Done blowed up again!!! - K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 3:15 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Angry Done blowed up again!!!

Well, the GT went on the hook for the third time in its short life again last week. (Actually an enclosed trailer.)

I got the most hideous "cam chain tensioner" sound after stopping for lunch on a nice mountain ride. Since I have BMW roadside assistance on speed dial, I had it towed. The closest dealer to where I was is open until 18:00 and we arrived at 17:55. They couldn't have been nicer!

The bad news is they replaced the tensioner and it didn't help. It sounded like the thing was out of oil, but it was full and when they drained it, very clean. They are now starting the slow process of tearing the motor apart. (Slow because of the extended warranty folks, not the techs)

I drove to work in the S.O.'s (Significant Others) truck after she got tired of me taking her bike for a few days last week.

I'll keep Y'all posted on the latest failure of the GT.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 4:58 pm
Veteran

Things that make you go "hmmmm..." ?

After your two final drives going bad and now this too? You're bike is possessed by the ghost of "Mechanic's Future."

I wondered why BMW AG decided to leave that big old heavy spring out of the new style cam tensioner when I recently changed mine. Probably too much tension on the nylon guide and it got chewed up to nothing but flakes in the oil filter or elsewhere?

Then their was their first "fix" about shimming that big old heavy spring with washers to quiet the tensioner and maybe went too far overboard? More grinding up tensioners to come?

The new style appears to be some check-valve reservoir. That little O-ring on the new style that seals inside the plunger makes me think they just want it to act as a hydraulic lifter of sort instead of a really stout spring tensioner capable of shredding nylon against metal in short order.

Just my speculation of course.

New style '09 switchgear does seem to presenting erratic problems too. Since the Can-Bus appeared, they've gotten the wires smaller and smaller yet their gorillas still Tie-Wrap them enough to cut through them little things (i.e. brake cables on earlier models). Sometimes I wonder if BMW AG has a spy from Honda running around in their plant doing these insidious things....

Good luck getting in on the road soon. I know BMW SF will do good since they (BMW NA) had to send one lady's bike from another dealer to them since her dealer couldn't fix it.

Mack
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 10:20 pm Thread Starter
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMack

Good luck getting in on the road soon. I know BMW SF will do good since they (BMW NA) had to send one lady's bike from another dealer to them since her dealer couldn't fix it.

Mack
Thanks Mack. It is at Cal BMW in mountain View though, since it was closest to where I broke down. They seem to be handling it well, too bad that is way outta my way!

Not just two final drives though:
Starter relay, clutch, two batteries, water pump, broken handlebar, and perhaps some other stuff I can't remember...

I'll keep Y'all posted...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old Apr 30th, 2009, 11:09 pm
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeniciaRT
Not just two final drives though:
Starter relay, clutch, two batteries, water pump, broken handlebar, and perhaps some other stuff I can't remember...
Maybe it's time for whatever the CA Lemon Law is to spring you into something more desirable? Not that the '09 would be any better as it might not start at all with their funky new (cheap) switchgear, but your '07 seems to be a nightmare. Your mileage may be a curse though as were most Iron Butt bikes in 2007 that crapped out.

Cal BMW was pretty cool when I was in there too. Dunno about their service department as I've never dealt with them personally.

Fwiw, San Jose BMW had a lead on the dual-plug R1100/R1150 and was offering kits and machining before BMW AG did with regards to the "surging issues" that BMW NA/AG never admitted to at their West Coast Rally in Oregon - even after they began dual-sparking the opposed 1200 R-239 engines. Mine never did surge though.

BMW just ought to junk their batteries outright. Odyssey's I've had ran light years around them in start-ability. BMW AG needs to address their ongoing "issues" before they toss in new junk like "crappy" intermittent switchgear. Soon, they won't start at all (Opps! They already do that. Never mind.).

Good luck!

Mack
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:41 am

K12S Blown transmission

Hey Rich,

Sorry to hear about your woes. My bike is also at CalMoto but I am getting a new transmission, the third one, after it would no longer stay in 5th gear. That along with three clutches, a final drive and a slew of other parts makes this my last BMW. Reliable is the last word I would use to describe my experiences with BMW motorcycles.

Cheers!

Todd
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 5:55 am

Sorry to hear it Richard. I used to complain about my first BMW being a lemon, but compared to your current GT, I take it all back.

You coming to Torrey? If so first drink is on me.

BrianT

07 K1200GT
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old May 2nd, 2009, 9:02 am
Addict

The heart of the problem is the lenght of the timing chain. The chain is way to long, I would like to see them replace the timming chain with gears. That would solve the problem once and for all.

MOA Member #106320
2003 R1150RT Titan Silver
2008 K1200GT Dark Graphite
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 1:16 pm Thread Starter
Addict

sorry for the delay guys. had international guests while the bike sat three weeks at the dealer.

So they changed the cam chain guide(s) under the extended warranty, and I started it up at the dealer and it sounded like hell still. The service adviser asked "what you wanted it fixed right?" Funny, but I wasn't too amused. It was the clutch.

I was headed to Utah, so I took it anyway. A few hundred miles into the trip, on comes the yellow triangle and the engine symbol comes up. Detour to Minden, Nevada where a friend has a GS911 and the error is "knock sensor." I don't know which one, since they both throw the code but were wildly different voltages in real time. My theory is the clutch basket is making so much noise it is freaking out the knock sensors.

I'll update it again when I get back from Alaska on my 140,000 mile RT.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 1:57 pm
Veteran

Good lord!

This is a 2007 right?

While being driven by a BMW mechanic to get my rental car, he sort of hinted "Don't buy a 2009 1300 for another year." I find it sometimes interesting in what they won't tell you.

I sort of miss my old 1996 "Never fell over nor broke down RT" as well, even thought it only had 100,000 miles on it.

GT is fun, but it makes me wonder at times....

Now to see all their newest <1100cc bikes with belts and chains makes me wonder about their German engineering. To make these new ones go more than 1000 miles in a short sprint seems to be a bit of a stretch on the term "reliability."

Mack
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old May 22nd, 2009, 2:30 pm
IBR# 366

Bummer, Richard, sorry to hear you're still having trouble. After two final drives, two clutches, two center stands, one air box, etc. on my '07, I know exactly how you feel.

The best analogy I can come up with is an abusive marriage. The riding (sex) is really great, but you just never know when you're gonna get smacked down hard for no reason at all. Then you dust yourself off and get back on and it's all great again until the next time . . .

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles and counting...
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 60K miles miles and counting...
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#145, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

All lower 48 states plus Alaska on the K13GT in two weeks . . .

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the K-Bikes.com - Excellence in Motion forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode