Seat swap? Or lower the pegs? - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 4:49 pm Thread Starter
DrD

Seat swap? Or lower the pegs?

I thought my '08 K1200GT fit me fine. Well, it does under many circumstances. But this past Sunday I went on a 10 hour, 500+ mile ride. On the second half of the ride my right knee started having fits; pain when moving on the seat, a deep ache starting. This could be eliminated by stopping and walking a little. However, the fits would start up again 20 or so minutes later and that is too much stopping.

I'm thinking I need just a little more seat to peg separation. My seat is the 'low' seat put in its high position. This is less than half an inch lower than the 'standard' seat in its low position, but 1.5" below that seat in its high position. (I should have gotten the standard seat to start with, but I got a great deal and my legs felt fine for normal length rides.)

It looks like my choices are: swapping my heated, low seat for a heated standard seat (the passenger seat doesn't make any difference); getting a peg lowering kit. If the pegs are lowered, though, then shifting can require lifting the boot off the peg.

Thoughts?

When in doubt, apply more throttle.
2008 K1200GT, Dark Graphite, "#4, the Dancing Hippo"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:13 pm
Veteran

The shifter & brake levers can be adjusted, so the thought about lifting you boot i don't think is valid.
The lower pegs can make it more likely to drag a peg if you are an aggressive rider, thought I'd point that part out.
If you would be happy having a higher position (in other words you aren't inseam challenged) I think the higher seat is the way to go. I wonder if the higher seat is more padded, might have a happier bottom with the higher seat if that is the case.

Gilly
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 5:27 pm
Enthusiast

Quote:
Thoughts?
Yes...make sure your knee pads are not causing the problem. Piloting the K required more knee bend than my R bikes. I was getting knee pain in my right knee and traced it to my Santiago knee pads pressing against my knee cap--the resulting pressure causing discomfort. Switching to my Roadcrafter or my Savanah pants with a slightly looser fit around my knee solved the problem.

Just a thought.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 29th, 2009, 8:43 pm
Enthusiast

I have a gray standard heated seat for sale
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 12:12 am
Noob

I'm having the same issues with my '07 GT. 6'3" with a 36" inseam and after about 120 miles, my knees start to ache. Seat is in the highest position with a small Airhawk pad added and a foot peg lowering kit by Suburban Machinery that I installed just a few days ago.. Drops the pegs about an inch or so. While the gear shifter is adjustable, according to the instructions from Suburban Machinery, the brake lever is not, but I didn't take a close look myself yet. I've touched my toes on several occasions now in turns, so I'm not sure I will be keeping the SM.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 5:23 am Thread Starter
DrD

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGHEMWICK
I have a gray standard heated seat for sale
That is for an '07. I thought the '07 and '08 seat pans were different. Anybody point me to a thread discussing that?

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 6:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
I thought my '08 K1200GT fit me fine. Well, it does under many circumstances. But this past Sunday I went on a 10 hour, 500+ mile ride. On the second half of the ride my right knee started having fits; pain when moving on the seat, a deep ache starting. This could be eliminated by stopping and walking a little. However, the fits would start up again 20 or so minutes later and that is too much stopping.

I'm thinking I need just a little more seat to peg separation. My seat is the 'low' seat put in its high position. This is less than half an inch lower than the 'standard' seat in its low position, but 1.5" below that seat in its high position. (I should have gotten the standard seat to start with, but I got a great deal and my legs felt fine for normal length rides.)

It looks like my choices are: swapping my heated, low seat for a heated standard seat (the passenger seat doesn't make any difference); getting a peg lowering kit. If the pegs are lowered, though, then shifting can require lifting the boot off the peg.

Thoughts?
P.M. Sent
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 8:55 am
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrD
That is for an '07. I thought the '07 and '08 seat pans were different. Anybody point me to a thread discussing that?
The seat pans may be different. BMW switched in the middle of the 2007 K1200GT production run. Early 2007 seats match the 2006 seat. Late 2007 seats match the 2008 seat. The 2006/early2007 seat is widely regarded as less comfortable than the late2007/2008 seat. They come in rider-pillion pairs. Because of the different seat pans, mixed rider and pillion seats are not compatible. You cannot fit a 2006 front seat to a 2008 pillion seat or visa versa.

This can be a problem if you buy a rider-only custom seat. The vendor may expect their custom seat to mate with a 2006 pillion seat, but you have a 2008 seat. You MUST check with the custom seat maker before ordering sight unseen. More than one rider has been bitten (read: screwed) by a seat vendor who put it somewhere in the tiny print, but didn't check carefully enough. Better yet, bring your bike to the vendor and have them make a seat to measure.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 9:07 am Thread Starter
DrD

You guys are great! Thanks for all the input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode