How does BMW dealer's computer or the GS-911 know about valve check service? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 8:40 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

How does BMW dealer's computer or the GS-911 know about valve check service?

I haven't used the GS-911 in some time so I thought I would use the laptop on it since I just completed a final drive oil change and a rear tire change.

The GS-911 didn't want to connect up due to some USB driver issue. Had to uninstall the old GS-911 version along with the Beta version of the GS-911 software. A new install of their latest (4-9-2009) 904.1 version still didn't want to find the driver (although they say this new version has the driver), so I fussed around in the Hardware Manager of Windows XP and uninstalled the yellow question marked GS-911 and did the Update Driver and all is well on the GS-911 again. Speaks to the bike too and finally shows a "Reset" for the brake caliper warning lamp. Yay!

However, it reports the valves need adjusting in another 497 miles (figgers, since I just changed oil maybe 300 miles ago). From the odometer, it looks like 14,376 miles for the valve check. How does this odd number get into the GS-911? Is it pre-programmed by the last servicing dealer's computer? Will it throw some display message up like "Service Soon" someplace out in the boonies?

I didn't see any reset for the valve mileage number either. The GS-911 said "Service data storage is unavailable on this bike."

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 9:33 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

From the odometer, it looks like 14,376 miles for the valve check. How does this odd number get into the GS-911? Is it pre-programmed by the last servicing dealer's computer? Will it throw some display message up like "Service Soon" someplace out in the boonies?

Mack
If I'm not mistaken, the valve adjust mileage has more to do with how the bike has been ridden, than any "set" mileage. Oil should be ok, they shouldn't have to drain the oil tank to adjust the valves.

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:19 pm
Strafist

I'm pretty sure they've done away with the computation level of set and have gone back to a mileage driven figure due to real life experience.

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 12th, 2009, 10:52 pm
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I'm pretty sure they've done away with the computation level of set and have gone back to a mileage driven figure due to real life experience.
Well, if it is a mileage driven thingy, 14,376 is sure a weird number.

James
Central Texas
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:26 am
IBR# 366

At nearly 82K miles, I've been all through this one already. Several times, in fact.

BMW put in a software "feature" that watches how the bike is ridden, then estimates when valve checks should take place. No, I don't know exactly what it's based on, or how they calculate the number. I don't think anybody does (maybe even including BMW ).

But customers stared complaining because they would come in for a full service, then find out a thousand miles later that a valve check was recommended, thus requiring another full service visit. Much like you've found.

So BMW changed the recommendation to every 18K miles, to coincide with a "normal" service interval. I told them to check my valves at the 18K service, but the dealer (not one of my two favorites) declined, because they had never done one before and they didn't have all the proper tools and shims. I agreed with that choice, rather than being stuck out on the road somewhere waiting for parts. They did tell me that my bike's computer recommended a valve check at 24,600 miles.

So I had my normal dealer do the valve check at the 24K service, and all were in spec. It's been checked twice more since then, and no shims have been changed yet. In fact, after following 5 different GT forums for the past two years, I've only heard of maybe 2 or 3 bikes that have needed shims changed (easily over a million GT-miles ridden).

It's probably time to check it again. I'd like to do it myself this time and maybe even take pics and write up the full procedure, although I don't have all the proper tools yet (hi, Grif ).

So the summary is that I'm pretty sure that you can wait until your next major service to do the valve check.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Last edited by Meese; Apr 13th, 2009 at 2:15 am.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 12:27 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesM
Well, if it is a mileage driven thingy, 14,376 is sure a weird number.
That's what I thought. It's a very odd number. Why the GS-911 showed the odd 497 miles remaining number is puzzling too.

Only thing I can think of is maybe the GS-911 is doing some conversion math with regards kilometers and miles? Their newest software version asks for "Celsius or Fahrenheit?" and "Kilometers or Miles?" in the initial setup. Maybe it works out to some 22,000-23,000 kilometers or something? No calculator nearby. I really should install Versaverter someday.

Fwiw, during the new software install for the GS-911 it also did some firmware installation into the unit which crashed on the first installation (it's green LED went out during programming) and I thought it had died permanently when a "Read 2" error popped up on the laptop, but the second attempt brought it back to life. Whew!

Watching the new Lamda display in real time with the engine running is sort of cool too. It drifts up and down during the warm up but never went outside the red + and - boundaries.

Only fault it found was some "headlight short" which I have yet to figure out why. Maybe one of my annual tip-overs since one blew out both Motolights (which are my front fork sliders). I reset it with the GS-911 so all is well.

Meese:
Just read your post. I'm wondering if the dealers really are adjusting them or just going through the motions? If they say "Good enough," do they save a whole bunch of headaches/work/time/money by avoiding the shim install? I

If Grif has done 14, maybe he can shed light on how many actually needed shimming?

Mack

Last edited by GMack; Apr 13th, 2009 at 12:34 am.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 2:06 am
IBR# 366

I doubt the dealers are calling it "good enough." There is an exact spec to check against, and just getting to the valves to check them is 80% of the work. Once you're there, if a shim needs changing then it's pretty easy to do (assuming you have the necessary shims, that is).

I know Grif has checked dozens of LT's valves (as have I), but I don't think he's done a GT yet. Might be fun to try though.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 6:03 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I doubt the dealers are calling it "good enough." There is an exact spec to check against, and just getting to the valves to check them is 80% of the work. Once you're there, if a shim needs changing then it's pretty easy to do (assuming you have the necessary shims, that is).

I know Grif has checked dozens of LT's valves (as have I), but I don't think he's done a GT yet. Might be fun to try though.
The liability issues would be huge if they were just going thru the motions.

I've checked around 3 dozen brick motor valves and actually adjusted (dropped the cams and shimmed) 14. And have 28 shims in various sizes for the brick.

I haven't done the GT yet. Ken, if you'll ping me your addy, I'll be happy to loan you the vacuum tool for the cooling system. I haven't made the tool for the cams, yet, but it looks real easy, and since I've been playing with my crackerbox lately, will whip some up..... if I can find the thread.

-=grif=-
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 7:51 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
The liability issues would be huge if they were just going thru the motions.

I've checked around 3 dozen brick motor valves and actually adjusted (dropped the cams and shimmed) 14. And have 28 shims in various sizes for the brick.

I haven't done the GT yet. Ken, if you'll ping me your addy, I'll be happy to loan you the vacuum tool for the cooling system. I haven't made the tool for the cams, yet, but it looks real easy, and since I've been playing with my crackerbox lately, will whip some up..... if I can find the thread.
Seems 14 out of 26 bikes is a large percentage that drift out of adjustment (~39%). Some dealers I know would adjust, others I'd question. I know our local used to have an open window into the shop. It's been closed since the BMW line came onboard. Makes me wonder sometimes.

Don't know about liability though as it's hard to prove unless it craters out of the shop. Some (i.e. my former car dealer) used say they did it, however, if I took it back, they just shrug and say "Part failed" and charged me the labor (again) to change it (rebuilt alternator). Probably why the last BMW I traded in the salesman was all happy about "Who serviced it?" I replied, "Me." His response was "Good. Sometime dealer's take shortcuts."

I shouldn't be so paranoid about dealers but I've noticed if I wait for something, generally the bill is always much smaller (labor) than if I leave it overnight or a week in their shop. A $2200 freeze plug on a Ford did it for me. Estimate called to me at 10AM (rear engine freeze plug) and car was done at 4PM. Even at $80/hr. they went "By the book" on labor. Dunno, but 5 hours (if the mechanic took 1 hr lunch) comes out to be about $400. Lots of labor for a $3 part. The CA BAR wasn't much help as once they call you with the estimate you're stuck with it regardless of what the hourly rate is. I won't mention paying $1000 labor alone for the last BMW dealer installing an Autocom, Motolights, and a radar detector - and then only 2 of the 3 worked and I had to straighten it out as they "were too busy to get to it." They claimed it took them 2 days to do things like sub-mini plugs (2.5mm) into 3.5mm mini-jacks.

Mack
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old Apr 13th, 2009, 9:49 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Seems 14 out of 26 bikes is a large percentage that drift out of adjustment (~39%).
14 out of around 36 bikes. Most of these were high mileage bikes and we pretty much knew they'd be needing it. What is shocking is to pop the valve cover on a bike with over 70k on that has never been adjusted and it STILL doesn't need adjusting.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode