Final drive's oil iron content high - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 7:57 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Unhappy Final drive's oil iron content high

Blackstone Labs just informed me the K1200GT (2006) final drive has 4-5 times the amount of iron in the oil that it should have. Granted, it was 12,000 miles since the last final change at 1,500 miles. This was when BMW thought the final's could be lifetime sealed against changing so I didn't do it until 1,500 and they omitted the 6 o'clock drain plug.

The lab suggested I not go anymore than 7,000 miles until the next final oil change to see what is up with the excess iron getting into the oil. Chromium was a bit high (cheap-ass outsourced Asian bearings maybe?) as was silicon. Yes, there is a magnet on the 3 o'clock drain plug (I added it at the 1,500 mile change) but it didn't show anything. Only thing that sort of startled me about the final oil change was some positive pressure "hissy-pop" when I pulled the drain plug. It wasn't hot either as it sat overnight before I tackled it.

Engine was in fine shape through their analysis and they said I could extended the engine change out to around 7,500 miles for the next oil change on it.

Fwiw, Amsoil was in both engine and final.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 17th, 2009, 8:15 pm
IBR# 366

Interesting. Did the lab check your 1,500-mile oil as well, or is this the first test?

Sounds like you need to change it again at 6-7K, then see what they say. This kind of info can be very valuable, but really only as a trend rather than as individual results. Unless you see actual metal bits, that is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 7:24 am
Addict

Very timely post- I just did both my '06 GT and '07 GS yesterday and pulled samples for Blackstone on both. I'll post my findings here.

Based on how much I ride, I've always changed the lube on my K100RT at the beginning of every season. So, it is very natural to adopt this for my newer bikes to. my fidings yesterday:

1. I don't care that I don't have a bottom drain plug on my '06. Not having one would tempt me to not look at the splines. After having done my own splines on both '07 GS and '06 GT, it is amazing how dry they get after one year, approximately 10,000 miles. Having to split the rear drive from the shaft to drain it let's me kill two services at one time.

2. The GT had 6,481 miles on the rear drive BMW 75w90. It was VERY ugly and Blackstone is gonna laugh. The GS had 9,105 miles on the rear drive BMW 75w90. It looked brand new. (What's that about?)

3. Using the RepROM, it was intersting to me that the bolt/washer setup for disassembling the paralever in the back was different:
GT: Bolt/washer/lever/no washer/nut
GS: Bolt/no washer/lever/washer/nut

4. All torques were the same, which was expected and convenient.

5. The GT was kind of a pain, the GS was a breeze. The GT's drive doesn't fall completely vertical to the 3 o'clock drain plug. The GS rear drive does. This is NOT a matter of higher ground clearance of the GS- therre is a physical top on the GT that prevents total vertical draining.

6. Before operations yesterday, I got on here and searched around for whether the new thinking is for 75w140 vs the RepROM stated 75w90 oil for both the GS and GT. I didn't find much discussion on the subject so I defaulted to the stated 75w90, which is what I had on hand anyway. I'm going to start a new thread on that for matter of record.

7. I took pics of the splines on both bikes for future records- they both looked perfect. I wish I had taken them with grease and at first exposure after the season so people can see how I goop them up and how dry they look after 10,000 miles. I used Honda Moly 60 as that also was what I had on hand. If anyone has other alternatives, please let me know.

Here's hoping that the GT rear drive will survive the Blackstone analysis.

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:16 am
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
Blackstone Labs just informed me the K1200GT (2006) final drive has 4-5 times the amount of iron in the oil that it should have. Granted, it was 12,000 miles since the last final change at 1,500 miles. This was when BMW thought the final's could be lifetime sealed against changing so I didn't do it until 1,500 and they omitted the 6 o'clock drain plug.

The lab suggested I not go anymore than 7,000 miles until the next final oil change to see what is up with the excess iron getting into the oil. Chromium was a bit high (cheap-ass outsourced Asian bearings maybe?) as was silicon. Yes, there is a magnet on the 3 o'clock drain plug (I added it at the 1,500 mile change) but it didn't show anything. Only thing that sort of startled me about the final oil change was some positive pressure "hissy-pop" when I pulled the drain plug. It wasn't hot either as it sat overnight before I tackled it.

Engine was in fine shape through their analysis and they said I could extended the engine change out to around 7,500 miles for the next oil change on it.

Fwiw, Amsoil was in both engine and final.

Mack
Time to keep an eye for end play at the rear wheel.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 6:46 pm
Addict

Got my blackstone Report back...

2007 GS rear drive- fine, right in line with what is expected.

2006 GT rear drive- lot's of chrome and iron. NOT '5 times" as much, but more than the GS. I'mm flush it again at the next motoro oil change- within 1500 miles and then let 'er go for awhile.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:58 am Thread Starter
Veteran

Interesting how the same oil comes out clear in the GS and dirty in the GT.

My iron was like 550ppm and 30ppm chromium. Stuff was nasty shade of gray goop, but it did have some moly in it as did the original oil out of it when I first changed it at 1500 miles. I had Amsoil 75w-90 in it.

Coastie also had some high iron in his, around 485ppm if I recall. Haven't heard if his blew out a final drive...yet.

I took my old drain plug that didn't have the magnet in it, got some JB Weld (epoxy) and filled the cavity up, let it dry, drilled the center out to 3/16" a bit, and then JB Weld'ed some little $2 rare-earth Radio Shack magnet into it. It has a bit more magnetic "umpf" than the BMW plug. We'll see if I detect any more metallic stuff on it at the next change which I may do in 1500 miles or so. Didn't see that much on the last plug, but Blackstone said "Bad bike bits showing up."

They made some change to the rear drives around 8-06, but I think it was only to add the 6 o'clock drain plug stuff in addition to the 3 o'clock fill/drain. Then again, they also moved it to only one plug at 7 o'clock later too. Wish they would address the internals though.

Pretty sad day when the chain or belt off another brand of bike will outlast a $2,200 BMW final drive.

Mack
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old May 3rd, 2009, 3:30 pm
Addict

583 iron, 389 "normal". 8 chromium, 5 normal...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode