Newbie GT Question - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 7:50 pm Thread Starter
Noob

Newbie GT Question

The wife and I are looking for a bike with better long distance capabilities. I thought I wanted an RT until I rode one. Nice bike, but just didn't have "it". So the next week we went back to the dealer and rode a 1200GT. Wow! That's the bike I want.
Now I have a chance to trade in my Ducati Multistrada for an 06GT with 20K miles. I can buy an extended warranty for $1,100. 3 years unlimited mileage. What do you guys think, worth it or not?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 21st, 2009, 10:37 pm

I had an 06GT and in Nov. I traded it in for an 08GT. If you can afford it and can find one I would look toward the 08 rather than the 06. There are a lot of first year issues corrected in the 08 (seat, cam chain adjuster, air box.....). As a side note my wife loves the GT and has no trouble with long distances on the stock seat, she did not like the 06 stock seat though. I have to say there is plenty of power and stability at high speed and in the twisties.

Good luck in your search,

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 8:53 am

I recently purchased a new ("leftover") 2008 GT at a much-reduced price (if you can find one, something to consider).

Regardless, I paid for an extended warranty.. This, even considering it was new and I have a factory warranty.

The bike is sophisticated, complex and has some very expensive parts. Even with reasonable dependability, one or two "big" parts outside of the factory warranty would more than pay for the extended warranty.

Unless you don't plan on keeping it that long, or the price is prohibitive, I say yes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:30 am
Veteran

You know, every one has a different definition of "long distance".....however.... as much as I enjoy the occasional 2 or 3 day few hundred mile a day trip with my wife on the back......I would NEVER consider the GT for that main purpose.

"The wife and I are looking for a bike with better long distance capabilities."......Buy a Goldwing.

The GT is the ultimate 1 up sport touring machine. You're not going to want her back there for long.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 9:54 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_W
...."The wife and I are looking for a bike with better long distance capabilities."......Buy a Goldwing..
humph!

Some sort of forum heresy going on here. Mods ought to lock this thread before it gets out of hand.

Bad Robert.

Mack
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:46 am

I have an 06GT which was an ex demo bike. The dealer gave me two years extra warranty and I'm glad I've got it. Had a lot of problems which you probably wouldn't have with an '08.

I would say pay the warranty and it will be money well spent, plus peace of mind that you won't be paying any potentially large bills!
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 10:53 am
Enthusiast

Just a quick question. Does the extended warranty kick in after the factory warranty expires or in conjuction with the factory warranty?

Dale
2008 K1200GT
Metallic Blue
MOA #72871
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 11:05 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTConvert
I would say pay the warranty and it will be money well spent, plus peace of mind that you won't be paying any potentially large bills!
Yeah, buy the warranty. I bought an '08 KGT and paid for the extended warranty ... it kicks in after the factory warranty expires.

6 years and unlimited mileage ... that's peace of mind!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:35 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
humph!

Some sort of forum heresy going on here. ....

Bad Robert.

Mack
No heresy Mack. Just stating a fact. I'm assuming from the guys post that he's looking for a 2 up long distance machine, and if the GT works for him....cool. Maybe she rides her own bike. Dunno. But I don't think that many of guys here would want their SO on the back end the majority of the time. While the bike is quite capable of 2 up riding, it's just not the same.

But, to each their own.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old Apr 22nd, 2009, 12:37 pm
Noob

Yes great bike. But also you have to look for an aftermarket windscreen solution if you want a real long distance bike. Because you or your passenger will probably be uncomfortable over 120 km/h. after a few hours of riding.

'07 K1200GT (new toy)
'06 R1200RT
'06 R1200GS
'06 F 650 GS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode