Replacing air cleaner and new-style cam chain tensioner questions? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 3:52 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Replacing air cleaner and new-style cam chain tensioner questions?

Looking at the MAX BMW parts fiche (K1200GT, 2006), I cannot figure out where the new style cam chain tensioner is located from the drawing. Looks like it's been changed from some flat plate to a oil pot

1. Where exactly is the thing and how much stuff do you remove to get to it?

2. Same question for air cleaner. Someone said only need to remove right side panel, but it looks like in the fiche it is at the front of the air intake "muffler) and maybe under the tank?

Thanks.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 4:19 pm
Addict

Mack, I cant help you with the tensioner but this .doc is from a write-up that Grif did.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Air Filter Removal.doc (157.5 KB, 288 views)

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 5:30 pm
IBR# 366

The good news is that the cam chain tensioner is also under the right body panel.

Once you remove the panel, there is a large, black styrofoam insulator (bottom left in Grif's pic). Slide that piece out, and you'll see the cam chain tensioner plate sitting on the back (top) of the cylinders, just under the frame in between the two engine mounting bolts. It takes an external Torx socket to get it out, but putting the new pieces in is relatively easy. Just make sure the lower rod is in place first, then slide the new tensioner body over it. Then torque the two external Torx bolts back down.

Here is a pic of the new and old parts:

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Apr 12th, 2009 at 8:05 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 6:38 pm
Veteran

I had the new cam reservoir replaced because mine was making an awful noise. Sounded like it was going to fly apart when first started. Especially on a cold morning. Now with the new style there's no noise at all. It's the way it should have been in the first place. I recommend any one with the start up rattle to get it done.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 7:45 pm
Noob

Is this an issue on the '08s?
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:12 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growler48
Is this an issue on the '08s?
Maybe on the early build '08 bikes. Mine was changed out in July '08, so it really depends when they started introducing it into the normal production line builds.

It's easy enough to check for though. Just pull off the right side panel and remove the black styrofoam and see if you have the flat plate or the cylinder there.

Or simply start the bike and if you hear an annoying racket like the engine is self-destructing, then you know it hasn't been changed out yet.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:39 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
Or simply start the bike and if you hear an annoying racket like the engine is self-destructing, then you know it hasn't been changed out yet.
One dealer told me that 10 seconds of that noise (e.g. "shaking marbles in a metal trashcan") is acceptable. Yeppy. He really did.

(...not in my book!)

Mack
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 11:11 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
One dealer told me that 10 seconds of that noise (e.g. "shaking marbles in a metal trashcan") is acceptable. Yeppy. He really did.

(...not in my book!)

Mack
Yeah, that's totally BS and a lack of willingness on their part to want to deal with the situation. Any noise like what I've heard is completely unacceptable. Don't let your dealers get away with telling you it's normal. The difference with the fix is night and day. You'll be glad you did.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:02 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The good news is that the cam chain tensioner is also under the right body panel.

Once you remove the panel, there is a large, black Styrofoam insulator (bottom left in Grif's pic). Slide that piece out, and you'll see the cam chain tensioner plate sitting on the back (top) of the cylinders, just under the frame in between the two engine mounting bolts. It takes an external Torx socket to get it out, but putting the new pieces in is relatively easy. Just make sure the lower rod is in place first, then slide the new tensioner body over it. Then torque the two external Torx bolts back down.

Here is a pic of the new and old parts:

I'm outside doing this upgrade now. Styrofoam did just slide off. No big deal. Aircleaner snout was full of dragon flies and grasshoppers once i twisted it loose from the rubber retainer on the back-side of the snout. Air filter was dark enough not to allow me to see any yellow while held up to the sun. It's the original made 2-06 not with 14K on it.

Back to the tensioner upgrade....

I will "assume" the spring from the old assembly is not to be used on the new assembly as it is not shown on Max BMW's online fiche?

Also, there is a notch made on the mounting flange of the new black cylinder near one of the bolt holes. Looking at the bottom of the assembly, there are also two holes that look to be for oil channels that may align up to one that is in the bike's engine.

From the larger photo on this page, the notch on the flange would be on the back facing the engine and isn't shown facing outwards (??). On MAX's BMW fiche it faces outside with the stick-on BMW label showing to the outside as well. If true, the large one in the jpg shown is mounted backwards. Wondering if it matters?

...but then again, they do not show the O-ring in the Max BMW fiche either although the new kit comes with one (opps. Never mind. It is shown as item #10, just no pic of it in the blocked image on the fiche.

(oh, a 1/4" socket fit the two Torx-headed bolts mounting the unit. Didn't have T40-45-50 (or whatever it is) external Torx driver socket lying around and I was afraid to call the Snap-On or Mac Tools man on a $aturday).

Mack
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2009, 1:45 pm
Veteran

Here's Motorrad's procedure. Enjoy.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 11 001 08(013).pdf (258.4 KB, 1052 views)

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode