How big a job is it to replace a headlight bulb? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 6:31 am Thread Starter
Noob

How big a job is it to replace a headlight bulb?

Bulb blew on the way to work this morning & I haven't had a chance to look at it yet.

I just wondered if this is a major job or not?

Only asking as I've had a bike in the past that needed quite a bit of the fairing to be removed simply to get access to the front headlight compartment whilst others have been a simple removal of a couple of screws.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 7:30 am
Addict

The first time you do it, it's a pain, but after that it gets easy.

If it's the low beam, turn the bars fully right. Get a flashlight and look up in there. you'll see a square plastic cover. There's 2 tabs on top that need to be pressed up. Those will release the cover. the cover has 2 tabs on the bottom that slide into notches. So once the tabs on top are released, just lift the cover slightly and pull it out. Now it's just a matter of unplugging the old bulb, pulling it out and replacing it. Note that there is a wire clip that holds the bulb in place. It's kind of a spring clip that you'll need to release from the bottom. The ends are hooked into a little catch thingie. Just push the spring slightly inward and toward the front of the bike. That should release them from the hook. Now just remove the bulb.

I don't know about yours or anyone else's but after I blew out the factory bulb, I've replaced mine about 4 times in a year and half. If you can, you might want to think about converting to HID.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 7:44 am

Bulb replacement

It sounds like you are touching the bulb glass with your bare hands......a no no.
That leaves an oily film which overheats the bulb and shortens its life dramatically.
Use thin cotton gloves etc. to hold the bulb during replacement.

Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwsdad
The first time you do it, it's a pain, but after that it gets easy.

If it's the low beam, turn the bars fully right. Get a flashlight and look up in there. you'll see a square plastic cover. There's 2 tabs on top that need to be pressed up. Those will release the cover. the cover has 2 tabs on the bottom that slide into notches. So once the tabs on top are released, just lift the cover slightly and pull it out. Now it's just a matter of unplugging the old bulb, pulling it out and replacing it. Note that there is a wire clip that holds the bulb in place. It's kind of a spring clip that you'll need to release from the bottom. The ends are hooked into a little catch thingie. Just push the spring slightly inward and toward the front of the bike. That should release them from the hook. Now just remove the bulb.

I don't know about yours or anyone else's but after I blew out the factory bulb, I've replaced mine about 4 times in a year and half. If you can, you might want to think about converting to HID.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 7:45 am Thread Starter
Noob

Great, thanks for that

It is the factory bulb that's gone (after 2.5 years & 27K miles so not bad really!).

I still have the side lights & main beam from what I can make out. Will be able to check when I get out of the office later today.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 10:58 am
Addict

I try to be very careful handling those bulbs because that oily hands thing. I normally just grab the plug end and don't touch the bulb. I've heard some other folks have had issues with fast bulb burnout of aftermarket bulbs. A friend here at the office said he used Silverstar bulbs, but they kepy burning out fast on him, so he switched to another brand and had far fewer issues. i can't even remember what i put in this last time, but I know it wasn't the Silverstar.

Doug Turner
'86 Concours
'99 K1200LT - gone
'06 K1200GT - the new kid in town
'08 Wing - gone
Marshall, TX
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old Apr 15th, 2009, 11:54 am
IBR# 366

For reference, both low beams and the high beam all use the same H7 bulb. So in a pinch, you can swap bulbs around to get you back on the road. That is, if you're crossing a desert and need the high beam, you can use a low beam bulb. Or if you're crossing a city and can't use the high beam, you can get two good low beam bulbs.

Or, you could just switch to HID and then the bulbs wouldn't fail, plus you'll get vastly superior light output to boot.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in