Brake pad wear indicator light on, then off - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:10 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Brake pad wear indicator light on, then off

My '08 K1200GT has only a bit over 1200 miles on it. This afternoon I installed the R&G frame sliders (took about 3.5 hours). Took the bike for a test ride; that is, to see if all the panels were back in as they should be, not to test the frame sliders. I needed to go by the grocery store anyway.

About two miles down the road the brake pad wear indicator light turns on. I ride for another 5 miles; I didn't know it was that indicator light, but nothing appeared to be about to blow up, so I continued to my destination. After checking the manual and find out which indicator light it is, I go into the store and shop. Get back to the bike, turn it on and find the indicator light is still there.

Start riding. About three miles down the road, approaching a red traffic light I scan the instruments and the indicator light is now out. It stays off the rest of the way home.

Anybody seen something like this? Significant? Could I have pinched a wire messing with the tupperware? Hard to believe the last since I didn't see anything close to how the sides fit on.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:51 pm
Addict

Hey Doc, it may be just a coincidence re the timing of the frame sliders or you may have given something a nudge.
There is a known fault in the way the brake pad wear sensor cables were originally attached to the bike with small zip ties that were overtightened.
This eventually causes the wire in the cable to deteriorate or break and then the light comes on.
The wire continues to make contact from time to time which is why the light comes on and off.
This is the most likely cause of your problem unless you have knocked something while the panels where off.
If it is what ive suggested your dealer will replace the pads and cables for you.
Good Luck

Black stuff down, Shiny side up!______________________________
10 R1200RTSE
02 R1100S
07 K1200GT R.I.P.
86 K100RS Sold
07 R1200GSA Sold
07 Softail Heritage Sold
86 K100RS Sold
82 R100RS Sold
82 Suzi GSX1100 Sold
75 Honda 750/4 Sold
74 Yamaha XS650 Sold
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2009, 9:31 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Indicator light came back on today. I looked and I don't think my messing with the bike had anything to do with it; it is the bad wire and you say. I think I will tape over the light until I get around to getting the wire fixed.

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 16th, 2009, 11:20 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
Indicator light came back on today. I looked and I don't think my messing with the bike had anything to do with it; it is the bad wire and you say. I think I will tape over the light until I get around to getting the wire fixed.
It's interesting that yours is coming on and going off again. I'd say you probably have a broken wire that is being flaky, and the newer software that resets when it sees a good signal. Then when the connection pulls loose again the light comes back on . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 7:18 pm
Addict

Mine did that on my '06 before it finally broke. You better take a look up front. The wires are very stiff- until you find where iy's broken. I soldered mine back together with shrink wrap too- nice fix until I really need to replace. My '06 has the software where it automatically resets and the light went off just outside my driveway.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 9:25 pm
Noob

Thumbs down GTNewbie

Same problem here, with the pad wear indicator light coming on a week ago, with only 11000 Km on my 2007 K1200 GT.

Into the dealer today, and I am told that the brakes are fine; told to ignore the light!

Apparently the sensor reads a "hole" in the pads, and signals early replacement.

Obviously BMW doesn't care to provide a sensor that actually works properly.

GT Newbie
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 9:40 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTNewbie
Same problem here, with the pad wear indicator light coming on a week ago, with only 11000 Km on my 2007 K1200 GT.

Into the dealer today, and I am told that the brakes are fine; told to ignore the light!

Apparently the sensor reads a "hole" in the pads, and signals early replacement.

Your dealer is feeding you a bunch of bulls..t. Tell him you don't want to ignore the damn light, you want it fixed. If the system is working correctly, the light will not come on. you have a pinched wire somewhere. I would look very closely around the wire ties. that is usually where the problem is. Do a search you will find many posts about the brake-pad light coming on prematurely.

James
Central Texas
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 18th, 2009, 12:01 am
Veteran

Quote:
Your dealer drinks heavily and is wrong on all accounts.

Mack
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 7:04 am
Addict

Quote:

=1 on doesn' know what he is talking about. Your wire is broken and needs repaired. Guaranteed.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 7:22 am
Strafist

You're getting a consensus here. Over 30 thou on my bike. The system works, your dealer is wrong.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode