6K service-did the oil change myself, now what? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 2:56 pm Thread Starter
Addict

6K service-did the oil change myself, now what?

Rather than delay my recent trip of 2k miles to get a service appointment, I chose to change my 08GT's oil at 5,900 miles. Now I'm back and wondering if many of you have done this and then taken the bike to the dealer for computer check and a general once over to see everything is still screwed on tight and to check for any upgrades/fixes/etc. Make sense? If so what might one expect to pay for the remaining service?

I also am in need of tires (8,000 miles on originals rear has a little tread left, front is feathering, cupping,etc) and considering getting tires via online store and having a local independent shop mount them for me, since dealer gets full list on tiers and over $100 for mounting and balancing 2, and I can't stand that.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

1974 Norton Commando 850 Soon to be a restoration project
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 3:47 pm
Veteran

I know this sounds strange, but my dealer service rep knows I work on my own stuff when I can, he is recommending that I do my own oil changes at 6K, then bringing it in for the next one (12K), so I will do the next oil change(18K), then they do the one after that, then I do one, etc, of course there will be things they'll need to do when they have it, brake fluid flushes, coolant flushes, etc.
On the tires, I had the same idea, although I would pull the wheels off and just bring them in, both to save labor and to make sure they were removed properly.
Gilly
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 4:28 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillyWI
On the tires, I had the same idea, although I would pull the wheels off and just bring them in, both to save labor and to make sure they were removed properly.
Gilly
That's what I was planning.

Alternating the oil changes sounds like a reasonable plan too.

2008 K1200GT, Custom Paint, Vivid Black, Aeroflow WS & Aeroguards, Givi E52 Maxia Topcase w/AdMore Lighting, Zumo 660, Suburban Footpeg Lowering, Sargent Seat

2009 R1200GS Adventure, Magnesium Grey/Black, Adventure Cases, Zumo 660, Touratech Unobtanium Accessories

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 4:55 pm
Veteran

One of these: 4 Pound Dead Blow Hammer (3 lbs. and under don't work well, imo)

plus one of these: Bead Popper

one of these: Pit Bull Front Stand

two sets of these: Rim Protectors

three of these: Tire Irons

Some old sheet to toss on grass and mess with the above (hammer does it for me!)....

Then go here and learn how to mount them the easy way without tools and no scratches ("Yamaha Tire Mounting Lube" helps): Easy way to mount tires without scratching

Then get some of these: Wheel weights

add one of these: Wheel Balancer (order BG12 kit for newer GT)

and sit it on a pair of these: Lightweight stands for above wheel balancer

...and you can do all the tires you can handle. Probably even better balancing too.

Fwiw, in my past experience, some dealers get really miffed if you show up with tires bought elsewhere to save a buck and may charge you a higher service fee or refuse to do them altogether <damhik!>.

Mack
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:07 pm
Enthusiast

If you get a service manual, you will learn that aside from the oil changes every 6K (a no brainer in itself which a pump makes easier), most of the items on the service list are inspections that you can do yourself. My dealer is willing to plug it into the GT-1, clear any faults, and stamp my book saying that the service was performed. I keep a record of the mileage, what I did, and the receipts for the oil and & filters (in case of a warranty beef w/ BMW). I get much more reasonable shop rates working on my own bike and I know it was done right by someone who give a shit.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 28th, 2009, 5:54 pm
Strafist

With a GS-911 you don't even need to have them put it on the GT-1. Have you ridden in Austin lately?

-=grif=-
What was that middle thang?
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 7:48 am

Tire mounting

Mack,

Have you used the strap procedure to mount a new tire? Does this actually work as well as it seems - and what kind of difference would be expected with the tires for our bikes?

Looks too easy.

Can you give us your take on mounting tires for the GT?

Thanks!

Mike

'08 K1200GT
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:45 am Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
With a GS-911 you don't even need to have them put it on the GT-1. Have you ridden in Austin lately?
Austin? is that a borough of NYC? GS-911 cost=$299 from the website. Do you know if the interface is standard so one could use the free readout at AutoZone (As if anything BMW could be standard/free)?

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:39 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrick
Austin? is that a borough of NYC? GS-911 cost=$299 from the website. Do you know if the interface is standard so one could use the free readout at AutoZone (As if anything BMW could be standard/free)?
You'd think it was NYC the way IH35 stops. I'm sooooo happy the toll road goes around Austin now. But, to get to the dealership you have to travel that time bomb.

No, no standard auto ODB will work. I've had the GS-911 for a few years now. It is worth every penny, especially with their new upgrades.

-=grif=-
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 9:42 am
Strafist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkuhno
Mack,

Have you used the strap procedure to mount a new tire? Does this actually work as well as it seems - and what kind of difference would be expected with the tires for our bikes?

Looks too easy.

Can you give us your take on mounting tires for the GT?

Thanks!
I use a muttly collection to mount tires. Harbor Freight tire machine with the motosickle attachment, a Marc Parnes balancer and No Mar spoons and bars.

Piece of cake once you do it a dozen times, or so.

-=grif=-

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode