, while running down the road, you know that it gets plenty hot. Some members think that the heat is a major cause of early battery failure on the GT.
HTH...James
Thanks, James. We may move back to Texas in about a year. Looking in the Kerrville area. Nice riding, but LOTS of deer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:38 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theLuz
Thanks, James. We may move back to Texas in about a year. Looking in the Kerrville area. Nice riding, but LOTS of deer.
Ditto on the deer. I'm on the northern edge of the hill country and the deer, turkey, rabbits, raccoons, bobcats, cattle, farmers, tractors, are bad here also. I probably left some out, but you get the picture. I live off of a county road; it's nice for riding, but I sure have to be careful. When my 07 GT was less than a week old, I put it in a ditch trying to avoid a deer. Didn't hurt me but the bike had 10K damage. If you move to Kerrville, you will be close to the best BMW dealership in Texas.

James
Central Texas
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

what dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
If you move to Kerrville, you will be close to the best BMW dealership in Texas.
Are they in San Antonio? What dealer? I need to know.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 3:43 pm

Just as another confirmation, I put the PC680MJ in my '06 GT. JamesM is correct about the metal jacket.
I have read that others have shimmed the battery to hold it firmly against the retaining bracket because the Odyssey is just a bit shorter than the OEM battery. I didn't see the need to do that, FWIW.

Bud
2006 K1200GT - Graphite
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 5:38 pm
Veteran

I put the standard PC 680 in mine.. I haven't lost any sleep over not getting the MJ version. I think there are numerous folks that have put the non MJ in and have many miles and years on them.. But if you don't mind the extra cost, it sure can't hurt to get the MJ.
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 7:48 pm
Addict-oholic

I put the PC 680 in my 2006GT. I used 2 rubber washers as shims and the bike started in seconds each and every time over the past cold winter.
Great battery.

Larry
Deep Blue 2009 K1300GT
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Veteran

Another +1 for the MJ version. A great battery. Power O'plenty.

As for you guys in Tejas.....I just got done riding days through the hill country and west.....it ain't the deer you got that worry me so much.....they're small in comparison to our MT counterparts......

But the 20 or so freakin' Vultures and Buzzards that are feeding on all the dead carcasses in the middle of the road coming round a blind corner at 80 or so is a different story entirely!!!

Had a wing clip my helmet!!! Serious pucker factor!!!

Ah the joys of riding.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 9th, 2009, 10:29 pm
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
I just got done riding days through the hill country and west
Thanks for lunch!

The dealer that was alluded to is in Austin, Lone Star BMW/Triumph.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode