Part exchange values - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Part exchange values

Following on from the recent thread on this subject, I decided to ask my dealer for a price on a new K1300GT taking my bike in part exchange.

My GT is a 2006 model with ALL options and would have retailed full list at somewhere between 20-21,000. Today he told me it was worth in part exchange, wait for it........ 9940!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! So in 3 years my bike has lost over 50% of it's value.

I never buy any type of vehicle, car or bike, and expect to make money, and was quite happy that when I bought it as a two year old bike I had the benefit of a 5000 saving on new price, equivalent to 25% drop in two years.

How in the hell does it lose another 5000 and 25% in one year????????

Of course this is the dealer price and the private sale value I calculate to be closer to 13600 as it has one years less mileage on it than it should have. Nevertheless the hit is high.

So, the best deal I can get? They will offer 11,397.50 as part ex and I pay full retail. This is a "gain" of 12% based on their 9940 valuation. Alternatively they offer 1000 off list of the bike and throw in registration and delivery costs of circa 400, about 5% saving.

Neither offer is particularly generous, and lead time is 3 months, BUT, if I decide by the end of this week, one can miraculously appear overnight and be available for early May.

How are others finding their part ex values? Seems the adage that the more you pay, the bigger the loss. My friend found his R1150RT is worth 9000 too, and its two years older than mine and was several thousand less to buy in the first place! Work that one out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 4:08 pm
Veteran

On a 2006 GT, let's say your purchase price was 20,000 or $25,900 U.S. which seems high unless you also factored in tax and license fees.

My link to Kelly Blue Book on Motorcycles shows the GT value in my area of California at: 10,135 or $13,125 for outright sale to individual.

For trade-in to dealer, they show 7,423 or $9,380 U.S. Your hit in France looks to be much lower than the U.S. hit which looks to be 40-50% of what it was when new.

I sometimes wonder if this high depreciation stuff is controlled by the insurance companies to get the thing wrote off as totaled as fast as possible. "So sorry, but your four-year old wrecked bike is only worth $3000. Be happy." An '06 GT can fall over at a gas station and be totaled out for that now <damhik>.

Mack
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 6:27 pm
IBR# 366

By the time I get rid of a bike, its got 100K miles on it. So resale isn't really a big factor for me.

But that's how the dealers stay in business. Buy low, sell high, then buy the same bike back low again when the newest-latest-greatest-must-have toys come out.

It sounds like you're ahead of the curve from buying used already, just not as far ahead as you thought you were. Then again, couldn't you ride the bike a few countries north and sell it for much more? Or did the euro mess that all up?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode