My new bike is Dead... DED .... Dead! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:11 pm Thread Starter
Veteran

My new bike is Dead... DED .... Dead!

Had a wonderful weekend at the beach with the family. Yesterday, we packed up and I was prepared for a nice ride home (wife driving the kids in the SUV). Got on the bike, hit the starter button and ...... nothing! Not to worry, must have something configured wrong. Checked everything and still nothing. All instrument indications look fine, battery working..... nothing.

I take of the helmet and attempt to call the wife. No signal. WTF? She's already left and is on the way home. I run around the yard, looking for a signal. Finally, one bar. I make the call. Straight to voicemail. I repeat this process for about 20 minutes, until she finally answers the phone. Suffice to say she isn't happy about turning around to rescue me from my new "toy".

Since I didn't have a steady cell signal and I didn't want to deal with the whole issue, I waited until today to call the included roadside service. The person was nice but informed me that they would only transport the bike 20 miles and wanted to know how I wished to pay the difference, Visa or Mastercard? I asked him to give me a quote first and call me back.

I dug up some old numbers at BMW corporate and got a hold of Corey in the Motorcycle group. He was aghast that I would be asked to pay for the tow (the bike only has 600 miles on it), and he took care of lining up transportation from Rehoboth Beach, Delaware to Mount Laurel, New Jersey (130 miles). Kudos to them for stepping up and providing excellent customer service.

So, the bike arrives at the dealership. They attempt to start the bike and nothing. There is a problem. My salesman walks up to the bike and turns the ignition, hits the start button and it starts up just fine! At least they were able to duplicate the problem.

Stay tuned.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2009, 7:47 pm
Strafist

Pulling in the clutch before the diagnostice were complete?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:17 pm
Veteran

Sort'a reminds me of when a bunch of Harley folk gathered around mine at a gas station and I couldn't start it. They all got a kick out of it - all except me. I sheepishly pushed it away from the gas pumps and behind the gas station while they all rode off.

For some reason, I got the start sequence right and it fired right up after being befuddled for a half hour as to why. Since then, I've seen other people switch bikes on rides from another brand to BMW and sit there wondering how to start it.

Stuff happens.

Mack
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 27th, 2009, 8:49 pm
Addict

Like Grif said, if you pull the clutch in before you turn the ignition on, it will not start.

James
Central Texas
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 1:45 am
Noob

My guess: It's the combination switch on the right handlebar. I think they may have a bad batch. I've had that switch changed as well as the combo switch on the left handlebar the day I bought my K1300GT. Supposedly not available in the US at this time. They got my switches off another new bike in the showroom. I assume it's only a matter of time until the "new" switches fail.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 4:50 am
Veteran

The infamous "clutch pull" strikes again!

130 mile tow for a "clutch pull". Wouldn't that just piss you right off . . . . .

It's really friggin funny in hindsight though.

Chris
NS, Canada

IBA, MOA, ONS

The mind knows no speed limit.

'06 GT - CGM "Katie"
'84 Airhead "Rita"
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:48 am

Same Problem -- Bad Switches?

Without going into the full story, my new K1300GT is currently in the shop for similar problems, probably related to both switch clusters. BMW knows about this (my bike was at the dealer in SC, would not start, and the windshield would not function, yet the computer showed no fault codes and nothing wrong! BMW told them to replace switches without blinking an eye!) I'll give more details when I get final word from Manhattan BMW and when my blood pressure returns to normal.
Don Goldberg
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 7:20 am
Veteran

Newly designed switch gear faulty, eh? Wonder if that's why one new K1300GT sat in the local dealer's shop (wouldn't start) for a month.

Seems BMW AG runs off and creates a whole new bug without addressing the old bug(s). Final drives come to mind: "Just spray 'em a different color and everyone will think it's a new design."

Mack
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 9:08 am

Not to say that this is the issue however my 06GT had the same issue. The only difference was it would shut down during a ride and then would not start again. The BMW Tech tracked it down to a pinched wire along the frame after the 3rd time it went to the dealership. The wire that got pinched was the kickstand kill switch so no mater what I did no the side of the road the bike would not start.

12' R1200GS Rallye
08' K1200GT (traded)
06' Audi A4 3.2Q
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 10:42 am
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
Pulling in the clutch before the diagnostice were complete?
Also, as we're fond of saying in The Lone Star state - are you holding your mouth right?

Best of luck in all seriousness,

David

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode