From all the polls above, seems the 2007 was a lemon year for the GT. - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:19 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

From all the polls above, seems the 2007 was a lemon year for the GT.

I would have thought the 2006 would have been the buggy year since it was the first year for the Gen. II GT. However, the percentages are rather startling since the 2007 GT seems to have far more bug reports associated with them from the polls.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 4:43 pm
Strafist

Does that count the '07's that were actually built in '06?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 6:21 pm
IBR# 366

I don't see that at all. What I see is that more '07 GT's were sold than either '06 or '08, or really, that more '07's were reported on in those polls. Now if the polls said:

'06 failed
'06 OK
'07 failed
'07 OK
'08 failed
'08 OK

Then you might have something.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 8:25 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meese
I don't see that at all. What I see is that more '07 GT's were sold than either '06 or '08, or really, that more '07's were reported on in those polls. Now if the polls said:

'06 failed
'06 OK
'07 failed
'07 OK
'08 failed
'08 OK

Then you might have something.
I wonder how many were sold of the various years? When the '06 came out, you had a hard time finding one in California. Maybe too new and too different. They were sold as soon as they hit the showroom and test rides were almost impossible. They had a high-percentage interest rate on them as well (i.e. BMW seems to lower the interest rate on slower-moving models).

The '07's were awaiting sales when they appeared. Of course, they also had stuff like HID lighting, traction control, and the Tire Pressure Monitor that didn't make it in the '06 and they removed the powered-assisted brakes. One would think they' move faster.

The '08's still sitting around might be the economy downturn to show anything significant in the polls...yet. And some dealers still have '08's on the floor. Their 800's and cheaper models seem to be moving as most dealers can't hold onto them long enough.

The '09's are also sitting on the dealer's floors so it may indeed be the economy or maybe gun-shy buyers? Price too high? Dunno.

I was also looking over the entire PDF on the "84 differences" thread (84 not really shown and sort of skewed back to the original GT Gen. I models of '02), and very little is mentioned of the final drive on the new K1300. It looks to be the same thing, except it's now in heat-absorbing black housing (! ? !). Most is fuel mapping and shock design mods. They do speak of the driveline as being changed, but that part rarely seems to fail.

I'd like to know what, if anything, BMW has done with the final drive on the '09. Their engines - almost all of them - hold up well with the exception of fuel issues and rarely outright die (hmm..? With the exception of the R-series Hall-Effect sensor's heat melt/failure issue), but their final drives have been a very weak link for more than a decade now and even 10% is too much.

Sideline, I've contacted a bearing manufacturer asking about aftermarket ceramic bearings for the bike. I hope to hear something from them since Googling "BMW final drive failures" brought up 35,600 posts on the matter. A final failure will leave you stranded. I can live with fueling BBS, backfires, and minor stuff like "slow-to-crank" battery issues as it's still rideable, but a final I can't deal with - especially when an oil analysis report throws up a red flag like excess iron in the oil. Add to the insult as why BMW NA extended the final drive warranty on certain models of '07's and not the same courtesy to the '06's who got shafted by their "Maintenance Free Final" claim when new.

Mack
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 9:40 pm
Enthusiast

I have an '07, and they forced me to get the antenna ring fixed on my last service because they said it needed to be done. I've had no issues with mine, it's been the most trouble free bike and I've owned every BMW engine configuration to date. Just don't get me started about my K100RS.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack
I'd like to know what, if anything, BMW has done with the final drive on the '09.
Me, too. I can't find anything concrete about the '09 drive that is different than the '08 drive. And trust me, I've looked.

And based on my direct experiences, I'd say that at least my '07 has had some very serious reliability issues . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 11:28 pm
IBR# 366

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavtm
I have an '07 . . . it's been the most trouble free bike and I've owned every BMW engine configuration to date.
Wanna trade?

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2009, 7:59 am

Quote:
Wanna trade?
Well, until my engine failed at 33,452 miles, it was the most reliable BMW I've had.

That was 9 months of trouble free riding. It got the EWS antenna during a service, got the suspension link on a service and that's been it.

But, it appears my engine failure was caused by the generator failing leading to low voltage available to start the bike, cam chain tensioner jamming, cam chain jumping a tooth and "valves kissing the pistons".

BMW themselves were very good, authorising a short engine and generator in 1 working week.

Then the dealer screwed up big time, by failing to order parts.

They weren't carrying valve shims in stock for Christ's sake - and that could have led to any bike on an 18k service being off road for up to two weeks - absolute madness.

Took 3 1/2 months to get my bike back because of those ordering screw-ups. I will not be uisng that dealer again, and as they had got my service business for the last 7 years at a visit every 6 weeks (every 6k miles) - their loss.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2009, 9:33 am
Enthusiast

Smile

Quote:
Wanna trade?
Ah, no way. I'm keeping this one. If I get another it'll be a Suzuki GT750 restoration but I first have to finish my WC12 Dodge and Ford GPW. Too many projects and not enough time. This bike keeps me out of the dealership and in the garage working on my Velocette (new clutch).
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old Apr 24th, 2009, 9:47 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by niall
Well, until my engine failed at 33,452 miles, it was the most reliable BMW I've had.

That was 9 months of trouble free riding. It got the EWS antenna during a service, got the suspension link on a service and that's been it.

But, it appears my engine failure was caused by the generator failing leading to low voltage available to start the bike, cam chain tensioner jamming, cam chain jumping a tooth and "valves kissing the pistons".

BMW themselves were very good, authorising a short engine and generator in 1 working week.

Then the dealer screwed up big time, by failing to order parts.

They weren't carrying valve shims in stock for Christ's sake - and that could have led to any bike on an 18k service being off road for up to two weeks - absolute madness.

Took 3 1/2 months to get my bike back because of those ordering screw-ups. I will not be uisng that dealer again, and as they had got my service business for the last 7 years at a visit every 6 weeks (every 6k miles) - their loss.
Great, I'm right about at 33k. Hope it's not an omen.

This is the first I've ever read of the cam chain tensioner jamming. Making a hell of a rattle because it wasn't getting oil yes, but jamming up and then skipping a tooth?! Wow. Did you have the newer reservoir on it or have you been listening to the chatter at start up for a while? This could be an excellent example for those that haven't had it replaced yet.

'07 GT Sold- 2012 GSA Triple Black - Farkles O'Plenty!

I think I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe....but I am NOT a Dental Floss Tycoon!
What's with this STUPID Cosmic Door?! ....Going Somewhere?!....Going Somewhere?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode