Final drive- Stated 75w90 or 75w140? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 6:27 am Thread Starter
Addict

Final drive- Stated 75w90 or 75w140?

I changed my rear drive oil yesterday and got on here prior to find out what the current "thinking" is on rear drive lube. The RepROM states 75w90, but I've heard people are putting in 75w140. All I had on hand was the 75w90, so that's what I used?

Has BMW changed that spec?

Thanks-

B.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 11:55 am
Addict

I started a similar thread last year and the consensus seemed to be to use 75w90. I also used 75w90 because that is what I had on hand. i think that I will go with 75w140 next time. FWIW, I change my final drive oil, and replace the "filthy" air filter every other time that I change engine oil. If I didn't have to drop the drive, I would probably change it a every engine oil change. It sure doesn't cost much to change it.

James
Central Texas
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 12:19 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brahma
Has BMW changed that spec?
No, BMW still thinks that only the 600-mile change is necessary and that after that, the drive is maintenance free.

There is a home mechanic theory that the 75w140 is a "better" oil than 75w90. There's no proof of that, but obviously a bigger number must be better, right?

I think changing it regularly gives you a chance to check the oil for particulates and the tire/bearing for play. And that's pretty much the best we can do here.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old Apr 19th, 2009, 1:10 pm
Veteran

I am currently running Amsoil 75w-90 in the final. Blackstone reported the actual oils weight at 78.5 viscosity at 212 degrees (F). More disturbing is they told me my recent oil sample changed last weekend showed 537 ppm iron where it should only be 142 ppm or less. Sort of disturbing. No play detected .... yet.

I may try a heavier 75w-140 next time if the iron content number is still to high. I will check it in another 7,000 miles per their suggestion to see what the numbers say.

Why BMW cannot get a handle on oil is beyond me. They change their upper oil numbers from 90 to 140 weight as the wind blows and their drives still puke to this day. My dealer now dealer has both 75w-90 and 75w-140 weight BMW branded (made by Spectrol) specified oil sitting on their shelf.

<uh, oh!...feel rant coming on>

I wish they'd get their the hands on their bearing manufacturer and wring their bloody fookin' neck! I suspect mine may be heading south since the chromium level was also high and that is the plating off the balls in the final's race. No excuse for this problem that has been going on for more than a decade now. If they cannot make a decent chromium ball bearing, move on to a more durable ceramic or zirconium ball bearing or something that won't even mind if there is no oil or whatever kind of crap it's lubricated with - even water. Sure it might cost more, but the quality and longevity would be there. But no. Instead they install some cheap-ass looking handlebar controls on the new 1300 and then hike the price. No doubt the same cheap-ass ball bearing resides in that final as well with the apology from that bearing company saying, "Oh, we addressed that problem." Yeah. Right. Prove me wrong after how many design changes, oil spec changes, and lifetime lubricated nonsense.

Hell. The damn yoke bearings on the drive shafts are never lubricated and run 100,000+ miles or more, but the final drive bearings begin to degrade in less than 15K and they are oil bathed! Now really!

</rant>

Okay. I'm done. I'm going out to rub off some more chromium.

Mack

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode