New K-bike owner - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 3:38 pm Thread Starter
Rookie

New K-bike owner

I've been lurking here for awhile before joining. I had my R1100RT for 9 years and wanted a newer smoother bike. I was looking at a 03 K1200RS at the local dealer. So I went down and was checking it out when the salesman asked if I'd thought about the GT. They had just gotten in a 06 GT. So I sat on it , I didn't have my helmet with me at the time so no test ride. I've read all of the down sides of the bike here and also know of the pro's and con's of the bike.
The RT sold Wednesday and I picked up the GT Saturday. I went to a small bike rally and ate free BBQ and meet up with a friend, off we went. We hit both highway and twistys, I want to see what this bike would do.
Pro's Ton's of power, WOW it will pass anything NOW
It handles wonderfully, I was suprized at how nibble it is
The windshield up didn't get in the way as it did on my RT
I love the cruise control vs. Throttle mieser
After 200 miles the seat was comfortable for me, but I liked the stock seat on the RT
Felt longer and lower than the RT, more stable at speed( up there at times )
I like the mirror, I didn't think I would
Con's
It has a buzz vibration I could feel, after a couple of hours I quite noticing
The CLUNK shifting( I know, I know), clutch also different then RT
Smaller wind protection, smaller windshield
Speeding tickets, not yet but I can see this happening

Anyway Ihated seeing the RT go , but I think the new "Love of my life" will be great. I'm ready for a road trip.

Mick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new bike 015.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	1.55 MB
ID:	10112  

Last edited by Tick; Apr 12th, 2009 at 3:49 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:12 pm
Enthusiast

Congrats Mick. You WILL love the GT. Last summer I went from a 2006 R1200RT to a 2006 K1200GT and never looked back. The GT is an awsome ride and the many pros greatly out weigh the few cons. Enjoy and post more pics.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:22 pm
Noob

Just a few months ago I went from an R1150R which I really liked to a 2007 K1200GT that I could not pass up and all I can say is my oh my. If you like yours half as much as I like mine you will be a happy biker.

This bike put the sport in sport touring. Getting ready to head to North Carolina on Monday and can't wait to get it on the beautiful rodes in and around the Smokies. Went to the Hill County in Texas 2 weeks ago and rode all of the famous threes and my favorite Highway 55.....wow you can't drive 55 on 55 no way.....

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 7:33 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffBohl
Just a few months ago I went from an R1150R which I really liked to a 2007 K1200GT that I could not pass up and all I can say is my oh my. If you like yours half as much as I like mine you will be a happy biker.

This bike put the sport in sport touring. Getting ready to head to North Carolina on Monday and can't wait to get it on the beautiful rodes in and around the Smokies. Went to the Hill County in Texas 2 weeks ago and rode all of the famous threes and my favorite Highway 55.....wow you can't drive 55 on 55 no way.....

Jeff
55 is just idling.

Wayne

http://fergie.smugmug.com/

2006 K1200GT Blue
2008 F800ST Blue (Wifes)
2006 R1200RT (Traded)
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 500R (Traded)
1999 K1200LT (Sold)
1985 K100RT (Sold)
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 4:55 am

Best choice

Good thinking Mick, now you will have some serious trouble to find a better bike after this one . .
André
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 1:17 pm

you need this

you may need this:
I went from LA to Death Valley this weekend. Going up my max speed was 107, but going back it was 110. I'm pretty sure it was when I was passing stuff. Don't totally remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	radar2.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	10117  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 2:44 pm
Addict

To help with the shifter do the Shifter Mod with the bearings

http://www.k-bikes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17225&page=1&highlight=shifter

The shifting will be better...not perfect but better...and its relatively cheap to do.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 2:57 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tick
I've been lurking here for awhile before joining. I had my R1100RT for 9 years and wanted a newer smoother bike. I was looking at a 03 K1200RS at the local dealer. So I went down and was checking it out when the salesman asked if I'd thought about the GT. They had just gotten in a 06 GT. So I sat on it , I didn't have my helmet with me at the time so no test ride. I've read all of the down sides of the bike here and also know of the pro's and con's of the bike.
The RT sold Wednesday and I picked up the GT Saturday. I went to a small bike rally and ate free BBQ and meet up with a friend, off we went. We hit both highway and twistys, I want to see what this bike would do.
Pro's Ton's of power, WOW it will pass anything NOW
It handles wonderfully, I was suprized at how nibble it is
The windshield up didn't get in the way as it did on my RT
I love the cruise control vs. Throttle mieser
After 200 miles the seat was comfortable for me, but I liked the stock seat on the RT
Felt longer and lower than the RT, more stable at speed( up there at times )
I like the mirror, I didn't think I would
Con's
It has a buzz vibration I could feel, after a couple of hours I quite noticing
The CLUNK shifting( I know, I know), clutch also different then RT
Smaller wind protection, smaller windshield
Speeding tickets, not yet but I can see this happening

Anyway Ihated seeing the RT go , but I think the new "Love of my life" will be great. I'm ready for a road trip.

Mick
I went from an RT to the GT as well, and could not be happier. The RT was a great machine, supremely reliable, and it hauled my ass all over without a complaint for 38K before I traded her for a GT. It's hard to describe all the differences, but I like to think of the RT & GT as two different solutions to the same problem. They are both great touring bikes I'm sure you will enjoy yours

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 3:47 pm

what else you need

While I'm thinking about it, you need some stuff for your new scooter:
* Install a new horn, they don't come with one
* Install a "fat foot" for the side kick stand. You don't want to know what it costs to drop one.
* Install an electrical outlet directly wired to the battery, so you can use things without starting the engine. (tire pump, battery tender, etc)
* New seat
* Radar detector
* New windshield and light guard (the standard doesn't cover tall people)

enjoy and keep the shinny side up.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old Apr 14th, 2009, 5:32 pm

First post! Woo hoo!

I'm moving from a '07 F 650 GS to a '08 K 1200 GT!

I will be picking it up at Max BMW in Portsmouth, NH this weekend. They offered it to me with $3500 off! Max bought 40 '08 K 1200 GT's with cash to get the discount and after I buy mine there will be only one left (it's silver if you're interested). I tested the 2009 K 1300 GT and noticed a buzz through the bars ... to much for me to want to buy it. Boy, it sounds great though!! The hand grips on the '09 are like holding a steel pipe! Ugh!

I've ridden the 650 for a couple of years and was ready for a two-up bike. I'll get a top case added before I leave Max ... the first trip is already planned - Portland, ME to Rutland, VT!

Any suggestions for Bluetooth helmet intercoms?? I've got a Nolan N-102 and my wife is looking for a new helment. See doesn't think the Nolan's are cute enough (she's lookin' at Suomi & Shoei), so any intercom will have to work with different helments.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode