K1200/1300 engine origin - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 10th, 2009, 10:52 pm Thread Starter
Noob

K1200/1300 engine origin

Does anyone know where this/our engine is being manufactured? I just read a road test in one of the monthly magazines on one of BMW 650 singles, I was shocked to learn that the engine being used in all of the 650 single BMW's are sourced and made in China by a large engine manufacturer. I know BMW was using the Rotax engines in this bike for the last several years and I also know that it is becoming a world economy but I find that an "up-scale, expensive" motorcycle manufacture sourcing engines from China is unacceptable. Anyway, are our engines German made? Thanks...........Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 12:14 am
OVD

Yes, it is German made. Here's proof: Twist the Throttle video

2009 K1300S
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 2:46 am
IBR# 366

The Slant/4 engines are German designed & built, but it wasn't until they were tweaked by a UK company that they really got it right. (The K13 engines were tuned by Ricardo.)

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:26 am Thread Starter
Noob

follow-up

Thanks for the replies. That somewhat puts my mind at ease. The video didn't show the new motor being assembled, it showed the older K engine and the boxer engine being assembled. The video did show a newer K bike being assembled.

That video is the very reason I buy BMW motorcycles (11 since 1994). I want that same sense of pride in ownership as they seem to have in building the bikes. However, I would have never bought this GT if I thought the engine and transmission were built in China or any other county other than Germany. Call me vain but when I am spending monies for a product that has earned its reputation for what ever reason, I don't want to find out later that it is not made for the reasons I bought it. Again thanks for the replies............Bob
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 11th, 2009, 8:30 am

Just in case. . .

Well, just in case, I always add an ounce or two of melamine each time I fill up.
Don G.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 5:42 am
Noob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
The Slant/4 engines are German designed & built, but it wasn't until they were tweaked by a UK company that they really got it right. (The K13 engines were tuned by Ricardo.)
Hi Meese,
What modifications did Ricardo make to the engine to get it right? Mine is a stock '07 GT with no mapping or airbox changes, valves are in spec ( checked 4000mi ago) new plugs and air filter. The bike will occasionally stall and it takes throttle poorly (not linear) when rolling on gently between 1500-3000 rpm. It just feels too lean to me. Do you know of a fix for this short of a new 1300?
I visited the Recardo link a saw that their new software VP is in the Detroit office also a U of Michigan grad.
Hey Thanks,
Wade
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:23 am
Veteran

As a followup question, where are the F series motors produced???

Gilly
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:53 am
Enthusiast

The new G engines are built by a company called Loncin in China. There is an article in the latest BMWON about that bike. And I was told by one of the sales people at a dealership that in order to get the new S1000RR in a competitive price range, that engine may be built in China as well. Don't know if that is true, but just passing the info along.

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:58 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sto04045
Hi Meese,
What modifications did Ricardo make to the engine to get it right? Mine is a stock '07 GT with no mapping or airbox changes, valves are in spec ( checked 4000mi ago) new plugs and air filter. The bike will occasionally stall and it takes throttle poorly (not linear) when rolling on gently between 1500-3000 rpm. It just feels too lean to me. Do you know of a fix for this short of a new 1300?....
First off....keep the revs higher and this won't be a problem.

Get your airbox replaced. Mines an 07 and it made all the difference in the world. No problems since.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 11:39 am
Noob

Hey thanks, I brought this to my dealers attention twice and they didn't do anything because they could not reproduce the problem. Since I never had the dreaded BBS and it runs fine in the upper rpm ranges, I just resolved to live with it. If yours was doing the same thing and the airbox upgrade fixed it, I'm going to lean on them and get it replaced before the warranty expires.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode